• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
I saw that same pack further west and they were two abreast. and today, I heard the same thing about the destin bike shop pack this weekend, using the entire roadway on 30A. The law indicates that a bicyclist gets three feet clearance, but anyone dressed in the regalia and traveling as a pack, should know biking etiquette. Just because you're slower doesn't mean you control the road.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Both groups are too focused on "rights" rather than "courtesy". :roll:

That debate couldn't be framed any better than by your obsevation. With a little common sense and courtesy, Scenic 30A can be shared reasonably among Cars/Trucks/SUVs/LSV's and Cyclists alike.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Is anyone here really THAT important or busy or special that they can'ti yield a few seconds here and there for safety and courtesy?

ummm... i could refer you to some earlier discussions, where people felt they were that busy. Many were irate at the suggestion that confomring Low Speed Vehicles on 30A (i.e. 25-35MPH) be allowed to use the remaining 15% or so of 30A they currently cannot (like the 1 mile stretch at Watersound) because the remaining couple sections are posted 45MPH and therefore LSV's aren't by law able to travel on the tiny stretches that currently acts as a LEGAL barricade between Rosemary/Alys/Seacrest/Watersound on the one hand, and Seagrove/Seaside/Watercolor/Grayton on the other.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that Barricade. or the Friends of 30 A... or someone.

I have never EVER biked in a place more unfriendly to cyclists than SoWal. What amazes me is all the stuff I read about folks down here being more enlightened about the environment, health, peace, love and happiness. ALL of that is thrown under the tires of their SUV's when their 5 minute commute to the liquor store, beer store, restaurant, beach, or work is delayed 10 seconds because they had to "swerve" to miss a bike. Flame on!

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
ummm... i could refer you to some earlier discussions, where people felt they were that busy. Many were irate at the suggestion that confomring Low Speed Vehicles on 30A (i.e. 25-35MPH) be allowed to use the remaining 15% or so of 30A they currently cannot (like the 1 mile stretch at Watersound) because the remaining couple sections are posted 45MPH and therefore LSV's aren't by law able to travel on the tiny stretches that currently acts as a LEGAL barricade between Rosemary/Alys/Seacrest/Watersound on the one hand, and Seagrove/Seaside/Watercolor/Grayton on the other.

When it's already pretty well documented that bikers, automobile drivers, and pedestrians are having a bit of a problem being courteous and cooperative on this highway, doesn't it seem just a little bit insane to add another incompatible mode of transport?

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
IMHO the same problems occur along 30A as they do here in cold, rainy, winter gloomy Memphis. Bikes here as well as elsewhere are a growing mode of transportation and demand use of the streets and highways as never before. Here we are trying to bring bike lanes into a reality so the daily confrontation between bikes and cars will be lessened BUT only when bike riders begin to apply the same common sense to their riding habits as car drivers must to their vehicles and it doesn't matter whether that car is going to the grocery, the beach, or the candlestick maker. Single file bike riding, awareness of vehicular traffic waiting patiently or impatiently behind you, observing ALL traffic laws and rules, and everyone being a bit more courteous toward one another. Maybe restrict bike traffic on 30A for certain hours and/or days, after all that is one helluva congested two lane road most of the year. Just saying........

Daugette_Matt

Beach Lover
Jan 12, 2009
I have seen plenty of rude on both sides as well. Not so much from solo cyclists, but from the groups. Riding in single file would be the safest for everyone. I do not speed on 30-a and in my truck I am often hassled by drivers behind me wanting to blast thru seagrove at 55. There are many rude drivers on the road, and for your own safety you cyclists should ride very defensively. Remember spring break is just around the corner, and those people tend to be rotten drivers and rude as well.
I would not be opposed to some of the 50 or so cop cars I see on 30-a daily setting up a few speed traps here and there. They could also ticket cyclists who do not share the road and the seaside non-looking jay walkers.
Enjoy your time moving through paradise, but be considerate no matter how you are rolling down the road.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009

holy crap! you couldn't resist could you? This has nothing to do with LSV's, yet here you are talking about them again. Oh well, at least it made me laugh a little.

I think that scooter is right. We live in a community. We should be more concerned about the safety of the individual than who is right or wrong.