• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Nah - usually we just agree to disagree (and needle each other about it), then pour another drink!

Or certain topics get declared off-limits at certain functions to keep the peace.

5thGenFlo

Beach Lover
Dec 18, 2007
Nashville, TN
I did not claim they were but Publix has three stores in sowal so why is it fair to try and exclude Walmart? The senic corridor is already blighted with shabby strip centers, gas stations, and a hodge podge of ugly commercial buildings none which blend in to the area as so many are demanding of Walmart. I personally don't care if Walmart builds or not, I just do not understand the fear. Is it the store itself or the potential clientele that has residents up in arms?

The Fear is the homoginization of America. You can go anywhere in America and find a Walmart. The shabby strip centers are more aptly filled with local venders (albeit some are chains). It isn't the Walmart store itself, its the place. Highway 98's scenic corridor in south Walton County is a place far away from the hum drum of an ordinary life where we toil away at our jobs all day, then run by Walmart on the way home to pick up a few items, before getting the children off to the soccer game or ballet lessons. We go to The Beaches of South Walton to escape all of that - including Walmart. I think that is important and shouldn't be trampled on by Walmart or any other large homoginized giant store in America.

Last edited:

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Looks like I'll be buying chicken feets at WalMart.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
...maybe if they call it "The Walmart at The Beach" it could be more unique...maybe paint it flamingo pink...I dunno...:blink::blink:

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
The Fear is the homoginization of America. You can go anywhere in America and find a Walmart. The shabby strip centers are more aptly filled with local venders (albeit some are chains). It isn't the Walmart store itself, its the place. Highway 98's scenic corridor in south Walton County is a place far away from the hum drum of an ordinary life where we toil away at our jobs all day, then run by Walmart on the way home to pick up a few items, before getting the children off to the soccer game or ballet lessons. We go to The Beaches of South Walton to escape all of that - including Walmart. I think that is important and shouldn't be trampled on by Walmart or any other large homoginized giant store in America.

I understand your position but 98 is going to be developed and it is due to the population growth. If so many had not moved into all the developments that have sprung up along 30A in the last 30 yrs. I doubt any major retail chain would be looking at the area. How many old time residents feel trampled on by all this growth? I also feel the residents should attend meetings and voice opinions on the zoning and growth but this argument of Publix vs. Target vs. Walmart is silly IMHO.

Last edited:

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009

South Walton is home for a lot of people that live ordinary lives. A lot of us do work all day, need to run by the store, before we bring our kids to activities. I have mixed feelings about this, but I think that it will bring relief to a lot of people. This might be a vacation for you, but this is real life not a fairy tale.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
I understand your position but 98 is going to be developed and it is due to the population growth. If so many had not moved into all the developments that have sprung up along 30A in the last 30 yrs. I doubt any major retail chain would be looking at the area. How many old time residents feel trampled on by all this growth? I also feel the residents should attend meetings and voice opinions on the zoning and growth but this argument of Publix vs. Target vs. Walmart is silly IMHO.

If so many had not moved here, there'd have been no development, or the myriad jobs/trades that comes from it. SoWal would be a pitiable, and lonely, though immensely beautiful place. Unless you are one of the original American Indians whose family lived in this area before most of our ancestors arrived and claimed the land in the name of wherever and whomever.....then, like me, you still are much more of a "tourist" than "resident", so we are both part of the problem in a sense. As did I, you bought your piece of Paradise long ago to do with as you will, limited only by the County zoning and growth requirements that your attendance at, and offering of your opinions at public meetings helped to put in place. We are not being trampled upon; though some participate in, at seek to intelligently manage inevitable change, where others sit back and watch the parade. Effecting intelligent change demands intelligent, open-minded, and dedicated members working toward a widely-palatable common goal. There, but by the grace of God, go we.......