• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
I think what the researchers at Southwest really screwed up is the demographic information they probably pulled from. True there are few folks from Detroit (at least Detroit itself) in SoWal, but anyone who looks at license plates can tell you that there is probably 500% more tags/ plates from Ontario in SoWal and PCB area, then there are from Michigan. So their data set, forgot to include those darn canadians, which obviously are a big feeder to the area. St. Louis vs. Orlando, I'm sure either their research or Disney kickback make that choice, make sense for now. But How could they miss the Detroit route. That's the route that would have been packed to the gills.
Someone at Southwest was sleeping on the switch on this one, looking at data sets, that forgot one big thing, when you think about Florida tourism - those darn Canadians. doh!!!!!!!!

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I think what the researchers at Southwest really screwed up is the demographic information they probably pulled from. True there are few folks from Detroit (at least Detroit itself) in SoWal, but anyone who looks at license plates can tell you that there is probably 500% more tags/ plates from Ontario in SoWal and PCB area, then there are from Michigan. So their data set, forgot to include those darn canadians, which obviously are a big feeder to the area. St. Louis vs. Orlando, I'm sure either their research or Disney kickback make that choice, make sense for now. But How could they miss the Detroit route. That's the route that would have been packed to the gills.
Someone at Southwest was sleeping on the switch on this one, looking at data sets, that forgot one big thing, when you think about Florida tourism - those darn Canadians. doh!!!!!!!!

I think JOE was concerned about having a bunch of empty seats with no fannies in them flying north to Detroit for 6 months during the year (October-March). Seeing that JOE is leasing these jets at "zero" cost to Southwest. Had it not been for JOE "leasing" these planes...Southwest wouldn't be flying down here at all. And since JOE and the county taxpayers are picking up the tab for the next couple of years...I reckon Southwest will pretty much fly to-and-from where JOE tells them, as long as Southwest currently services that location.

Last edited:

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
You may need to order an extra sofa bed and stock up on toilet paper.

(I personally breathed a sigh of relief when I found out that there were no flights out of Philly or NY)

If they ever do fly from NYC or Philly for $49 I know where I'll be going for great Chinese food.

:lolabove:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
If they ever do fly from NYC or Philly for $49 I know where I'll be going for great Chinese food.

:lolabove:

I'd pay lots more for a direct flight to NYC...great food, great fun in the greatest city!

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Unfortunately, for the snowbirds, the only Ontario that SW serves is Ontario, CA. They do not offer international service at all, right now. Looks like they get around that with a direct booking link with WestJet from cities that they both serve. If they wanted to, a person could fly from Toronto or Montreal to Orlando and, then, hop on a SW flight. The only other downside to SW's methodology is that they do not have luggage agreements with other airlines. Typically, you have to leave the secured area, grab your bags, recheck them with the second airline, and go back through security...

Last edited:

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
Kurt,

I am a Texan by birth, but for some strange reason -- I have spent more of my life in the Washington DC area (that will change when I can make the full time transition to Sowal).

the cheapest way to get from BWI to downtown DC is the 19 dollar Amtrak trip. It drops you off at Union Station. Union Station is a spectacular building in its own right -- but when you emerge from the cavernous marble halls you are greeted by the inspiring sight of the Capitol Dome (only a few blocks away).

You can access the rest of the town through the Union Station Metro stop. Cabs are also reasonable once you get to DC. There is absolutely NO reason to rent a car when you get to DC.

Washington DC has thousands of things to do for free -- you can spend a week alone meandering through the Smithosnian.

I am very excited about the direct flight from BWI to EPC -- but this will also give the residents of NW Florida the opportunity to make a reasonably cost effective trip to their nation's capital.

No matter how you feel about the current political environment -- Washington DC is trip that every Ameican should make. To see the Declaration of Independence -- to walk past the White House -- to tour the halls of the United States Congress. To see the wonders of the Smithsonian and to trod the historical streets of the District of Columbia. Please come.

While you are on the way up -- I'll be passing you on the way down.

Re: Orlando -- It sounds like a great idea to me. I think a fair percentage of those who visit Orlando are wealthy international visitors. After coming this far, it would not be much for them to take a cheap and quick hop over to enjoy the spectacular beaches of NW Florida. Remember -- Orlando is really not much of a beach town.

I know that we are excited about the Orlando connection - because it allows to us make a two or three day side trip to DisneyWorld during our long summer stretches in Sowal.

All the best

Bdub

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks Bdub - DC is an awesome place. Like I said, I wish it was an available trip for every person in America, especially kids. I look forward to seeing Union Station and I almost always enjoy subways, metros, cable cars, and even buses. Also great fun for kids and grown up kids like me.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
ECP didn't leave out the Canadians yet. They still hope to add daily seasonal flights to Canada, by the opening date of ECP. They also hope to have at least one flight to London by opening date, according to some peeps at JOE.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I am VERY excited about BWI being a destination, as are my brother and SIL in Maryland. :clap:

We try to see them at least once a year, but even that's not really enough, the older we all get. This will help tremendously. I'm not keen on flying as I have issues with my ears, and it remains to be seen whether I can get ShallowsFuzz on a plane - but I'm willing to try. Of course, bro & SIL were an Air Force family so flying is second nature to them. They are tickled pink!

Oh, and there is no shortage of things to do in DC. The metro rocks!