• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I'm willing to keep the small tiny stretches west of Grayton industrialized as major thoroughfares at 45 MPH, not 35 MPH, if that will apease the anti LSVers as a compromise. It's literally just the 1.2 mile stretch at Watersound that is at issue.

How much time do folks actually save by going 45 MPH for 1.2 miles, instead of 35 MPH? Any physics or algebra majors here? I'd like to put a number on it. Is it 10 seconds? 15 seconds? I'll be the over under is 8 seconds?

I am not anti-LSV, I am anti-LSV in this particular circumstance/on this particular road. We all know that it's not a matter of 45 mph for 1.2 miles, it is a matter of 25 MPH or less, underage drivers, unrestrained kids, and a BAD mix of vehicles!

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
If an LSV is losing its charge and slows down below 25 mph it should be legal for a motorized vehicle (read car) to give it a little "nudge" to help it along it's merry way.:D

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
And why...are greenies so obnoxious??? The mentality baffles me and it hinders honest and open debate. Some of the golf carts on the road are owned by people who have invested in their second home McMansion, with a swimming pool, irrigation system and probably on a golf course that does not have a recycling irrigation system and pollutes our lakes with pesticides and fertilizers. So the going green argument is BS.

As a "greenie", I take exception to that. These things are billed as green, but are in fact not. Some people think that if a vehicle is electric it's going to magically save the Earth. In this case it's not as it promotes joy riding and non use of truely green modes of transportation like biking or heaven forbid walking.

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004
How about improving and widening the multi-use path along the 45 mph stretches so that it could accomodated both low speed electric vehicles and "high speed" bikes that would ordinarily be on the road?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I think golf carts on 30-A is an incredibly bad idea. There are more than a few issues with the existing bike path, that I can't forsee it ever getting improved enough to make it viable for golf cart use. The intersection of 30-A and 395 would have to be resolved as well as all places that the bike path crosses 30-A. The number one problem with the bike path is that it needs to be at least one car length away from 30-A at all places that roads intersect 30-A to make it possible for drivers to see all traffic before turning onto the 30-A. Our County fixing this problem? I don't think so. Let the golf carts stay in their little developements and everybody's fine.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Mama Scooterbug summed it up very well: "Why would you want those things on the HIGHWAY?"

Papa Scooterbug thinks it's a great idea. He wants to move down here, drive a cart all over pissing people off, and then when it gets too unbearably hot for him (early April), jump in his cart and head up I-65 (using the apron/shoulder for safety of course). :roll:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
As a "greenie", I take exception to that. These things are billed as green, but are in fact not. Some people think that if a vehicle is electric it's going to magically save the Earth. In this case it's not as it promotes joy riding and non use of truely green modes of transportation like biking or heaven forbid walking.

I've never thought of a golf carts or any small recreational vehicle as "green" in any sense. its just a fun travel toy when used off the golf course. maybe its practical for some folks. but it ain't green by any means.