• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The last time I was in Walmart many moons back, I did some price-checking and my contact lens solutions were $2.50 (25%) more per bottle there than Target's everyday prices on the same product.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I am not a fan of Wal-mart, I avoid them as much as possible and shop Target, mainly because shopping at Wal-mart is always so chaotic compared to Target.

I am curious though, what is the difference in Wal-mart and Publix, both are big box stores, not local mom and pop. Publix seems to be acceptable to some while Wal-mart isn't. :dunno:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Publix in its current incarnation actually treats its employees very well compared to other stores in its category. Their employee stock plan has been a very nice windfall to many a service worker and generally hit the lists of 'best companies to work for'.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Is Wal-mart really that much cheaper?

I bet that when you factor in the additional time and gas (not to mention frustration), Publix 2 for 1s and coupons, comparing cost per units, and the fact that I plan meals in the store based on what is on sale, there isn't much of a difference - at least for my admittedly unique household.

And I am quite willing to pay a little bit extra (less than a glass of wine at many local restaurants) for a clean, friendly store, w/ staff that actually helps me and isn't a visual blight, so there is no choice at all for me.

Yes, I see the commercials, but since I am not a family of four who regularly eats breakfast at fast food establishments or someone who eats a lot of prepared food items, I don't think those savings apply to me.

Perhaps I am a lucky Walmart shopper because our Walmart is right on my way from work (no extra time or gas wasted) is very clean, and newly re-organized so that the aisles are clear and wide. It is cheaper for my family of three plus 2 dogs for me to shop there. I buy most of my paper products, cosmetics, and cleaning supplies there because I do save money. Again, I must be lucky because our Walmart has a very friendly staff and I know several people who work there.

I too plan my meals and cook from scratch most every night. I use very little pre-packaged foods. I can't remember the last fastfood breakfast anyone in my family has eaten. I eat oatmeal or cereal at work and so does hubby, son eats breakfast at school.

I also do not think that the products that are sold at Walmart are any more icky, or cheaply made, or yucky that at any other store including Target, Sears..etc. Case in point...all of my bedding, and towels, dish towels and pretty much most of my clothes were bought at Walmart. I use/wear/wash them everyday and they still look pretty darn good to be as old as they are. I get that people don't like Walmart, I get that they have their reasons why they don't like them, but for those of us who are not lucky enough to have a lot of extra money, it suits our purpose I am sure to the dismay of others.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
The amazing thing about the Internet is you can find a wide variety of information. You can find info about the evil of Wal-mart and yet you can also find the opposite too.

You can also find some dirt on Publix and Target if you look. I figure all stores, have some bad and some good to them.

As KDW stated for some Wal-mart is convenient, saves them time and money and is staffed by locals they know.

Interesting article about Wal-mart by a journalist that decided to find out for himself if Wal-mart was the evil machine it was protrayed to be.

CARPE DIEM: Wal-Mart Is A Better Place to Work Than Both Target and The Small Mom-and-Pop Stores

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I can't speak for everyone, but IMO Publix and Wal-mart are 2 very different beasts. Everything is different from the appearance of the store's exterior to their involvement in the community and the overall pleasantness of the shopping experience.

While Publix may be compared to Walmart because of its size (though a Publix is a fraction of the size of a Wal-mart), its approach to business and the community is very different - and the statistics and cold hard facts back up my gut instincts and ranting.

Publix is an employee owned company (the largest in the US with more than 50% employee ownership) regularly recognized for customer service and being a good employer.

Publix has been listed by Fortune magazine as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in America every year since the list was created in 1998 and it is also listed as one of the top 25 best paying companies on the list.

Publix is also very philanthropic, among the top 10 for donations to the United Way. They also raise money & donate food for a variety of other charities.

In addition to their branching out w/ their Greenwise brand and dedicated Greenwise stores (w/ free wi-fi) Publix also offers cooking lessons and tips for its customers to help improve health and nutrition.

I have also yet to hear of a Main Street or small town decimated by a Publix moving to town, a Publix locking its employees inside the store after hours, seen birds flying around the store pooing on the produce, or heard the billion + tab for the health care and other social programs the taxpayers are paying for Publix employees because they go out of their way to deny benefits and pay well.

Publix may be a growing 5 state supermarket chain, but they behave like a small neighborhood grocery should - special orders, personal service, customization to locales, and a sense of community and humor.

Does anyone know the manager of the Wal-mart? Ever seen him/her?

The last time I saw the Publix manager he was honking and waving to us during the Elf ride and it's a rare occassion for me to go into the store and not have him greet me or see him helping others.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I definitely believe everything Scooterbug posted about Publix, as I know she does her research, but in many places the very same can be said for Wal-mart.

The local Wal-mart where my daughter lives is everything to their community that SB described about the local publix.

Publix is not squeaky clean though as a corporation. They are buying tomatoes from growers accused by Florida officials for enslaving their workers. Publix was asked to intervene and speak out on behalf of the workers and they refused.

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/article1056261.ece

I just think at times Wal-mart gets a bum rap for being the evil that it does not always deserve.

And yes I know the manager of the Wal-mart where my daughter lives. It is a small town and all the workers are locals.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I can certainly believe that in a small town a Wal-mart can be a place where you know the employees and have a more pleasant experience, that has just never been my experience.

Scooterbro worked for Wal-mart as a teen and the "liberal dress policy" and "tests to improve your salary" mentioned in Minnie's article had quite a different spin. If you had half a brain you took these "tests" and got a 10-25 cent pay increase.................which didn't offset your lack of benefits and crappy schedule (which made Mama Scooterbug tell him to get a different job). The reason Wal-mart now emphasizes taking breaks etc. is because they have lost major lawsuits for not doing so.

Also, not saying Publix is perfect, but I certainly approve of them much more than Wal-mart. Find the tomato issue troubling and will check it out further.

P.S. I don't shop at Publix or Target instead of Wal-mart because I have a lot of "extra money", but because I have done the math and factored in what I think to be important. As I stated earlier, in the case of my unique (and quite Scotch BTW) household it's the difference each month of $20 or less and hours of my time, so I have no problem justifying it.

kemosabe

Beach Comber
Oct 5, 2008
Is Wal-mart really that much cheaper?

I bet that when you factor in the additional time and gas (not to mention frustration), Publix 2 for 1s and coupons, comparing cost per units, and the fact that I plan meals in the store based on what is on sale, there isn't much of a difference - at least for my admittedly unique household.

As a vacationer I really have no interest in looking for 2 for 1 coupons. I like to shop at walmart because I know I am not getting screwed. Like others have said before, 98 is not exacatly scenic 98, get over it.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It's not a coupon, it's an instore sale.

To each their own - I'll be enjoying the beach or state parks while you shell out $$ to come here and spend hours sitting in traffic to shop at a Wal-mart.

Last edited: