• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
451 posts so far about this little old airport...it had better be the most spectacular airport of all time! Where's my sarc mark or sarcasterist or whaterever it is? :sarc: (I feel so much better...)

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I just looked at Delta flights for a three day trip during the same week in April, May and June. They all had the same starting city, but the first two landed in PFN for approx. $620. The third one landed in ECP for $325. Very interesting...

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I compared a southwest flight with a delta flight from Detroit to the new Panama City airport. The southwest flight was about $350 and the Delta was about $370 - not much difference, but I hope there are sales. Delta's flight into Fort Walton Beach was $450. So, the new airport will be making it less expensive to get to SoWal. I will be looking for sales for sure.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Now that I've finished crying because Southwest did not decide to offer direct flights from Detroit, I've looked to other solutions. Southwest has connecting flights from Detroit through Nashville or Baltimore to the new airport, and both are cheaper than other flights into Panama City or Fort Walton Beach. They take about the same amount of time as well. And I assume Southwest will have sales as well. So, even if we haven't gotten rid of the layover from the midwest to SoWal, at least flights look like they'll be cheaper. And that makes me very happy. A direct flight would make be ecstatic.

Southwest has a hub in Phoenix. Perhaps someday there will be direct flights to the new airport. In the meantime I should be enjoying cheaper fares too. :clap:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
St. Joe Co. reports 2009 loss as it awaits opportunities around Panama City airport | Jacksonville.com

St. Joe said in its annual report filed today that it does not expect ?significant favorable changes? in the housing market in 2010.

Company officials are much more optimistic about the opening of the Panama City airport. St. Joe last fall negotiated an agreement with Southwest Airlines Co. that will bring eight daily non-stop flights into the airport.

?We believe this is a game changer for our company and our shareholders,? St. Joe CEO Britt Greene said in a conference call with analysts.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Tannehill: Delta To Fly Bigger Jets to New Airport — The New ECP

Delta Air Lines is expected to bring bigger planes and lower prices, [Airport Authority Chairman Joe] Tannehill said. Government officials expect the airport to draw new companies, increase tourism and help the Bay County economy recover from the worst recession since 1975 faster than other areas of the state.
Delta is expected to begin flights of MD-88 jets when the new airport opens at the end of May.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Tannehill: Delta To Fly Bigger Jets to New Airport ? The New ECP
Delta Air Lines is expected to bring bigger planes and lower prices, [Airport Authority Chairman Joe] Tannehill said. Government officials expect the airport to draw new companies, increase tourism and help the Bay County economy recover from the worst recession since 1975 faster than other areas of the state.
Delta is expected to begin flights of MD-88 jets when the new airport opens at the end of May.

The prices look lower already from what I checked. It will be great if they switch to MD 88's.

Last edited:

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Tannehill: Delta To Fly Bigger Jets to New Airport ? The New ECP

The prices look lower already from what I checked. It will be great if they switch to MD 88's.

But...and I stress a big "but"...

If they don't fill them, don't be surprised if the 88's aren't gone within a couple months. My gut feeling is that Delta expects a surge due to SW, but if they can't fill them, Delta will revert back to the smaller regional jets.

It's a calculated risk at best. Currently, the aircraft being used only operate at about 60-70% capacity...maybe 80 as a stretch. That sounds like a good number until you put those passengers in a MD88. Now, you're talking about 20%. That math doesn't add up to $$ made. If they can fill 'em, more power to them, but only time will tell.

Last edited:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
But...and I stress a big "but"...

If they don't fill them, don't be surprised if the 88's aren't gone within a couple months. My gut feeling is that Delta expects a surge due to SW, but if they can't fill them, Delta will revert back to the smaller regional jets.

It's a calculated risk at best. Currently, the aircraft being used only operate at about 60-70% capacity...maybe 80 as a stretch. That sounds like a good number until you put those passengers in a MD88. Now, you're talking about 20%. That math doesn't add up to $$ made. If they can fill 'em, more power to them, but only time will tell.

Fair enough. I will enjoy them while I can.