• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
BrettMan said:
My wife is from VA Beach. VA Beach is very popular, but the beaches aren't even in the same ballpark as the Emerald Coast. The sand is tan and course and the water is murky. The same can be said for North Carolina beaches. I think that those that are lucky enough to spend time on the Emerald Coast get spoiled by the exceptional beauty, but that doesn't mean other beaches aren't still very desirable.

Never understood the draw of Hilton Head either. Beaches stink... literally:blink:

Carter

Beach Comber
May 20, 2005
Marin County, CA
Here is link to one pic of Surfside Beach from the deck of the house I just bought. At least gives a general idea of beach and water. Water is not 'muddy' but it is not blue either. It is a nice beach - I would even say great, but it is not 'world class' and amazing to me how different it is given that it is the very same gulf shared with Emerald Coast. The Brazos river opes into the gulf right there, so like Apalach, that prob contributes to water color in addition to the darker sand. I did a fair bit of research before going, so was prepared for the water color, etc.

FYI, In Surfside, the main Pedestrian beach in town does not allow vehicles. The part where I bought does. With young kids, I would like the no vehicle part, but I did not like pedestrian beach near as much and Pedestrian also has serious erosion probs (vs accretion where I bought 3/4 mile or so NE of pedestrian).

Tried to post some more pics to the photo gallery, but had tech prob.s. Will try again later.

http://sowal.com/bb/gallery/files/5/7/0/117_1761.jpg

hutch

Beach Lover
I agree with Kurt. We are spoiled. But, I am afraid we are going to be the next South Miami beach within the next 5 or 10 years. The old Florida charm is slowing going away. The Destin harbor is changing and soon most of our Charter fishing fleets will be gone. Developers are making to much money on harbor property to allow them to be used for the fishing fleets. Instead of Texas beaches take a look at the Big Bend of Florida. Steinhatchee and Keaton Beach. Looks like Destin and the "A" 20 years ago.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Cork On the Ocean said:
Just read an article about Port St Joe.
... still trying to figure out what they're gonna do about that stinky Arizona chemical plant. Anybody know if that's ever gonna go away? JOE sold all those lots at Watermark(?) on the bay a couple of years ago but theres still only 1 or 2 houses there....
Arizona Chemical primary purpose in Port St Joe was providing chemicals to the papermill which is now vacant land, cleared and ready for development. The plant is sitting on waterfront property, and there is talk in the area that Arizona will be relocating. That entire area is rapidly growing and prices are nearly as strong as SoWal. Watermark is poised to make a bunch of profits. JOE is moving the main road, Hwy 98, farther north, and prices will go up even more when that happens. WaterMark has a lot of land, including that on the north side of the road.
The town of Port St Joe is a cute town, and has recently undergone some facelifts. More changes are on the way. Watermark still has only about 4 houses, but just wait. Do you remember how long it took for WaterColor to kick into gear. Two years ago, you didn't see owners and guests, now it is packed and more people are on the way.

Buckhead Rick

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
As Kurt said sometime ago "it is the water" SoWal is the perfect storm (excuse the pun), white sand, gulf, (not Bay) no heavy industry, sitting between two nice towns, Destin/PC, what the state doesn't own the main developer does, and if you agree or not, Joe develops with an over all plan. Go to St. George island, their plan is no plan. They have more "for rent signs" per block than SoWal has in the county, trailers next to million dollar homes, restaurants that make the local Tom Thumb's hot dogs look good. And in most of our area you can walk or ride your bike. That is what poeple are paying for. You can pay less but you will get less.

Carter

Beach Comber
May 20, 2005
Marin County, CA
Hutch- I poked around just a little in big bend/Steinhatchee and Keaton Beach area on the net. Are there substantial sandy beaches there? I did not find much info, and the few pics I saw showed mostly grass & bramble growth right up (and often into) the water. Any links or pictures or info you could pass on? Thanks

BrettMan

Beach Comber
Apr 15, 2005
Well, I just sold the lots I bought in Beachtown Galveston. We need the buying power to build elsewhere, so we decided to sell a lot sooner than we thought. We got $85K more than we paid and we'll close before the first payment is due. Gotta love it...

I wist we could have held on to that though.. they aren't making any more gulf front land...