• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

5thGenFlo

Beach Lover
Dec 18, 2007
Nashville, TN
Seems a bit late since the new Publix went in with the massive parking lot, bright lights and traffic signal. There is a Walmart in FWB, Destin, and PCB. Between FWB and PCB there are nine Publix stores, I don't think Walmart is asking for too much.

All nine Publix stores you mentioned are not in the Walton County portion or what is left of their portion of the US 98 Scenic Corridor. I think Walmart is asking to errode more of what is a very finite area of escape that visitors come down to the panhandle to enjoy. As soon as you put up all the Walmarts and Walgreens and Walls you want to block out the beauty of the area, the tourists will have to go find somewhere else to visit, where the commercial machine hasn't gobbled up their reason for going there.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
All nine Publix stores you mentioned are not in the Walton County portion or what is left of their portion of the US 98 Scenic Corridor. I think Walmart is asking to errode more of what is a very finite area of escape that visitors come down to the panhandle to enjoy. As soon as you put up all the Walmarts and Walgreens and Walls you want to block out the beauty of the area, the tourists will have to go find somewhere else to visit, where the commercial machine hasn't gobbled up their reason for going there.

That Walmart is goin across from the picturesque Donut Hole.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
...lots of dead horses have been beaten mercilessly , especially in the politcal forums...beat on...

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach

I did not claim they were but Publix has three stores in sowal so why is it fair to try and exclude Walmart? The senic corridor is already blighted with shabby strip centers, gas stations, and a hodge podge of ugly commercial buildings none which blend in to the area as so many are demanding of Walmart. I personally don't care if Walmart builds or not, I just do not understand the fear. Is it the store itself or the potential clientele that has residents up in arms?

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I just do not understand the fear. Is it the store itself or the potential clientele that has residents up in arms?

....maybe it's because the odds of someone spotting them shopping at the new Walmart will go up substantially vs. getting "caught" in the Destin or PCB Walmarts?

This problem has already been addressed--JOE made sure that their SoWal-mart will be stocking these:

groucho_glasses.jpg

Last edited:

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
78,000 sf Walmart coming to SoWal

...lots of dead horses have been beaten mercilessly , especially in the politcal forums...beat on...

"....the pain....the pain.....the merciless paaaiiinnnn!!!!! My head it pounds....my pupils bleed. Stop the madness!!!.....

We, that love SoWal for all that it is, vividly envision how blessed that we are to enjoy the breaking of the waves, and the morning sun on our back, as we walk amongst the morning tide. Too, we embrace the reality that we, as a "community" slowly progress, and we will, must, and do constantly modify our surroundings (hopefully, in a mindful way). The thoughtful will put in perspective the raindrop of change that the proposed WalMart represents on the landscape of SoWal, and many minds will be eased. Life will go on, and "things" will be good. Breathe in; breathe out.......get a grip. Smile....."T' minus X years and counting....enjoy them while you can.

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
....maybe it's because the odds of someone spotting them shopping at the new Walmart will go up substantially vs. getting "caught" in the Destin or PCB Walmarts?

This problem has already been addressed--JOE made sure that their SoWal-mart will be stocking these:

groucho_glasses.jpg

Sooner or later somebody will accidentally use one of these bags at the Watercolor Publix. Then they are sooo busted. In any event, the current don't ask don't tell policy will become a thing of the past once the new store opens up, that's for sure.

TN-519612_WalmartReusableBag.png.jpg

Last edited:

robertwill

Beach Comber
Apr 7, 2006
destin
Thank God for Walmart. If it was not for the guts of Sam Walton and his 5 & dime we would be covered in kMart's . Sam opened his small business in the mid 60's in Arkansas to compete with the big boys. He should have gone broke ,but worked hard and prospered. I guess if Modica Market is smart and opens across the world they will be the new bad guy.

Thank God for Walmart. If it was not for the guts of Sam Walton and his 5 & dime we would be covered in kMart's . Sam opened his small business in the mid 60's in Arkansas to compete with the big boys. He should have gone broke ,but worked hard and prospered. I guess if Modica Market is smart and opens across the world they will be the new bad guy.

Walmart's predatory business practices are what makes them vilified, not the foresight and work ethics of its founder. So exactly whose sock puppet are you Bob30A? ;-)