• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
So, how many folks will want to fly FROM those towns to vacation in SoWal or PCB?

Nashville - Lots of folks there coming here already, so there's some promise, particularly for weekends. For longer visits, seems unlikely - you do get to bring all your stuff in the car/SUV.

Houston - Could be possible. But, we're competing with the Texas beaches, which are much closer.

Baltimore - Does anyone there know we exist? Sounds like a ripe prospect for a PR campaign.

Orlando - Say what? Come FROM Orlando to vacation where?

I can tell you when we lived in Alaska, that we went to Disney World twice on the way to SoWal. Once, while there, we ran into friends from Alaska staying at the same Disney Hotel (The Grand Floridian). Not unusual for Alaskans to put in several stops on their trip "Outside." Another time, we ran into friends from Alaska on an elevator at the Holiday Inn in New York. Our friends from Europe always go to several places when they travel to the USA.

Likewise, when we travel to Europe, we've never just gone to one city or place. Someone better get busy putting together some Disney/SoWal packages.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
As someone who owns on 30A -- but lives most of the year in DC, I can't tell you how excited I am about all this. I can now get to the beach door to door in about 4 hours -- and only 2 hours and ten minutes of that is flying time.

Kurt, I think you would enjoy a trip to Baltimore -- but, remember BWI is only about 35 minutes from your nation's capital. There is plenty to do here -- the smithsonian etc (and you can see where all your hard-earned tax money goes.)

I can tell you, THIS is why we bought in Sowal two years ago. We had heard this might be coming and knew it would be a game changer for the region. This is going to be a huge boost economically. You wanna know why? Cause once people get a load of how wonderful it is -- you won't be able to keep them away.

We are celebrating in DC -- and cannot wait for the Spring -- and direct service.

Bdub

Thanks - I have been to DC once for about a week and loved it. I think it should be required of all school kids. I am looking forward to getting back. I didn't know the airport was that close. I suppose the ideal would be to just get a cab or shuttle to a hotel within walking distance to the capital but I bet that would be pricey.

I can tell you when we lived in Alaska, that we went to Disney World twice on the way to SoWal. Once, while there, we ran into friends from Alaska staying at the same Disney Hotel (The Grand Floridian). Not unusual for Alaskans to put in several stops on their trip "Outside." Another time, we ran into friends from Alaska on an elevator at the Holiday Inn in New York. Our friends from Europe always go to several places when they travel to the USA.

Likewise, when we travel to Europe, we've never just gone to one city or place. Someone better get busy putting together some Disney/SoWal packages.

Good point - a lot of Europeans fly to Orlando first.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I guess I see these chosen cities as gateways to other cities- we are always going too have to fly through somewhere to get here or get out. Hopefully it will be cheaper for us to fly to Louisville or other places, even with a connection. I do wish Chicago had been on the list--

I am pretty excited about the Baltimore/DC opportunity!

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Thanks - I have been to DC once for about a week and loved it. I think it should be required of all school kids. I am looking forward to getting back. I didn't know the airport was that close. I suppose the ideal would be to just get a cab or shuttle to a hotel within walking distance to the capital but I bet that would be pricey.

Don't discount the metro if you can't get a good rate at a hotel near the capitol. It's cheap, easy and very accessible. The capitol hotel's can be pretty pricey depending on when you go and there are some sketchy areas. If Congress is in session, they are VERY pricey. Not surprisingly the most expensive times to stay in DC will be the first quarter of the year (Jan-March). The reason being is that this is the active time for appropriations requests and there are a ton of trade associations having conferences.

If you hit Summer recess, you won't have the opportunity to see Congress in session but the prices will drop. The NW section of DC is the area with the most hotels, food, things to see and is my preference.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Suzanne

Beach Lover
Dec 28, 2006
Seagrove
I predict the Baltimore region is going to be huge, we already have 2 weekends of visitors coming to visit us in SoWal. Carlisle PA and Reistertown MD.
And that is after the first day of posting the flights!

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Don't discount the metro if you can't get a good rate at a hotel near the capitol. It's cheap, easy and very accessible. The capitol hotel's can be pretty pricey depending on when you go and there are some sketchy areas. If Congress is in session, they are VERY pricey. Not surprisingly the most expensive times to stay in DC will be the first quarter of the year (Jan-March). The reason being is that this is the active time for appropriations requests and there are a ton of trade associations having conferences.

If you hit Summer recess, you won't have the opportunity to see Congress in session but the prices will drop. The NW section of DC is the area with the most hotels, food, things to see and is my preference.

Not to mention clean, and safe for the most part. My frst trip to DC we stayed in Maryland, and used the metro. It was great. I'm not a city person, but love DC. Very happy about this destination.

NE SoWaller

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2008
Omaha, Nebraska
After reading everything, I go back to my first question. Why Orlando? Get in the car and drive. The other three cities make complete sense. If the goal is to get people to SoWal, (I can never say PCB), then they should have had a mid-west city. I will have to fly Omaha-Chicago-Nashville-SoWal. It would have made more sense to have one from Chicago or St. Louis.

However, in 6 months they will probably add one of those two anyway, so why am I b*%^@ing anyway? :dunno:

At least I don't have to rely on Northworst to get me there anymore!!!:clap:

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Starting at $179/night - Downtown Washington DC Luxury Hotels near the White House | JW Marriott Washington DC

Doesn't seem too bad I suppose. I wouldn't have been surprised to see $400+ per night that close to the white house and capitol building.
Any downtown hotels in DC offer free shuttles from airport?

If anyone has suggestions please post.

If there's one thing that you can thank our politicians in Washington for, it is zone cab fares. Unless that has changed in the past few years I don't know that there are cheaper rates anywhere else.