• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
What kills me is that you speak of being courteous bicyclists and speak of following the rules, however you insist on sticking your spandexed butts 3 and 4 abreast. When I got my cycling merit badge in Boyscouts we were taught that you always rode in a straight single file line unless you were passing the person in front of you and then, and only then, if it was safe to do so. I'm so sick of the arrogance of cyclists that insist on using the road for their "professional" street bikes that need a "real" road to practice for some Tour De Ignorance, but then namby pamby peddle down the road chit chatting with each other. Your either training for a race or your a tourist being an ass, there isn't much gray area there.

P.S. This is not directed at RO as we've discussed this before.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
What kills me is that you speak of being courteous bicyclists and speak of following the rules, however you insist on sticking your spandexed butts 3 and 4 abreast. When I got my cycling merit badge in Boyscouts we were taught that you always rode in a straight single file line unless you were passing the person in front of you and then, and only then, if it was safe to do so. I'm so sick of the arrogance of cyclists that insist on using the road for their "professional" street bikes that need a "real" road to practice for some Tour De Ignorance, but then namby pamby peddle down the road chit chatting with each other. Your either training for a race or your a tourist being an ass, there isn't much gray area there.

P.S. This is not directed at RO as we've discussed this before.

We could send the arrogant ones to Road Atlanta if they need smooth, wide road.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Please understand that "hugging the shoulder" is dangerous to a cyclist. This encourages vehicles to pass without leaving adequate separation and leaves little space for the cyclist to avoid road hazards. Also please see the posting about legally riding two abreast. It is actually safer for the motor vehicle and cyclist because it reduces the time the motor vehicle needs to be over the double yellow line while passing.

While I see no reason these three should have been spread entirely across the road, (unless they were beginning a left hand turn), I also see no hint of oncoming traffic. The law allows you to cross the double yellow to pass when conditions are safe.

OK, avoid hugging the shoulder, sounds reasonable. However, one would have to be insane to try to pass bikes in Seaside where I took the picture. Murphy's law would have been the lady furthest outside would have turned in front of me or a kid would have come rocketing out of the sidewalk by the Pizza Bar into my path. Either way, I am thinking I am the one who would have gotten the gift of a vehicular homicide charge on Christmas Eve. As I have said, the majority of bicyclists on 30-A are very courteous but it only takes a few knuckleheads like the ones I photographed to get the vitriol rumbling on this forum.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Here's a question I've always had...

Is it legal to pass a bicycle if you have a solid yellow line? A strict reading of the law would seem to indicate the answer is 'no', which would make passing cyclists illegal on most of 30-A.

Last edited by a moderator:

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
OK, avoid hugging the shoulder, sounds reasonable. However, one would have to be insane to try to pass bikes in Seaside where I took the picture. Murphy's law would have been the lady furthest outside would have turned in front of me or a kid would have come rocketing out of the sidewalk by the Pizza Bar into my path. Either way, I am thinking I am the one who would have gotten the gift of a vehicular homicide charge on Christmas Eve. As I have said, the majority of bicyclists on 30-A are very courteous but it only takes a few knuckleheads like the ones I photographed to get the vitriol rumbling on this forum.

Agreed. But then that's a relatively short distance in a 25 MPH zone. And yes people as a rule are self-centered, impolite and inconsiderate. These traits are just more dangerous behind the wheel than on a bike. Commuting 20 years in the NYC metro area has taught me that road rage is never an answer. Take a deep breath and enjoy the day in spite of them.

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
Here's a question I've always had...

Is it legal to pass a bicycle if you have a solid yellow line? A strict reading of the law would seem to indicate the answer is 'no', which would make passing cyclists illegal on most of 30-A.

I believe the following is an adequate albeit ambiguous answer. It's clear about an 18 MPH bike in a 45 MPH zone. What do you do in a 25 MPH zone behind that same bike?

Overtaking and Passing a Vehicle
(Sections 316.083, 316.085, F.S.)

The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. A driver overtaking a bicycle must maintain a horizontal clearance of at least 3 feet [?316.083]. Three feet is a minimum "safe distance" for passing a cyclist under typical urban conditions; when the passing vehicle is large, towing a trailer, or traveling at much higher speed, greater lateral clearance is needed.

To pass a cyclist with safe clearance, it may be necessary for a motorist to enter (at least partially) the next lane, when and where it is safe to do so.
No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the left side is clearly visible and free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit passing to be made without interfering with the operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction. In every event an overtaking vehicle must return to an authorized lane of travel as soon as practicable and, in the event the passing movement involves the use of a lane authorized for vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, before coming within 200 feet of any approaching vehicle [?316.085].

The Double Yellow Line: The prohibition of passing in a no-passing zone does not apply when an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway [?316.0875(3)]. Thus, when a cyclist is traveling so slowly as to constitute an "obstruction," a motorist may cross the center line in a no-passing zone to pass the cyclist if the way is clear to do so, i.e., when it can be seen that any oncoming traffic is far enough ahead that the motorist could finish passing before coming within 200 feet of an oncoming vehicle.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Thanks for the info. A little ambiguous, but not too much. Most of the time, the 25 mph zones are going to be someplace I wouldn't attempt passing anyway (such as 'downtown' Seaside) so it hopefully won't be much of an issue.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I for one am willing to be courteous to cyclists on the road and give them their space and follow behind, below the speed limit, until there is room to pass them safely, for I have no desire to injure someone due to their bad behavior.

However I would really like a cyclist to explain to me why some, and most I have ever seen; do not observe the rules of stop signs. :dunno:

If I am in my car and traffic is heavy and I am in a line of cars waiting to move up to the stop sign, the cyclists will not wait in line with the cars.

Instead, to me they do something very dangerous, and that is squeeze past the cars on the right side, then blow the stop sign.

Sorry but after that type of behavior they lost the respect of others.

So cyclists do you wait in the long line with vehicles at stops signs and traffic lights or do you keep moving?

Last edited: