• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Charley

Beach Crab
Dec 4, 2009
My child goes to ECMS. Last night I heard a child brought a gun to school and was "arrested". The only response so far I have heard is that it's being taken care of and the students are safe. Does anyone else know what's going on? What steps are they going to take to make sure a "real gun" doesn't get into the school?

Charley

Beach Crab
Dec 4, 2009
I am going to pick the kids up now and hope there will be a letter to parents about what happened and what they plan to do. And I don't care that it's a BB gun. We shouldn't take any chances. Next time it could be a loaded gun. Just because we live in a sweet little beach town doesn't mean we are above such things....sometimes I know I've felt that way.

ShallowsFuzz

Beach Lover
Dec 26, 2006
Point Washington
(log Fuzz off, log Nole on)

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
OK, let's try again...

Kids use backpacks, most families in Walton County own at least one gun. :blink: Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now.

I do think a move toward clear backpacks (which I think are already required at Freeport) might be appropriate. I know that sounds like a cop-out answer, but the next step up would be a metal detector.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Because God knows having parents properly secure their guns will NEVER happen! :angry:

Not around here, where many parents - including some in my extended family (sorry, Fuzz) - give their kids BB guns for their 5th bday and 410 pump (rifles? shotguns?) for their 10th. By the time they are 16, they have a gun rack in their truck. :bang:

And that would be fine, if the kids were responsible and had been taught gun safety and how/when to use a gun. But instead they are leaping out the door on Christmas morning hollering "I get to shoot something!" :shock:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Horrible gun safety drives me crazy - it's such an easy and basic thing that would save thousands of lives if people just did it!

Kids can be safe with guns (maybe not at age 5 though) with the proper instruction and supervision. We learned to shoot when we were 9 or 10, and would have gotten a severe whooping if we even THOUGHT of exhibiting some of the careless behavior I constantly see from others.

There is no need for a gun on a daily basis in Sowal and many other places if you are a law abiding citizen.

And there is certainly no need for a 16 year old to be driving around with one.