• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
CNN.Com sports had a very interesting article about how this "retirement" was handled rather badly. It was left to the players to make the main announcement. Neither T.K. Weatherall nor the AD made any announcements nor were even available for comment. I know Bobby's reluctance to actually retire was the main reason, but all of these guys should have pulled together to do this with a bit more class.
On the bright side, they (CNN) have recapped Bobby's career and made it very clear what an awesome job he did for Seminole football .

Last edited:

JEANNE

Beach Comber
Bobby

Here in Tallahassee, it is a mixed bag of emotions. While pretty much everyone loves Bobby, we knew it was time for him to go. Lots of different opinions about how it was handled, but nonetheless, a sad day for Tallahassee and FSU. He will be missed and many will have a hole in their hearts for a while, but football is business and the program needs a change. Happy Retirement to Bobby and his family! GO FSU!!!:lolabove:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I wanted to re-check the facts before I said something erroneous, but here are the facts: Florida State, under Bobby Bowden's leadership, went fourteen consecutive seasons with ten victories or more! You just have to be proud of that.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

You do know that TK Wetherell announced his retirement several months ago, and that SI and/or SI.com is a piece of dung?

Not saying it couldn't have been handled better, but SI has a long history of going out of their way to paint Florida State in an unfavorable light. And if it had to happen at all, at least TK manned up (he and Bobby are very close) and did it so that his replacement wouldn't have to next year. :blink:

I just wish Bobby had gone out on his own. But he wanted "one more year."

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Well-documented; what's your point? (never mind, I won't be able to answer from work. :bang:)

34 years as head coach at Florida State. Not the only coaching job he ever had. Remember he was hung in effigy at West Virginia - which makes the as-yet-not-quite-official matchup at the Gator Bowl all that more fitting.
it's too much of a job at 80.

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
TK is a joke. He claimed he had some kind of agreement with the NCAA on settling their academic scandal case. The NCAA immediately said they had no deal and there was nothing in writing.

But Bobby was, first and foremost, the one whose behavior was disgraceful. His response about academic cheating? "I can't do nothing about that. It ain't my problem". What??!!

Time and time again Bobby put his own interests before the interests of the football program. Too much money is invested in the FSU football program for the administration not to even try to appoint the best head coach available. Bobby received nine years of goodwill for building FSU's football program. That's an awful long time provided, and an awful lot of money spent, on goodwill.

The only viable alternative for FSU was to offer Bobby one more season to perhaps avoid the acrimony accompanying Bobby's forced retirement. It would have probably meant more millions wasted, and another season of stalled progress, but if Bobby amicably resigned at the end of next season, it may have been worth it to endure one more year of senility in exchange for avoiding an acrimonious divorce. I'm sure that option was dicussed by FSU's administration, and the administration chose to remove Bobby immediately based on information of which we are not entirely privy. In any case, Bobby has received all the deference and goodwill from FSU he had coming to him and then some.

He's been more than well paid in money and honors by FSU for what he accomplished. And he brought his problems on himself by hanging around way past the time when a more honorable, less selfish man would have voluntarily resigned without being shoved.

If that wasn't bad enough, he lets his equally out of it wife run her mouth to any state or regional media outlet who'd listen, regarding how badly he was being treated and ignoring his job performance as a reason for the end of the Bowden lovefest in Tally.

When the Jeff-a-rooski blew up in his face, that was a perfect time to gracefully step aside with him, rather than allowing his son to be thrown under the bus alone and defiantly stand by as the vulture/coach in waiting was brought in, and surprise, surprise, things haven't really improved!Mickey Andrews gets a shoulder ride and a brand new truck in the last home game and Bobby gets a kick in the arse. Poetic justice? I wish they would burn the place down and start again. Next time, ask me how i really feel.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I hate to see such a legend be forced into this, I wish him and the Noles the best.