• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I don't get it... We live in a world where the majority of society works jobs they hate so we can buy more junk they don't need.

I really can not see what benefit this Walmart will do for our area in the long term.

Heck, I think they quit selling bullets years ago!

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I don't get it... We live in a world where the majority of society works jobs they hate so we can buy more junk they don't need.

I really can not see what benefit this Walmart will do for our area in the long term.

Heck, I think they quit selling bullets years ago!
I'm not sure at what point essential items became junk.

julier

Beach Comber
Sep 18, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
Im sorry, but so many comments, and I still have to add my own... I hate wal mart. I don't care where they hang their hat, wherever they are, and whatever they call themselves, whenever I go into their store(S) I spend more than I have budgeted, because everything is cheap, and appealing and made in some country that is an enemy of our own (recently bought sheets made in pakistan, oops!), and so I choose not to shop there. I don't care if they do have lower prices. For every low price there is a corresponding labor cost and I can't see buying a $5 pillow knowing that some pakistani laborer made it at a cost that actually made $5 a profitable price for the WM. We do not need a wal mart to provide jobs like that to our community. Surely we are more creative than that. I know we are.

julier

Beach Comber
Sep 18, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
ok, one more thing. Yes it is cheap to shop at the Wm. Cheap being the operative word. many people are employed by wal mart. that is also a good thing. However, many people are also employed by many MANY other businesses in our area. we do not need a wal mart. we need quality businesses with quality goods to offer. Goodwill is a better place to shop than the Wm. go there.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
I am not a fan of Wal-mart, I avoid them as much as possible and shop Target, mainly because shopping at Wal-mart is always so chaotic compared to Target.

I am curious though, what is the difference in Wal-mart and Publix, both are big box stores, not local mom and pop. Publix seems to be acceptable to some while Wal-mart isn't. :dunno:
Publix, in all the communities that I shop in (Destin, Sandestin and SoWal) employee LOCALS and those that are challenged in some way or another! I am always greeted with a smile and a good word. Publix is NOT an uncaring "BOX STORE". I consider it to be a local establishment. Would, that we could, say the same of Walmart and other chains