• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
Goofer wanted a price for Watersound Beach w/ granite, viking and subzero appliances, a fireplace, lots of wood on the walls, and oak floors.

IMO that's $200-250 a sqr ft and can be quite a bit more depending on specific design features and finishes.

I think in using the term "vanilla" it might be taken as "cookie cutter", bland style home. None of those features sound too bland. Quite spectacular in fact... even in Watercolor! ooh ooh, I want a fireplace on my screened in porch while we're talkin'.... surfaced with oyster shells.:D P.S. I'm finding the $200.00 + per sq. foot for build out, with these features, to be about right.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I think in using the term "vanilla" it might be taken as "cookie cutter", bland style home. None of those features sound too bland. Quite spectacular in fact... even in Watercolor! ooh ooh, I want a fireplace on my screened in porch while we're talkin'.... surfaced with oyster shells.:D P.S. I'm finding the $200.00 + per sq. foot for build out, with these features, to be about right.

I would play it safe and bet at the end of the day it will be around $230 plus.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
What somebody quotes you and what the final price is will be very different in most cases.the set of viking appliances you're talking of can run $20-25k easy. i don't believe you can build a top of the line home when all is said and done for less than $200 a square foot.i'm talking tile every were,hardwood floors threwout, top of the line lighting and fixtures, foam insulation under the home and in the roof line.theres always extra cost that pop up

Last edited by a moderator:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

Vanilla to me means selectively thrifty, but tasteful and not cheap looking. I can easily double that having funn w/ interior finishes and plumbing/kitchen fixtures.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
If $200 to $250 is the concensus figure, does that number include the builders profit ??? Or do you have to add a percentage to the construction budget to figure his profit. What would that percentage be ?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
If $200 to $250 is the concensus figure, does that number include the builders profit ??? Or do you have to add a percentage to the construction budget to figure his profit. What would that percentage be ?

My guestimate was inclusive for either "cost plus" (cost plus agreed percentage contractor profit) or "fixed" (agreed upon total price with profit/incentive built-in).

One scoop of vanilla for me please.... sounds delicious!

Yep - vanilla is my favorite too. You can add sprinkles, pie, sauce, eat it plain etc. The other "flavors" you get tired of/go out of style fast, but you can never go wrong building on a vanilla base (make from scratch and fresh vanilla beans of course). :D