• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I double line pass cyclists on 30-A all the time, giving them a wide berth. I do the same in Atlanta on roads where there is no bike lane.

This thread is cracking me up.

I love it. All the folks that drive on 30A always get bent about cyclists running stop signs. The rarely admit themselves coming to or seeing others come to rolling stops and driving over the speed limit and passing cyclists too close (which is a FL State Law for all you strict law followers ... as long as it does not inconvenience you :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:). Believe me, whether I am driving a car or riding my bike down 30A I see it all. I am harassed more on a 30 mile ride down 30A then anywhere I've ever ridden. One jerk in a red (really maroon) Ford Expedition blew his horn at me while I was in the bike lane in Blue Mtn Beach :dunno:. I asked him to pull over and discuss the finer points of the FL Vehicle Code but he declined :D.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I love it. All the folks that drive on 30A always get bent about cyclists running stop signs. The rarely admit themselves coming to or seeing others come to rolling stops and driving over the speed limit and passing cyclists too close (which is a FL State Law for all you strict law followers ... as long as it does not inconvenience you :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:). Believe me, whether I am driving a car or riding my bike down 30A I see it all. I am harassed more on a 30 mile ride down 30A then anywhere I've ever ridden. One jerk in a red (really maroon) Ford Expedition blew his horn at me while I was in the bike lane in Blue Mtn Beach :dunno:. I asked him to pull over and discuss the finer points of the FL Vehicle Code but he declined :D.

RO the vast majority of bicycle enthusiasts are courteous, and I would have to assume the same is true of motor vehicle operators. It is the jerks (two or four wheel variety) who stick out in our minds, and as you know, a few times a year people come here to vent.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I figure if you are not guilty of the crime who cares if someone talks about someone else doing it. :dunno:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Bad as the cycling gear makes me look, it sure beats a cotton tee shirt, cargo shorts and tennis shoes. There is a reason for the gear. Love ya Skunky :cool:

The entire point of the technicolor cycling jersey is to make it easier for motorists and other cyclists to notice where you are on the road. If it's obnoxious enough for people in a car or SUV to point and laugh at you, it's actually a far better thing than not being seen while you're on the road.

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach

This fits the description of some Neanderthal that made eye contact with me while I was cycling on the bike path in Blue Mountain Beach, then intentionally pulled out of a side street not ten feet in front of me while communicating with an obscene gesture as I maneuvered to avoid a collision.

He must be very brave driving around in his 2+ tons of steel.

I cycle across Manhattan (in rush hour). Rarely am I exposed to the aggressive driving and outright harassment I routinely experience on 30A on and off the bike path.

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
Here is what drives me and others crazy. I snapped this picture Christmas Eve morning. I caught up with this rude triumvirate on 30-A just east of the Western Lake bridge. They are decked out like (insert the name of a competitive biker here so River Otter doesn't get mad) yet peddled a mind numbing 10 mph or so, three abreast occupying the whole eastbound lane through Watercolor and Seaside. Finally, something distracted them and they turned off in Seaside...there is no reason for such behavior on the bicyclists part! Form a damn single file line and hug the shoulder, peddle the speed limit or get on the bike path! If this is you pictured here, please quit giving your fellow bicyclists a bad reputation!

Please understand that "hugging the shoulder" is dangerous to a cyclist. This encourages vehicles to pass without leaving adequate separation and leaves little space for the cyclist to avoid road hazards. Also please see the posting about legally riding two abreast. It is actually safer for the motor vehicle and cyclist because it reduces the time the motor vehicle needs to be over the double yellow line while passing.

While I see no reason these three should have been spread entirely across the road, (unless they were beginning a left hand turn), I also see no hint of oncoming traffic. The law allows you to cross the double yellow to pass when conditions are safe.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
I've been hit once while on the bike path from a car. It's often too crowded on the path and it's certainly not a path for a road bike. Sorry for all these fatasses who cry about being behind a bike on any road. Again We have a right to 3 ft of every roadway. Whether you like it or not. I'm staying on the road since it pisses off so many people.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I've been hit once while on the bike path from a car. It's often too crowded on the path and it's certainly not a path for a road bike. Sorry for all these fatasses who cry about being behind a bike on any road. Again We have a right to 3 ft of every roadway. Whether you like it or not. I'm staying on the road since it pisses off so many people.

There's the spirit! :lol:

I think everyone should just be cognizant of their surroundings because there are always those who pay attention (drive defensively) and there are those (inclusive of pedestrians) who rely on those of us who pay attention.

If I see you BeachSteeler or anyone else, I will pass you and give you plenty of room so that my mirror doesn't knock you out......oh, I forgot......my mirror on that side already got itself knocked off. :D