• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
so many problems to solve. With the future of limiting the number of beach permits on Grayton Beach, expect tons more parking problems in Grayton, even if someone builds a small parking lot. Interestingly, it seems that the same person who pushed the removing of the vehicles from Grayton Beach is the same person who wants to build the parking lot (pay per use, I believe).

Prisoners just widened the parking area along Hotz two weeks ago, and that gives a little more room, but not when you park a 20ft long Chevy in a space meant for a 13 ft long vehicle. Multiple that times 2 for the other side of the street, and you have traffic problems.
OMC! You are so right! I had not thought about the negative repercussions of the new beach permit law.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Prisoners just widened the parking area along Hotz two weeks ago, and that gives a little more room, but not when you park a 20ft long Chevy in a space meant for a 13 ft long vehicle. Multiple that times 2 for the other side of the street, and you have traffic problems.

There is a painted line on the asphalt, signs that say "bumpers must be ahead of the line", signs for compact car spaces, and they are all regularly and blatantly ignored.

I think increasing parking is necessary too, but actually enforcing the existing regulations would go a long way in making sure emergency vehicles could actually get through.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
My vehicle's not a problem, but I can honestly say I am not aware of this line you spoke of. Lots of sand on those roads near the beach.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
There is a painted line on the asphalt, signs that say "bumpers must be ahead of the line", signs for compact car spaces, and they are all regularly and blatantly ignored.

I think increasing parking is necessary too, but actually enforcing the existing regulations would go a long way in making sure emergency vehicles could actually get through.

Sheriff Adkinson addressed this at the workshop I attended. The sign is not backed up by an actual law so there's nothing they can enforce.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
So it's easier to reroute traffic than repaint a line? :roll:

WTF do we have parking signs/rules if they are unenforceable? :bang:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
repainting the lines doesn't stop the need for decent parking for standard length vehicles.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
You can park a full size vehicle (like a pickup) in those spaces and be in front of the line.

Most of the time it's just laziness & bad parking, not a true lack of space.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Again SB, there is no ordinance or law to back up the signs. The Sheriff's department can go out and give tickets, but someone in the know would simply have to challenge it. As Sheriff Adkinson has stated he'd rather follow the law than try and circumvent it. One waying Hotz is a good idea and I can guarantee you it's gonna be a cluster puck like you've never seen for the frist couple months since people who only come a week or two a year won't know that they can't go west any more. In the long run though it'll be much better than the slow moving parking lot that currently exists during peak times.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
What if... you live on Defuniak just above Lydia Street. It is 6PM and you need to go out. You pull out of your driveway, (you have to head out via Hotz.} You steer your car through the maze of vehicles parked every which way on Hotz. You then have to wait on the trucks and boats trailers that are leaving the beach after a day of fishing via the Garfield beach entry. You get behind a rather large boat where the driver is having a hard time making the left turn on to the sharp corner on Lydia. He has to back up and try again. As he finally makes the turn, he meets oncoming traffic on Lydia. Someone has to give. The road is not wide enough. The car being smaller decides to retreat. He has to wait to back out onto Defuniak because there are incoming cars coming in, the car finally backs out. ( Before he backs out he had to make a decision, does he head out toward Hotz so he can do the maze in front of the Red Bar and Shorty's or does he head back down Defuniak make a quick U turn in someone's driveway and try his turn again at Lydia. Now remember he was just headed home after a day of work. He lives on the corner of Garfield and Lydia. Think he is happy?) Meanwhile The driver with the boat continues down Lydia. At the corner, he has to wait on traffic because in order to leave Lydia without taking out a fence or a bush or the tree he has to swing out onto DeFuniak. He needs both lanes. You , the original person in my story, make the turn on Defuniak. You see your house across the way even wave at your grand daughter sitting on the porch. You are now on your way. it is only 6:30...aren't you glad that you gave yourself a 30 minute start. AND Grayton RESIDENTS are suppose to be happy about this situation!!!Another HOTZ situation...you bring your company to eat at the Red Bar..all parking spots are filled...so you keep circling the area joining others who are looking for a parking place on Hotz too. After all you don't want to diasappoint your company....so what happens to Lydia...it becomes a section in the "ring around the rosey" parade of cars. How great for the neighborhood. How great for the folks on Lydia. After you do the circle for 2 or 3 times you opt to park right in that driveway, it looks like that house might be a rental, maybe no one is renting it this week or may the owners aren't in town. You and your company at this point are willing to take a chance. You park on private property.When you said you were a local...you didn't say your were a resident of Grayton. So perhaps the Hotz situation wouldn't be a daily problem for you...but for Grayton residents it will be. Holidays, Spring Break and Summer Vacations and Snowbird Season...we will have to deal with this year round.

Why don't people with boats just use the access off of Defuniak St., that's what I would do if I had a boat down there. That way they would avoid Lydia all together. Even if there are some larger vehicles that will go down Lydia, you can access it straight on if you stay on Hotz and follow it all the way around. It seems like this is what happens anyway.