• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
So if we're coming down on Friday, should we use 79?

Thanks for asking the question I was going to ask. It looks like if we want to see SoWal this weekend, we'd better find another way. Fifteen minutes waiting on top of all those hours already in the car would be the last straw!:bang:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
U.S. 331 Improvement Project - Walton County, FL
February 1 - February 22
U.S. 331 (SR 83), between the U.S. 98 (SR 30) intersection and the southern end of the Clyde B. Wells Bridge across Choctawhatchee Bay.​
Description:
North and southbound traffic is shifted to the outside travel lanes while paving crews apply the final layer of asphalt to the inside lanes, medians and crossovers. Once complete, traffic will be shifted to the inside travel lanes to allow for paving of the outside lanes.
Drivers may experience occasional lane closures and traffic shifts during the paving work.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
They are painting stripes almost immediately after laying the final coat of asphalt. They are moving rapidly. Also doing road work on the north side of the Bay, near the bridge. They shifted the lanes over to one side and are grinding asphalt from what used to be the bike lane.

I was stuck on the bridge last night for 45 minutes heading South. Due to congestion on 98 they seemed to be trying to clear that part up but in the process jammed 331 even more. I spoke with CW Roberts this morning and they claim that they do not expect any additional significant delays.

Sarah Moss

Beach Lover
Apr 5, 2006
Black Creek
Yes, but it's more preliminary work with no lane closures. That and the fact that it's 4 lanes of 65mph from 20 south makes it a little of a time saver.

Driving North on 79 I ran into a section that had one of the lanes blocked, but the fast lane was open! :D I didn't see any construction vehicles, it was just a big open highway with little traffic. For anyone that goes this way...is the new bridge the smoothest ever or am I just accustomed to the Clyde B. Wells?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Driving North on 79 I ran into a section that had one of the lanes blocked, but the fast lane was open! :D I didn't see any construction vehicles, it was just a big open highway with little traffic. For anyone that goes this way...is the new bridge the smoothest ever or am I just accustomed to the Clyde B. Wells?

No, that road is a dream drive. I had trouble staying awake driving down it one time.