• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kemosabe

Beach Comber
Oct 5, 2008
Yes, I am not talking about purchasing flat screens from walmart. The eggs, bread, detegent, etc. are usually cheaper everyday at walmart. I am sure if I lived in sowal I would know all the secret deals and get the 20% local discounts for lunch but my id says I live in st. louis so walmart it is.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
Here's another example. Suppose I need ink cartridges for my printer. Where am I supposed to get them? I have no choice but to go to Destin. I can go to Best Buy, I think Office Max, or maybe Wal-mart. We need something close by for things like that. Walmart can fill that void. They sell the same ink cartridges as anybody. Everyone says buy local. One way to improve the odds of me doing that is to bring in businesses that are more accommodating than what we currently have. I guarantee you that when I do end up in Destin I inevitably head over to the Fresh Market over there rather than shop at a local Publix. That's just how it is. You want me to shop local? Then quit giving me so many compelling reasons to shop elsewhere.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
My quote merely reminded me of this thread. If the majority of consumers were to just shop at places like Walmart for just essential items they would not be open. They sell lots of junk.

In any event they serve a need for a varied demographic. I agree I will never understand how people can be seduced by the allure of inexpensive junk. Some people really like to shop and have stuff. That's their business and I would say their problem.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I guess the place could be good for something...:blink:

www.peopleofwalmart.com

Yes we need at least one store around here for computer supplies. Walmart generally has a pretty good selection of hard drives, paper, cartridges etc. Usually it takes no time at all to check out because the electronics has it's own registers and the lines are usually small.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
In any event they serve a need for a varied demographic.

LS, I agree with what you are saying and I understand but we have survived out here quite nicely for a long, long time without it. Sometimes, having everything at ones immediate disposal is not the answer to create a long term sustainable community.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
LS, I agree with what you are saying and I understand but we have survived out here quite nicely for a long, long time without it. Sometimes, having everything at ones immediate disposal is not the answer to create a long term sustainable community.

Well, like I said, it will increase the odds of me buying locally. I will literally have more time and money to spend in SoWal if I can avoid trips to Destin.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

That's the thing- I don't need or want one here. I get to Destin enough for other reasons so I combine my errands/appointments. Why isn't the Destin Walmart (or PCB or DeF) close enough? I know people are so lazy that they will drive around forever for a closer parking spot or demand a drive through instead of get out of the car and walk, but now too lazy to drive 30 minutes to Walmart?

(Edit- let me answer my own question- of course Walmart knows that many people would be thrilled if the store was a lot closer, or they wouldn't be building it!)

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Yes we need at least one store around here for computer supplies. Walmart generally has a pretty good selection of hard drives, paper, cartridges etc. Usually it takes no time at all to check out because the electronics has it's own registers and the lines are usually small.

I find Office Depot online is a great place to shop for computer supplies; they deliver and often for free.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
does this mean that state forest land is not as protected as we think it is?

Yes, that is exactly what it means. This is one of the things that worries me the most about development around here--so many are complacent about new development because they say we have so much state land--but, we used to have more and more than a few times, there has been an attempt to take over the state forest land. As far as I know(and NDY may know more) the Town Center land is the only "success" story about a takeover of the forest. But, if it happened once, it can happen again.