• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
I am kinda thinking of this as a "homecoming" for Fuds. That started out in a shanty on the beach in Miramar (Old 98 before there was a New 98). Fun times had there!!

I remember that little shack and used to go there back in the day when there was no "new" 98 and it took quite a while in the summer just to get into Destin to get some groceries...lol.

Captain Larry

SoWal.com Featured Blogger
Mar 21, 2006
Eastern Lake
Always glad to hear a "local boy" doing good. I too remember surfing in front of the original place Chester had in (what is now ) Miramar beach. (funny how a 2 block long S/D now takes up 10 miles!) Chester has always been a stand up guy and matched his business to the clientel available. He is a class act doing business and a family guy. I saw him for the first time in 10 years up the ditch last weekend trout fishin'. Maybe if he opens up here we'll see more of him. I'm sure he'll keep his standards of jumping into helping the community around his business

Another quick note-- there are a lot of "kids" in the area that got thier education because of Chesters wife-- she kept teachin' LONG after the restaraunts had made it big-- just the way that family ran----

Change and development are inevitable, this area is too nice for all the yankees to not want to be here. Business owners with local ties are always better than a distant corporation that dosn't care-------

Deadfish

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm sure that I will not stop FudPuckers from succeeding in SoWal.

That said, I fail to see how a new restaurant opening in SoWal will create more jobs. From my point of view (very limited), I see a fixed number of diners in SoWal in a given year. That may grow, but not due to the number of restaurants. A new restaurant such as Fud's will pull business from other existing restaurants. So, while it may seem like Fud's will be creating new jobs, in a sense, they will be taking income from employees working at other restaurants, which may lead to less staff on a given shift.

I am very much in favor of choices, and the successful businesses will prosper and the poor ones typically close shop. That is a good thing. I just don't like tackiness mixed with mass dining -- reminds of places like Gatlinburg, TN and Helen, GA.

By the way, my thoughts on the comment about it being on hwy 98 -- "so what:"
Just wait until hwy 98 is filled with traffic lights and bumber to bumper traffic. It may not be bad today, but eventually, Hwy 98 will likely be seasonally busy and much slower to navigate. Walmarts mixing with Bald Eagles and Black Bears -- just doesn't work for me, but hey, Walmart is "successful," if you care about only numbers on a piece of paper. I care about much more.

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
I'm sure that I will not stop FudPuckers from succeeding in SoWal.

That said, I fail to see how a new restaurant opening in SoWal will create more jobs. From my point of view (very limited), I see a fixed number of diners in SoWal in a given year. That may grow, but not due to the number of restaurants. A new restaurant such as Fud's will pull business from other existing restaurants. So, while it may seem like Fud's will be creating new jobs, in a sense, they will be taking income from employees working at other restaurants, which may lead to less staff on a given shift.

I am very much in favor of choices, and the successful businesses will prosper and the poor ones typically close shop. That is a good thing. I just don't like tackiness mixed with mass dining -- reminds of places like Gatlinburg, TN and Helen, GA.

By the way, my thoughts on the comment about it being on hwy 98 -- "so what:"
Just wait until hwy 98 is filled with traffic lights and bumber to bumper traffic. It may not be bad today, but eventually, Hwy 98 will likely be seasonally busy and much slower to navigate. Walmarts mixing with Bald Eagles and Black Bears -- just doesn't work for me, but hey, Walmart is "successful," if you care about only numbers on a piece of paper. I care about much more.

But when is the last time the restaurants around here hired people? Alot of them have Russians working in the kitchens instead of locals and the locals that do get jobs are keeping them longer than ever these days because of the economy and, again, the fact that there are no jobs in SoWal. We need all the potential jobs we can get.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Fud's was in Seagrove for a while and IMO it was just a bit to early for it to make it. The establishment was classy and not a remake of Fud's in Destin. Father Fud is a friend of the family and I look forward to the new establishment and I trust he is well aware of the standards here verses Destin or PCB. I hope the local peeps will give Fud's a chance especially since the Sowal Fud's concept hasn't been made public yet. The owners of Fudpuckers are very community minded and I know they will make great neighbors.

I'm against a FUD anywhere near 30A if I had my choice, but I understand property rights have some place in this discussion too. If the family that owns the fudpuck dynasty really shares the vision of 30A as unique, then maybe they'll get with a local architect or designer to recreate a new style Walton Co. FUDpuckers. There are ways to at last make the tacky, faux tasteful. To me, the bigger travesty are the dozens of sh*tty Myrtle Beach/PCB/VomitCity USA style signs that our own damn Tourist Development Counsel put on 30A last year.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Just had a rational thought.

I'm in favor of FudPuckers if they're taxed properly.

The way I see it, having a cheesy fudpuckers lowers everyone in South Walton's property value, by a half percent. Add up the value of all property in South Walton, and have FudPuckers pay the lost value, over 30 years, as a "value loser assessment"

The reason rich assholes from Montgomery want to come to South Walton instead of PCB or Orange Beach is their apparently mistaken belief that no FUDPUCKERS will be here.... now we're gonna f*ck that up to displace (create) 5 part time jobs running a deep frier?

Like I said, if FudPuckers will simply remit 0.5% of the total South Walton proerty valuation, over the next 30 years, than it will be a fair deal.

Foodlover

Beach Fanatic
Oct 15, 2006
South Walton
I am kinda thinking of this as a "homecoming" for Fuds. That started out in a shanty on the beach in Miramar (Old 98 before there was a New 98). Fun times had there!!

I remember that! One of my earliest memories of this area and it's beautiful beaches -- my first time in the area, we happened to pull over at Fud's for a soda.

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
Just had a rational thought.

I'm in favor of FudPuckers if they're taxed properly.

The way I see it, having a cheesy fudpuckers lowers everyone in South Walton's property value, by a half percent. Add up the value of all property in South Walton, and have FudPuckers pay the lost value, over 30 years, as a "value loser assessment"

The reason rich assholes from Montgomery want to come to South Walton instead of PCB or Orange Beach is their apparently mistaken belief that no FUDPUCKERS will be here.... now we're gonna f*ck that up to displace (create) 5 part time jobs running a deep frier?

Like I said, if FudPuckers will simply remit 0.5% of the total South Walton proerty valuation, over the next 30 years, than it will be a fair deal.

Again, that is your opinion and others that disagree with you are not wrong just because you say so. You seem to be speaking for alot of people from other places about why they come here and what they want. Sounds like it is what you want that matters to you.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I'm against a FUD anywhere near 30A if I had my choice, but I understand property rights have some place in this discussion too. If the family that owns the fudpuck dynasty really shares the vision of 30A as unique, then maybe they'll get with a local architect or designer to recreate a new style Walton Co. FUDpuckers. There are ways to at last make the tacky, faux tasteful. To me, the bigger travesty are the dozens of sh*tty Myrtle Beach/PCB/VomitCity USA style signs that our own damn Tourist Development Counsel put on 30A last year.

Since when do "we" get to declare what is tacky. I think we need more funk out this way. I happen to think the Village of South Walton is one of the tackiest buildings I have ever seen. I wish we had more funky, tacky building with chickens, pigs and dogs running wild. We need to get back to the funk that made this area unique. Its people like Chester that make it happen. He created a business that adaptes to the demand of his clients. He would do the same in Sowal and would probably continue to donate greatly to our community like he does in Destin.
I spoke with Chester today and keep in mind this is still in the very early stages. They are really just feeling it out at this time.

"You aint been pucked till you been fudpucked"! Father Fud will be a fine addition to Sowal 98!

Last edited: