• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
I know, not the best title, but I have always heard Summer's Edge was great for those with small children. Does that mean adults in their 50's without small children will be covering their ears due to the screams of children? I love kids and enjoy watching them on the beach, but I don't want there to be a hundred of them in the pool and no chance of getting a chair, as mom and dad have decided that every child in their family need a chair, even though they never get out of the pool! I was that young parent once, now I am the one that wants a little quiet to read my book.

Tell me I am misinformed!!

Last edited:
I love Summer's Edge. The beach is huge! Just set up near the western side of the beach, and you will be fine.

I hear ya on little kids. They have always made me very nervous. That's why I like our neighborhood just to the west of Summer's Edge so much. In the height of summer, you can count on two hands the number of people on our beach (including kids).

Last edited:

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
when??

Pokey, what time of the year are you thinking of? It can vary with the kiddos!

I know, not the best title, but I have always heard Summer's Edge was great for those with small children. Does that mean adults in their 50's without small children will be covering their ears due to the screams of children? I love kids and enjoy watching them on the beach, but I don't want there to be a hundred of them in the pool and no chance of getting a chair, as mom and dad have decided that every child in their family need a chair, even though they never get out of the pool! I was that young parent once, now I am the one that wants a little quiet to read my book.

Tell me I am misinformed!!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Summer's Edge will have an average number of kids and familes - meaning quite a lot in season. If you're worried about it then you might do better seeking out the few places where there aren't a ton of families, but I can't think of any. Maybe condos or townhomes that are one bedroom only, or a development that is spread out with a huge beach like WaterSound Beach or Alys Beach.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
I really don't mind kids at all; I just didn't know if Summer Edge was "advertised" as being more for kids. We have stayed at Seaside which to me if very family friendly and enjoyed it. I guess I look at Summers Edge as attracting more babies since it is south of 30A.

I think we are leaning toward Groves by the Sea this year as I love that area of Seagrove. We need to downsize this year and I am willing to walk farther to the beach to get a nice home.

We are looking for the summer, so I know there will be a lot of families wherever we stay and a condo is not what we are interested in.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
What streets are actually a part of Summer's Edge? I know N. Ryan and people always mention Chelsea Loop; what are the other streets?

I would also like to know where the pools are located within the subdivision. Just trying to figure out how close some houses I am looking at are to the pools and beach.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
Nevermind, I now see that Summer's Edge is one street-Ryan, North and South. I thought it was a bigger complex with several streets.

Chelsea Loop *is* part of Summer's Edge. There is a pool there as well as on Ryan Street. I've never seen more than a few people in the pool on Chelsea Loop because there are just a few houses on that street. You'd be better off on Chelsea Loop, being closer to the beach, and not having to cross 30-A.

BTW I have no selfish motivation in this recommendation. My sister has a house on Chelsea Loop that she doesn't rent, and her family spends much of the summer there. So I frequently stop by to visit because our house is in Seagrove as well.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
Thanks Beach Runner! After staying in the same house for years, we are needing to find something smaller and less expensive this year. I have been spoiled by the house we have rented in the past, so I am doing a ton of research to find the next perfect house.

I would like to stay in the area by Grove by the Sea, but feel that if we get too far back in the subdivision it will feel like we really are not at the beach. I want to be able to at least see the beach from the tower room; otherwise I could just stay home and go to the pool in my own subdivision!

Summer's Edge while not exactly as far west as I like, might fit the bill if I can find a house I like, for the price I like. I have also looked at Watercolor, but for the price you pay there, you would think you could be closer to the beach. Love the houses in Watercolor, just not the price for the closer sections.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Do you have to come in the summer? If you can rearrange to visit when schools are in, the crowds are smaller and fewer kids. Late May is awesome, so is early September after the Labor Day week crowd has left.