• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pattymcbob

Beach Lover
Dec 3, 2008
We've been told by our insurance company that unless we add outdoor shutters on all of our windows (most of them are covered), our policy will be dropped. We've had this insurance since we built the house 6 years ago & at the time we received coverage, shutters weren't mentioned. Even though the southern windows are covered, we have some windows that cannot be shuttered (breakfast room window extension). We've never filed a claim for property insurance anywhere. Because this is beachfront property, we suspect that the company involved is looking for an excuse. Does anyone know if there is someone we should contact for help with this?

The Window Guy

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
There is help in the area!

Yes!

:clap:Call Carole Hooker w/Harris Insurance @ 850-244-2111
or Jennifer Brooks w/ Southern Coastal Insurance @ 850-269-3653.
Tell them your scenario. They can move you to a company called First Proctective which does recognize 3M Safety/Security Film for windows and old shaped windows that are hard to cover from the outside.

Then I can help you also!!!!!

Good Luck & call me

:cool:Steve Cobucci
S.C. Designing, Inc.
Authorized 3M Films Dealers
850-687-0646
www.scdesigninginc.com

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
steve i'm pretty sure first protective requires a gated neighorhood AND A GUARD AT THE GATE if you rent your home out. i shopped them all and its tough as heck to get property ins at a reasonable price if you rent it out short term.also first protective is a very very smal ins co.ins sucks in fla

The Window Guy

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks for your input! I have not heard about what you said. I have done many home over the years hear on the water, Burnt Pines, High end homes in Destin, Short term rentals etc. with great success!
Things could have changed recently, but I suggest you call the agents to verify your comment. I have been with First Protective for over 3 years.

Please note: I am a window film expert! Not an insurance expert!

Thanks for the comments!

Good luck,
Steve

JED

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2008
SRB
jamesdillon80.shutterfly.com
Interesting - I just got dumped too...for being in an house "built on stilts,pilings, or piers or with open foundations are ineligible." Caught me off guard - will be shopping on Monday! Any input is great. BTW my house has been standing for 12 years now & never once was this an issue - but of course thats whats in all the small print were not supposed to read ! Go figure
BTW - it was Sunshine State Ins. that sent me the wonderful news so if you have them and are up off the ground - beware or be pro-active.

J

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
Recommendation

BTW....the WINDOW GUY/Steve does a GREAT JOB!!!
he did some windows for us several years ago....perfect job & still looking great

Grand Floridian

Beach Comber
Feb 7, 2010
Many Florida homeowners are facing this issue, comply or be canceled. The State of Florida was the first to require homeowners to retro fit their homes with code compliant hurricane protection. Their Citizens policy required all home owners with a 750,000 and above replacement cost to come into compliance or they would not be renewed. There are many Florida Product approved hurricane systems that can bring your home into compliance with the insurance requirements. Window film does not have Florida Product Approval for hurricane protection. Some film does strengthen the glass, but not the sash or the frame. This is important if a large missile hits window/door frame or even the glass can be pushed out of its sash and window / door will fail. Your current doors and windows frames are not designed for large missile impact. The windscreen abatement products are the same cost as window film and offer full protection for large missile and the increased design pressures created by a hurricane. They are tested by a Florida licensed engineers in testing labs and must pass the entire test to receive the Florida Product Approval. Be sure that when receiving a quote, that the installer/dealer is a Florida licensed contactor. Only accept products that have Florida Product Approval, be sure that they or an engineer has calculated the design pressures and the product meets those design pressures. Walton County is in a 140 mph exposure C. Walton County also requires all hurricane shutters to be permitted and inspected by the Building Department.
We sell and install a full line of Florida Product approved hurricane systems.
I hope this helps,

Shane Adams
Grand Floridian Shutter Systems
850-230-1474
RB0067138

BBB A + since 1999

Grand Floridian

Beach Comber
Feb 7, 2010
Insurance canceled

Many Florida homeowners are facing this issue, comply or be canceled. The State of Florida was the first to require homeowners to retro fit their homes with code compliant hurricane protection. Their Citizens policy required all home owners with a 750,000 and above replacement cost to come into compliance or they would not be renewed. There are many Florida Product approved hurricane systems that can bring your home into compliance with the insurance requirements. Window film does not have Florida Product Approval for hurricane protection. Some film does strengthen the glass, but not the sash or the frame. This is important if a large missile hits window/door frame or even the glass can be pushed out of its sash and window / door will fail. Your current doors and windows frames are not designed for large missile impact. The windscreen abatement products are the same cost as window film and offer full protection for large missile and the increased design pressures created by a hurricane. They are tested by a Florida licensed engineers in testing labs and must pass the entire test to receive the Florida Product Approval. Be sure that when receiving a quote, that the installer/dealer is a Florida licensed contactor. Only accept products that have Florida Product Approval, be sure that they or an engineer has calculated the design pressures and the product meets those design pressures. Walton County is in a 140 mph exposure C. Walton County also requires all hurricane shutters to be permitted and inspected by the Building Department.
We sell and install a full line of Florida Product approved hurricane systems.
I hope this helps,

Shane Adams
Grand Floridian Shutter Systems
850-230-1474
RB0067138

BBB A + since 1999
progress.gif

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Thank you Shane. I don't want to bash anyone out there trying to make a living. A huge consideration when looking to possibly put film over your glass is that the window or door manufacturer will void their warranty because of the film. Too many folks applying film are using razor blades to cut the film to size which scores and weakens the original pane of glass. The other thing I've personally seen is applying the film on the outboard lite which can cause a massive heat buildup between the two panes of insulated glass which will stress crack the glass.

I sell hurricane impact windows and this is another option for you to consider. A full tear out of the original windows to one that does meet code.

Now, all of that being said, I believe there is yet another issue rearing its ugly head that needs to be addressed. Short term rentals are running into insurance issues just because the people in the home aren't full time and if I read it correct, may not be as educated as to what to do with a home should a storm approach while they are there putting the home at greater risk of pressurizing. Does anyone have any input as to this last thought for those seeking insurance?

We have worked with many homeowners in your situation. I have some ideas on how to help if you would like to give me a call. I can also share some stories with you regarding what other homeowners have done. Depending on your home, you could have several options that may or may not require shutters. Please feel free to give me a call at 850-259-6571.

Thanks,

Melinda Adams