• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
I for one am willing to be courteous to cyclists on the road and give them their space and follow behind, below the speed limit, until there is room to pass them safely, for I have no desire to injure someone due to their bad behavior.

However I would really like a cyclist to explain to me why some, and most I have ever seen; do not observe the rules of stop signs. :dunno:

If I am in my car and traffic is heavy and I am in a line of cars waiting to move up to the stop sign, the cyclists will not wait in line with the cars.

Instead, to me they do something very dangerous, and that is squeeze past the cars on the right side, then blow the stop sign.

Sorry but after that type of behavior they lost the respect of others.

So cyclists do you wait in the long line with vehicles at stops signs and traffic lights or do you keep moving?

If a cyclist can safely pass a line of stopped motor vehicles why should the cyclist wait. Would you expect a pedestrian to wait until all the cars have cleared the intersection. That cyclist can just as easily and legally (unless prohibited by the local laws) ride on the sidewalk to the stop sign. The fact that some do not observe the stop sign is unexplainable, some cars don't and some pedestrians don't look before crossing. Go figure.

Many cyclists will roll through stop signs, only suicidal ones "blow"" through stop signs. I believe the Law of Natural Selection weeds them out early.

Your comment about waiting in line could just as easily be asked of the motorist who finds himself behind a bicycle with legal right to be on the road. Why doesn't the car wait?

If you are asking about the stop sign at the intersection of 395 and 30A what is dangerous about passing a stopped line of cars. You would do it in your car if you could fit.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
If a cyclist can safely pass a line of stopped motor vehicles why should the cyclist wait. Would you expect a pedestrian to wait until all the cars have cleared the intersection. That cyclist can just as easily and legally (unless prohibited by the local laws) ride on the sidewalk to the stop sign. The fact that some do not observe the stop sign is unexplainable, some cars don't and some pedestrians don't look before crossing. Go figure.

Many cyclists will roll through stop signs, only suicidal ones "blow"" through stop signs. I believe the Law of Natural Selection weeds them out early.

Your comment about waiting in line could just as easily be asked of the motorist who finds himself behind a bicycle with legal right to be on the road. Why doesn't the car wait?

If you are asking about the stop sign at the intersection of 395 and 30A what is dangerous about passing a stopped line of cars. You would do it in your car if you could fit.

Actually no I would not do it.

Also I seriously doubt a pedestrian is going to walk down 30A holding up vehicle traffic or endangering someone in the crosswalk, which is what this tread is about.

I think if cyclists want motorists to respect them on the road they need to follow the same procedures and laws and that does not mean taking to the side of the road, or sidewalk or bike path to move ahead of cars in line for a stop sign.

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal

i would expect you to stop at a stop sign. at a four way intersection, cyclists rolling through the sign impedes everyone but the cyclist. at a two way, cyclists are more likely to hit a turning vehicle if they do not stop. your thinking is part of the problemo, senor spandexio.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
You are supposed to stop at a stop sign.

Don't know how to say it any plainer - whether you are on a bike or in a car, you are supposed to come to a full and complete STOP behind the white line (or the sign if there is no white line).

If everyone actually followed that SIMPLE and BASIC rule we'd all be alot happier and safer!

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
i would expect you to stop at a stop sign. at a four way intersection, cyclists rolling through the sign impedes everyone but the cyclist. at a two way, cyclists are more likely to hit a turning vehicle if they do not stop. your thinking is part of the problemo, senor spandexio.

El elastico, es muy fantastico! :drool:

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
:D I am a violator of not always coming to a complete stop. But, I watch and of course if there are other vehicles at the intersection, then I stop. I absolutely stop if there are bicyclists......because they don't always pay attention.

Winnie

Beach Fanatic
Jul 22, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Please understand that "hugging the shoulder" is dangerous to a cyclist. This encourages vehicles to pass without leaving adequate separation and leaves little space for the cyclist to avoid road hazards. Also please see the posting about legally riding two abreast. It is actually safer for the motor vehicle and cyclist because it reduces the time the motor vehicle needs to be over the double yellow line while passing.

While I see no reason these three should have been spread entirely across the road, (unless they were beginning a left hand turn), I also see no hint of oncoming traffic. The law allows you to cross the double yellow to pass when conditions are safe.

Well said.

Winnie

Beach Fanatic
Jul 22, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I've been hit once while on the bike path from a car. It's often too crowded on the path and it's certainly not a path for a road bike. Sorry for all these fatasses who cry about being behind a bike on any road. Again We have a right to 3 ft of every roadway. Whether you like it or not. I'm staying on the road since it pisses off so many people.

That just doesn't sound sincere. :lolabove:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The slow speed roll through a stop sign from cyclists on road bikes frequently comes because they're using pedals that physically attach their shoes to the bike, and they want to avoid the dread zero speed fallover crash you get if you go to a dead stop and then can't get unclipped shoes in time to get a foot down.

Just to explain the logic there, and not to excuse it.