• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LJ123

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2009
Build people build

I think building is cheaper compared to buying.
Thank-you Michlele.
There are so many nice lots for sale at an affordable price now,we will build what you want, within your budget, in a timely manner. We've been building along this Coast for 25 years!!! Cottages to award winning Showcase Homes!!

David W. Thomas Homes, LLC
e-mail: ffimg1@aol.com

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
Horton, how did you arrive at the $200 per/SF building cost? Thanks.

Tom Curlin

Beach Comber
Jun 19, 2006
That is my guestimate based upon historical posts in this forum. Also both melscuba and Franny indicated $200 to $225 per/SF in this thread. That is for the structure and does not include raw land or land improvements/landscaping.

I am open to additional feedback on the subject. For example one issue I have considered recently is the question of architect fees. They could add $50,000 to $100,000 or more to the cost of a project if you are required to develop a unique plan. I'm curious to hear if anyone agrees with this range.

I spent about $25k on a renovation plan for an existing home a few years ago just to get to the bid stage with a builder, so I suspect the fees for a unique plan for new construction that is taken to completion could easily approach $100k.

Thoughts anyone?

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Can anyone estimate a reasonable cost per square foot to build a house in Watersound Beach ? Granite, high end appliances ( viking and subzero ), fireplace, lots of wood on the walls, hardwood floors ( probably red or white oak stained )and either hardy board or wood shingle exterior. Just the cost to build....not architect fees or landscaping or the lot cost. Thanks.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It really depends on the house - but I would think that if you worked w/ your contractor and architect you could easily do something vanilla for $200-250 these days.

LJ123

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2009
You are right Josh

That must be one of those fancy vanillas. You should be getting the works for $200-$250 in construction cost.

Those costs are right on!

We are a custom builder and can build a home with beautiful custom finishes and meeting all the codes for building a structure on the Coast.

I am talking about WaterColor and WaterSound where we must go through the ARB, Architecurial Review Board

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Goofer wanted a price for Watersound Beach w/ granite, viking and subzero appliances, a fireplace, lots of wood on the walls, and oak floors.

IMO that's $200-250 a sqr ft and can be quite a bit more depending on specific design features and finishes.