• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
i saw a need for a middle beach road some time ago, but there seems little chance of going thru with it now. It would have to run right thru existing subdivisions, etc. An attempt was made a few years back to have a trolley car provide "mass transit" and it went over like a lead balloon. The "golf cart parkway" some people are envisioning on another thread is completely out of the question. A suggestion was made a few years ago to put a roundabout at the corner of 30a and 395, which seemed at first to be a good idea until you realize that it would never work in relation to the bikepath as it now stands. As anti-progressive as it might seem, i believe we should let the good old highway 30-a remain pretty much as it is.
amen

JED

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2008
SRB
jamesdillon80.shutterfly.com
Tsutci - Public trasport with pull offs is a must - your right on the mark there. As far as public vs private- if we want year round trasportaion and accountablitly then public. A public private model must be out there and I bet there is some Fed. money for developoing such a program. As well as a requiered service contact for the area. With provisions for the slow season. Feeder roads still a must - a wiki might be the answer to the getting us on the road to making this real.

J

As anti-progressive as it might seem, I believe we should let the good old highway 30-A remain pretty much as it is.

I completely agree. I also believe if the forests were further divided by another road, it would open the doors for further potential development to this areas vast detriment. The current national parks are an anchor to this areas natural beauty and allure. A 'middle' road dividing them is an awful idea in my opinion.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I completely agree. I also believe if the forests were further divided by another road, it would open the doors for further potential development to this areas vast detriment. The current national parks are an anchor to this areas natural beauty and allure. A 'middle' road dividing them is an awful idea in my opinion.

To clarify, much of the land a middle beach road would cross is state forest, and none of it is national park. We have no national park lands in Walton County. But essentially, the same rules apply, as state land it would not be open for development. Although there are those who say protected state lands are sacrosanct and untouchable, and taking them for roads or any other purpose is a slippery slope. There are people who say that eventually protected lands will go to developers, and some who say they will lie down in front of the bulldozers.

To clarify, much of the land a middle beach road would cross is state forest, and none of it is national park. We have no national park lands in Walton County. But essentially, the same rules apply, as state land it would not be open for development. Although there are those who say protected state lands are sacrosanct and untouchable, and taking them for roads or any other purpose is a slippery slope. There are people who say that eventually protected lands will go to developers, and some who say they will lie down in front of the bulldozers.

I meant state parks, not national. My bad! ;-) Living on Eastern Lake and on the edge of Point Washington Forest, much of my serenity comes from the beauty of unspoiled nature at my doorstep. That combined with the beautiful beaches and the amazing vibe of the people who live here make for something very special. I think a middle road through the forests would be a step towards some of that magic going away...

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
If it wasn't so seasonal I think that a road and other ideas (e.g. Public transit) would make sense and be feasible. But I believe there are two many slow months out of the year to warrant implemtation of these ideas no matter how well intended .