• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We are doing the AP track for the reason of the "unknowns" of what schools take the credits out of state. I keep hearing "Oh, lots do" but I have yet to hear specific examples- vague doesn't work for me. We were scared to dual enroll, then find out the school our son gets accepted to and wants to attend does not accept the NWFSC classes. (I get that the system works well if the student continues on a NWFSC after high school, but do FSU and UF automatically accept the credits?)

I would like to hear some real information from parents/students who have dual enrolled. Specifically, I would like to know the following:

1) After high school, did the student go to a community college or 4 year university, in or out of state?

2) If out of state, where and how many classes taken actually transferred?

2) If someone has specific information on out of state schools that have accepted NWFSC dual enrollment classes, please share the names of those schools.

Thanks!

And yes, we are a family that ran out of math classes. So we are hoping that there are more math offerings next year!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Credits from NWFSC (did I get the initials right? OWCC was soooo much easier) do transfer instate - we have experience with FSU and UWF. In fact, before UWF began offering 4-year programs, you had to complete your first two at one of the community colleges in the area. This is much the same at GCCC or NWFSC and FSU/Panama City. I also know kids that start off at TCC if they can't initially get into FSU and then transfer over with an AA. I think the same applies with Santa Fe and UF.

UM (Miami) is private so I'd check, if that's a possibility.

Have no clue as to out-of-state. Our bunch has historically gotten homesick easily. :roll:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
NWFL State College Opens & Dedicates SoWal Campus

Northwest Florida State College held a grand opening and dedication ceremony for the new South Walton campus today, Thursday, January 14, 2010. Speeches, ribbon cuttings, special honors and art highlighted the event.

brenda-rees-albums-northwest-florida-state-college-grand-opening-dedication-picture5350-nwfl-college-dedication-1-14-10-al-donaldson-institute.jpg

Dr. Thomas Delaino, NWFSC Interim President, served as master of ceremonies. Board of Trustees Chairman Wesley Wilkerson added remarks. Al Donaldson received special recognition for the dedication of the Allyn C. Donaldson, Jr. Entrepreneurial Institute. Al and his wife Blanche gave in numerous ways to the college.

brenda-rees-albums-northwest-florida-state-college-grand-opening-dedication-picture5354-nwfl-college-dedication-1-14-10-susan-al-art.jpg

South Walton artist Susan Lucas unveils new painting as Al Donaldson looks on.

brenda-rees-albums-northwest-florida-state-college-grand-opening-dedication-picture5353-nwfl-college-dedication-1-14-10-chamber-ribbon-3.jpg

brenda-rees-albums-northwest-florida-state-college-grand-opening-dedication-picture5352-nwfl-college-dedication-1-14-10-chamber-ribbon.jpg

Another jewel for SoWal. The college joins other superb facilities in South Walton. It was a historic moment as SoWal dedicated the NWFL Campus which joins other new facilities nearby -- Government Center, Library, High School and Hospital. Many built in the last 10 years with 2000-2004 being key years.

The program for the day read in part
"Planning for the NWFSC South Walton Center has been in the works for more than 15 years, since the South Walton Conservation and Development Plan recommended construction of a higher education facility in the area. In 1995, the college's board of trustees passed a resolution to work with Walton County to include property for a future college educational center in what would become the 200+ acre "new town center" site in South Walton. In 2000, the college's foundation purchased 32 acres of the site and in 2003 work began on a master plan for the South Walton Center. Planning continued until 2007, when site work and construction began."

Carlene Anderson, Walton County Superintendent; Mildred Wilkerson, School Board; and Darrell Barnhill, School Board were in attendance. Also, Sara Comander and Cecilia Jones, Walton County Commissioners attended. Former County Commissioners Van Ness Butler and Lane Rees also attended.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmarie

Beach Lover
Aug 22, 2007
Eden
I think I'm confused. Is this just north of the 98/331 intersection? If so, I thought that was going to be an FSU campus.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Just in case you're wondering, college admission offices seem to prefer that applicants take the AP classes instead of dual enrolling. I don't know this first hand, but many of my friends that have older children have checked. So if your child has the option of taking AP Calculus or Calculus at the college, have them take the AP Calculus at the high school. As scooterbug said, the AP test for each subject is standardized across the board, so the college knows exactly what they're getting.

I need to correct the statement above, at least for some schools. We recently toured FSU and UF and I asked the admissions officer if they preferred AP or Dual Enrollment classes for applicants. They do not care, and treat them exactly the same for admissions. Both give the GPA an extra point. This is for admission purposes only - what they get for college credit is another subject.