• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
I am curious if anyone reading this post from outside the area is going to jump on board a Southwest jet and come visit us.
hails yeah!!! DC would be closest for me.
wait i'm confused (like freakin' always) not so sure 'bout it. they need to put raleigh on that list, stat!! pleeease.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I've sent an email to the million or so people I know in Houston. They are on the way. (Houston, Texas population 2,245,108 as of Jan. 1, 2009.) Perspective. Walton County population is around 55,000.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I've sent an email to the million or so people I know in Houston. They are on the way. (Houston, Texas population 2,245,108 as of Jan. 1, 2009.) Perspective. Walton County population is around 55,000.

You may need to order an extra sofa bed and stock up on toilet paper.

(I personally breathed a sigh of relief when I found out that there were no flights out of Philly or NY)

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
There's the Ravens too, but I've never met anyone that was a fan.

Me, :D we follow the Ravens because we know Michael Oher (the Blind Side) also have a very good friend that lives in Baltimore. :wave:

She is very interested in the flights, as she can come to SoWal now on her way to Orlando.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Minnie, You being the resident expert on traveling between SoWal and Orlando -- Give us some tips and suggestions on how and when you would make a reservation. Where would you suggest staying? What transportation would you suggest from airport to Orlando destination? What is a good time schedule for trip 3, 5 days, etc.? If people visiting Orlando want to come to the best beaches in the world, I can't imagine them going anywhere else but SoWal. Any suggestions for them? :wave:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Minnie, You being the resident expert on traveling between SoWal and Orlando -- Give us some tips and suggestions on how and when you would make a reservation. Where would you suggest staying? What transportation would you suggest from airport to Orlando destination? What is a good time schedule for trip 3, 5 days, etc.? If people visiting Orlando want to come to the best beaches in the world, I can't imagine them going anywhere else but SoWal. Any suggestions for them? :wave:

It really depends on what you want to see and do in Orlando, there is so much. Disney, Universal, Sea World etc.

If you are going to Disney, they provide transportation from the airport to any Disney resort hotel included with your room reservation. If you are going to do a little of it all, I really recommend renting a car.

If you are going to see Universal or Disney there are benefits to staying in their hotels.

As to the length of stay it really depends on how much you want to accomplish or just get a taste of it.

The only time I would avoid the area is during the summer, its hot as blazes and very crowded.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
We were discussing it tonight and it seems like a single person going to Disney (what's the point in that) would be cost effective and easier than renting a car, but the rates are one way so once you get 2 or more people it would seem that driving would be as, or better, economically than flying. Of course if time is an issue I can understand it.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
So, how many folks will want to fly FROM those towns to vacation in SoWal or PCB?

Nashville - Lots of folks there coming here already, so there's some promise, particularly for weekends. For longer visits, seems unlikely - you do get to bring all your stuff in the car/SUV.

Houston - Could be possible. But, we're competing with the Texas beaches, which are much closer.

Baltimore - Does anyone there know we exist? Sounds like a ripe prospect for a PR campaign.

Orlando - Say what? Come FROM Orlando to vacation where?

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
As someone who owns on 30A -- but lives most of the year in DC, I can't tell you how excited I am about all this. I can now get to the beach door to door in about 4 hours -- and only 2 hours and ten minutes of that is flying time.

Kurt, I think you would enjoy a trip to Baltimore -- but, remember BWI is only about 35 minutes from your nation's capital. There is plenty to do here -- the smithsonian etc (and you can see where all your hard-earned tax money goes.)

I can tell you, THIS is why we bought in Sowal two years ago. We had heard this might be coming and knew it would be a game changer for the region. This is going to be a huge boost economically. You wanna know why? Cause once people get a load of how wonderful it is -- you won't be able to keep them away.

We are celebrating in DC -- and cannot wait for the Spring -- and direct service.

Bdub