• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We were lucky enough to see Caroline at Sinfonia's Coffee with the Conductor program last year! (thanks Demetrius and Carol!)

http://www.sowal.com/bb/events-acti...olinist-caroline-goulding-tonight-1-17-a.html
(thread title correction - she was 16, not 6:blush:)

She's back on Sunday at Grace Lutheran- get your tickets!

[FONT=&quot]COVER STORY[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Goulding caps golden year with Grammy nomination[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]By BRENDA SHOFFNER
Northwest Florida Daily News [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

Caroline Goulding has had an amazing year of firsts in 2009:
She released her first album on the Telarc label to wonderful reviews.
She graduated from high school with top honors.
She just finished her first semester of college where she is studying music.
She was awarded first prize at the Finals of the 2009 Young Concert Artists International Auditions in November.
And, earlier this month, the 17-year-old violinist received the first Grammy nomination of what is sure to be many in her musical pursuits.
“It’s been really exciting,” Goulding said in a Dec. 21 phone interview. Goulding is back in the area for the holidays and to visit family.
She is giving a concert, “Good as Goulding,” at 3 p.m. Sunday at Grace Lutheran Church in Destin.
The program will be works from her self-titled, Grammy-nominated CD: Schoenfield’s “Four Souvenirs for Violin & Piano,” selections from “Porgy and Bess” by Gershwin/Heifetz and Corigliano’s “The Red Violin Caprices.” Pianist Alicja Basinska will accompany.
Goulding will sign copies of the CD after the performance, which is a special event of the Sinfonia Gulf Coast season. Season presenting sponsor is Regus. Goulding’s appearance is made possible in part by a grant from the Okaloosa Arts Alliance.
Tickets are $22.50 and patrons may purchase and print tickets atSinfoniaGulfCoast.org or call the box office at 850-269-7129.
Goulding was the youngest of the four artists granted the Young Concert Artists prize this year. As a first-prize winner, Goulding will enjoy the benefits of YCA helping to manage her career, including being presented at recitals during the 2010-11 YCA Series in New York, Boston, and Washington, D.C.
“It was so surprising and is such an honor,” she said. “They’ve been so nice.”
Goulding patiently explained the audition process, which is complicated and involves preparing 120 minutes of music.
Only two weeks after that, Goulding learned she was a Grammy nominee.
“I was attending a concert in New York with my mother. We were at the after party when she received a call from my producer. My phone was dead, which is why she got the call,” Goulding explained.
“The first thing he said to my mother was, ‘You’d better get her a dress,’ so we knew it was great news, and she was smiling when she handed me the phone.”
Goulding’s CD is nominated for Best Instrumental Soloist Performance (without orchestra).
“I couldn’t believe it. I was floored. I couldn’t comprehend the significance,” she said with wonder in her voice. “All I could think about was getting home and charging my phone so I could call everybody. We were running through the rain to get to our hotel.”
Unfortunately, Goulding will not be attending the Grammy ceremony.
“Here’s the dilemma. I have a performance with the Buffalo Philharmonic scheduled for the same day,” she said. “I feel it’s important to fulfill my obligation to them. I’m really looking forward to playing with them. It’ll be great.
“There is no way I could get to Los Angeles in time. If I were playing at the ceremony, then maybe I would reconsider going, but it’s still fun and I just hope there’ll be another opportunity.”
Goulding also had the honor recently of performing on a del Gesu violin valued at $18 million. Although she doesn’t necessarily change the program, Goulding said it does make a difference in the performance.
“It’s incredible,” she said. “It’s on such another level, a higher level, the highest level.
“Obviously, I haven’t seen every violin in the world, but I’d say this is one of the two best in the world right now that I know of.
“It’s like a piece of art. It’s so gorgeous. We nicknamed it the ‘Mona Lisa,’ like compared to other paintings.”
Despite her considerable achievements so far, Goulding remains grounded and focused.
“One consistent goal I have is to constantly grow as a musician, as a violinist. That’s definitely a goal that will last forever, for my lifetime,” she said. “For shortterm goals, like in the next couple of months, I want to practice four hours every day. Usually, you practice when you’re inspired and that’s great, but routine is important, too.
“I have a routine, but my New Year’s resolution is to make it more strict. I’ve been able to get a head start on that here in Florida. I go to the beach, relax, practice and get back to what’s important — the music.
“I’m ver y blessed already.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
getimage.dll
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is the cover of Caroline Goulding’s self-titled, Grammy-nominated CD on Telarc.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I can't imagine a better way to spend an afternoon with my family- what a treat to be in the same room with such a talented and beautiful young woman. As usual, my violin -induced weep response immediately kicked in, but I was so fascinated watching her play that it went away for the rest of the concert. Kate was so excited to see her again and asked her to sign the CD.

Caroline Goulding - Violinist