• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
I have never thought about bringing the dogs on our yearly beach vacation as I felt they could use the vacation from us and us from them. We have a great trainer that boards the dogs at his home and I believe they have a blast while we are gone.

That said, my adult daughter has a small dog that she would like to bring with us this summer. He is a water dog and would love the beach; at least I think he would. I would assume most pet friendly homes have a size limit as well as a pet deposit. What is the norm for this in the Seagrove area? Will the owners allow the dog to swim in their pool, assuming they have a private pool? What about the beach, is there a time of day the dog would be allowed on the beached, leashed or unleashed? Is there one area over another that is more dog friendly?

If the dog is allowed to swim, I would like a home with a private pool. The dog is housebroken and crate trained, so he would not be roaming the home if we were no there with him.

We also have a larger dog, but I don't think I would be interested in bringing her. While my husband would love the take the dogs hiking, I think I would enjoy the week not having to walk the dogs and picking up poop;-) After all, this is my vacation. Don't get me wrong, I love the dogs, but I also love to do things at my own schedule, not the dog's. I would assume it would be hard to find a home that would take a larger dog, and if we brought the big dog, we would then have 2 dogs.

RB1

Beach Lover
Feb 16, 2008
www.BeautifulBeach.com
Hi Pokey,
We have several pet friendly homes that allow small dogs. The normal deposit which is non-refundable is $200 - the price may vary depending on the home. I believe that in Walton County, dogs are only allowed on the beach if you are a property owner and have a license to have your dog on the beach. However, there are many beautiful areas to walk your dog that are not on the beach, but with a view of the beach. As far as your little dog swimming in a private pool, it is not allowed and probably not so good for your dog's skin as chlorinated water tends to dry out a dog's skin and might make him itch. If you would like to check out our pet friendly properties, just click here. Hope I was helpful. :chill:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Dogs must be leashed in addition to what RB1 stated. Also, please pick up after your dog.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
Is there any part of the beach where a dog can be off leash and can a non owner get a license to take a dog on the beach? I know this guy would love to run in the water and play. We might need to head to a different area for our vacation if we can find a place where the dog would be allowed.

No worries about this family picking up after the dogs. Every coat we own has "poop bags" in them as well as many pants pockets! I am the mean lady in the neighborhood that hands a bag to the neighbor when they don't pick up after their dog. I usually say, "Oh, I see you don't have a bag, here I have extra." Of course that person had not plans to pick up the poop in the first place, but with me standing there, they don't have a choice!

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
I just called Walton County and they said I could not get a permit without being a full time owner :-( I guess we either head to a different beach or leave the dog. I love Seagrove so I think the dog might be out of luck!

chollington

Beach Lover
Aug 10, 2009
Defuniak Springs
I know it's not the same, but you can always take your dogs to the Choctawhatchee Bay on 331 (about 8 minutes North of Seagrove) if you really want to try and get him in the water... I drive by there every afternoon and see dogs running around all the time. The only thing is that its pretty close to the road, so I wouldn't let him roam too far.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
We decide to leave the dog at home. I want my vacation to be my own, on my schedule. We have never traveled with the dogs and I don't want to find out that he feels the need to be walked at 3:00 in the morning, or doesn't like being in his crate at a new locations. Maybe when he is older my daughter can travel with him on her own dime!!