• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Hey I didn't receive my yearly co-op check yet.
Anybody who gets one every year knows why not?

Is it the Recession? :shock:

liquorqueen

Beach Lover
Feb 25, 2007
This co-op check is new to me, and I've lived here as long as the boars in the dunes. A check would be nice if they do hand out!

Hey I didn't receive my yearly co-op check yet.
Anybody who gets one every year knows why not?

Is it the Recession? :shock:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I've never gotten one either. A very long time ago I lived somewhere else with an electric co-op that used to send out checks, but I just assumed Chelco was reinvesting to build more infrastructure, or paying for hurricane damage with the "profits." My understanding of electric co-ops is that they are non-profit so the profits, when they have any, are given back to the members. Personally I'd rather see a decrease in rates than a check, but I somehow don't think that is going to happen.
Any Chelco folks out there?

Sarah Moss

Beach Lover
Apr 5, 2006
Black Creek
Checks FROM Chelco?

Chelco demands checks from us 12 times a year but they've never given any money back. Joho, can you elaborate on your post? We've had numerous Chelco accounts including commercial and have never received any type of refund check! :dunno:

I just found an averaged billing option on their website (link below). Does anyone participate in this? If so, do you recommend?

Choctawhatchee Electric Cooperative, Inc. - CHELCO

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I just received an automated call from Chelco warning of a peak energy shortage tomorrow morning for about 3 hours, then tips were givne on how I can reduce energy use for that time ( or anytime really). Anybody know what is so special about tomorrow morning?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I got that call too, but my cell cut it off before I heard the whole thing.
I'm assuming it is because there is a freeze warning - coldest night of the winter so far, looks like.
But we have had lots of weather colder than this in past winters and I never got such a call. :dunno:

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
I would also like to know about this Chelco check thing. I have been here for almost 30 years and have never gotten anything from Chelco except an enormous bill from them every month. My mom has been here even longer and has never received one either. :dunno:

Sarah Moss

Beach Lover
Apr 5, 2006
Black Creek
No Peaking Offered by CHELCO

I got that call too, but my cell cut it off before I heard the whole thing.
I'm assuming it is because there is a freeze warning - coldest night of the winter so far, looks like.
But we have had lots of weather colder than this in past winters and I never got such a call. :dunno:

No Peaking Campaign - Choctawhatchee Electric Cooperative, Inc. - CHELCO

Join the campaign and become a ?Peak Buster?

You can become a ?Peak Buster? by joining CHELCO?s new ?No Peaking? program, which is designed to save energy and help CHELCO manage the cost of wholesale power.

The idea is to curtail usage of specific electrical devices or appliances during critical peak times of the day.

In CHELCO?s recent Future of Power Generation survey, 75 percent of the 2,700 members who responded said they would be interested in conserving energy during certain times of the day/year to help the co-op avoid additional costs for the membership and potential rate increases.

Members will be notified by phone before the peak time occurs so they have adequate time to react.

Participation in the program lets members help themselves, their neighbors and CHELCO by lowering the peak demand. When CHELCO avoids high peak charges, members benefit through lower wholesale power costs in the future.

For details on becoming a ?Peak Buster,? contact Member Service at 892-2111 or visit one of CHELCO?s six area offices. In order to participate, CHELCO must have a participant?s valid phone number.

Things you can do as a ?Peak Buster? when you get the call:

Shut off air conditioning
Shut off water heater
Unplug vampire electronics (chargers, etc.)
Don?t wash or dry clothes
Turn off lights and ceiling fans
Don?t run the dishwasher

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks- I don't remember signing up for this, but I will try and help!