• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
That's true what you said L.Sam in your last post. Another point I made earlier and no one took me up on was basically, what is the difference between buying paper towels at Walmart versus Target? And we have to think about people in the service industry who are often looking for the best price when shopping for their families. The people who wash our cars, make our beds in hotels, clean our fish, groom our pets, clean our offices, pick up our trash, landscape our businesses, build our houses, bus our tables, wash our dishes in restaurants, etc...

Again, I still think that the Walmart in Destin is close enough, but there's a lot of sides and situations to look at regarding this debate.

Still waiting to hear from Target shoppers regarding my post a few up ^

G

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Who the heck is JOE anyway???

:yikes: Holy crap! Take cover, lest you get hit with a lightening bolt!

...it's not a Who--it's a What.

JOE is a company that owns the panhandle and the politicos who live here.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
:yikes: Holy crap! Take cover, lest you get hit with a lightening bolt!

...it's not a Who--it's a What.

JOE is a company that owns the panhandle and the politicos who live here.

LOL, See, Shelly, this is why you can't leave us! :rotfl:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
You gotta remember I'm a newbie - sooooooooo much to learn.

Thank you - I'll re-read some and try to make sense of JOE!

G

Last edited:

PC

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2005
TN
You gotta remember I'm a newbie - sooooooooo much to learn.

Thank you - I'll re-read some and try to make sense of JOE!

G

Gidget,

St. JOE is a paper company that owns sizeable acreage in the panhandle of FL. JOE is their stock ticker symbol. They have built several develpments along the coast, some of them you may know about are Watercolor and Watersound. They also owned the land that the new International airport is being built.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Last edited:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Gidget, my laughing is not about your post...it is about Shelly's perspective and sense of humor...that I will truly miss when she/he leaves us...

Oh anyone can laugh at me anyway :rotfl: but I knew where you were not. :D So I am in the dark again - Shelly is leaving???

And thank you PC for filling me in on JOE - saved me a lot of brain work :wave:

G

PC

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2005
TN
Oh anyone can laugh at me anyway :rotfl: but I knew where you were not. :D So I am in the dark again - Shelly is leaving???

And thank you PC for filling me in on JOE - saved me a lot of brain work :wave:

G

Your welcome G.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The reality is, people have already admitted that they buy a lot of things on line or stock up when they are in Destin or Panama City. Either way the money is not going into SoWal. A store, any store, on W. Hewit would change all that. 30A is great for places like bars restaurants and coffee shops where atmosphere makes a difference. Walmart will never replace some of the unique high-end stores and art galleries. Sundog books carries titles you can't even find at Barnes and Noble. So let's be realistic when considering what sort of dollars Walmart is going to pull out of 30A. I think a lot of people are strategically planning their trips and already spending their money elsewhere. Truth hurts. Don't shoot the messenger.

Exactly. The knee jerk Wal-Mart haters live in an alternate universe where markets don't change and we patronize the butcher, blacksmith and cobbler in three different locations. Getting hot and bothered about Wal-Mart's business model is so 1998. It is far better to accept the reality that Wal-Mart and other big boxes are ubiquitous and more productivity will be realized working with that reality rather than investing energy into the lost cause of what consumers have rejected.

Maybe you caught Food Inc. at MountainFilm this year. Here is a fascinating, enlightening bit from the film. Gary Hirshberg, CEO of Stonyfield Farm gets it. All the cut and paste Wal-Mart vilification posted above is "preaching to the convinced" as he puts it. Watch, learn, adapt and embrace change!
YouTube- Food Inc Part 7