• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Recently honored as one of the state's best new restaurants by Florida Trend magazine, Alys Beach's 'Caliza' announced that it has recruited two key talents. Australia-born Shayne Vaughan is Caliza's new Executive Chef and Jaie O?Banner is the restaurant's new General Manager. Caliza officially re-opens for the 2010 season on Wednesday, March 3.

Formally trained in Brisbane, Australia, Vaughan has been surrounded by the world of food from a very young age, and his style emphasizes fresh, local and organic flavors.

Prior to graduation, Vaughan worked as part of a team in the Food Asia International Salon Culinaire in Singapore. It was there that Vaughan met salon judge Chef Herbet Franscescini, who offered Vaughan an apprenticeship at the Brisbane Hilton Hotel. Vaughan?s subsequent four years at the Hilton afforded him the experience of working with exceptional culinary talents from around the world. Vaughan studied and worked throughout Europe, before accepting the role of Sous Chef at Hotel Syracuse-Radisson Plaza in New York and then as Executive Sous Chef at Bluepointe at Atlanta. Vaughan relocated to Walton County in 2007 to accept the Chef De Cuisine position at Grayton Beach?s famous Criolla?s Restaurant.

Alys Beach also announced the appointment of Caliza's new General Manager, Jaie O?Banner.

No stranger to locals, visitors and fine dining enthusiasts, O?Banner brings more than 20 years of hospitality experience to Caliza's team. O?Banner served as managing partner of Trattoria Borago in Grayton Beach, and more recently, as General Manager of Fish Out of Water, a restaurant that achieved the AAA 4 Diamond award. As General Manager, O'Banner maintained that AAA 4 Diamond status for years, was awarded a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, and was highlighted as the best performing outlet in the Noble House portfolio in regard to revenue, revenue management, and guest satisfaction. O?Banner has also personally attained Level One certification through the Guild of Master Sommeliers.

?Alys Beach is absolutely honored to have two such remarkable talents join our team,? said Scott Stephens, Alys Beach?s Vice President of Resort Operations. ?They each possess the professional excellence and expertise that our residents, guests and visitors deserve. We could not be more proud to welcome both Shayne and Jaie to Caliza.?

Caliza officially re-opens for the 2010 season on Wednesday, March 3. The menu will feature dishes created from local, sustainable, and organic ingredients supporting local farmers and fisherman. In keeping with a tapas style, the addition of small plates and dishes designed specifically to share will be available.The restaurant's 2010 hours of operation are Tuesday through Saturday, from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Reservations are encouraged but not required, and can be made by calling 850-213-5700.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I already had heard this great news, but reading the press release makes me SO happy!! We are so excited for Shayne- he deserves this, and I (and many others) can tell you from personal experience- he is a wonderful chef and great guy.:love:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Shayne and Jaie in one place AND it's the fabulous Caliza pool - I better start buying lotto tickets so I can be a regular! :love:

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
Should definitely be a great place to hang out and chill!! We are super excited as well to welcome both these uber talents!!!