• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachwanabe

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
Missouri
We just saw some deer tracks a couple of weeks ago at Camp Helen right as you enter Bay County, have driven by there since 1986, finally stopped for the first time. The tracks crossed the path walking to the beach, the deer were headed towards the lake area. On our way back to Rosemary Beach from Destin saw deer on 98, then the next day we saw 5 more just past Pier Park on the north side of 98. I thought I was back in Missouri in the woods. Hunters put salt blocks out for deer in Missouri so Kurt is right on about them liking salt.

Our second last day Jan 30th we saw what looked like a wolf on north side of 98 by Peach Creek, both my wife and I were pretty excited, checked the internet after we got back to our condo, verified that it was a wolf. Are wolves common in the area?

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
how was the camping?
The campground is nice and it is a great place, but every time I have been there the mosquitoes were really, really bad. I tent camp, and I just went to bed at dusk because it was impossible to be out. If you can stand to douse yourself with DEET or if you have a big screen enclosure it would be worth the drive. The nearly empty beach is great and the mosquitoes for the most part stay off the beach. The bay is nice too, for kayaking.
Last day trip out there we only took a walk in the state park and the mosquitoes were just as bad as ever. Normally I don't complain about bugs but it reminded me of the Everglades. :blink:

Hubby is making gumbo today. The Vent-A-Hood obviously works well because there are four deer congregated near the exterior vent.

Who knew that deer have so much in common with us? They like the beach, and they obviously like the smell of gumbo.:lol:

Here is a photo of them from my kitchen window.

Last edited:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Go pick up a copy of the Walton Sun for this week and there the deer are right on the front page.

ShiningStar

Beach Comber
Feb 10, 2010
There certainly is a lot of wildlife in the woods near the beach so deer on the beach would not be impossible. I have seen raccoons before.

rheffron

Beach Fanatic
Jan 17, 2008
I was blown away by deer tracks right on BMB. What would draw them there? Can't drink the water, nothing to eat. Were they just playing? Anyone ever seen deer on the beach or like me, their tracks?

Thanks
G

They were there for the hands across the Sands protest!

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
With the "controlled" burns going around and just normal circumstances, I've been on the lookout for deer moving. Saw some deer near the roadside along 395 on way home tonight. Slow down as you turn off 98 on the way down to 30A.