• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Please tell me they aren't going to be doing one on New Year's Eve as well? :bang: Nothing like smoke/fog added to a night of drinking and full moon insanity!

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
Controlled burns are absolutely essential to our local ecosystem.

Assuming no rain unless the forestry guys are off work and/or the wind is up then I would expect controlled burns.

There are two options either a controlled fire or an uncontrolled fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

floridafarm

Beach Comber
Mar 9, 2009
I don't question the need for the controlled burnings but I do take issue with the timing. We get a couple of decent weeks of business activity during the holidays and huge clouds of billowing smoke drifting over the beaches is the last thing we need.

beachFool

Beach Fanatic
May 6, 2007
Controlled burns of the State Forest are as much of a part of South Walton as the beaches.

The Forestry Department makes a very strong effort to minimize inconvienences and they should be commended. Managing the urban/forest interface is difficult.

It is essential to burn when the weather conditions are appropriate. Otherwise we risk excessive fuel build up in the forest.

If "huge clouds of billowing smoke drifting over the beaches is the last thing we need" flashback earlier in the decade (2001?), there were some very destructive fires in the Forest and north of the Bay.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I know why they do controlled burns and don't have a problem with it - I just question doing it at a time when it creates more of a safety hazard than usual.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
More burning happening today south of 98 around Peach Creek, east of 395. Smoke will likely move south.

Questions or concerns? Call FLA Division of Forestry at 850-547-7083.

SWFD is also monitoring. Thanks firefighters!