• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
What a crock! You are really all about money not green in my estimation. I drive a new Nissan Versa. It is a small economical car but you fail to mention that if LSV's were allowed on 30A it would probably not prohibit the gas powered ones as well which would put out far more pollution than my Versa. Green, my butt! Its all about money.

Wrong and Wrong.
First, LSV's are allowed on 30A now, except for about 20% of it. Second the LSV statutes, passed by about 40 states so far, are stricter in Florida, where you CANNOT have a gas LSV. All LSV's in Florida are electric.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
robertsondavies,

With all due respect how far is the rental you are trying to keep out of foreclosure from the beach?

Fair enough question. Yes, I agree thatif the county agrees to make the last couple remaining stretches of 30A passable by LSV, it will increase property values that are NOT gulf front or 2nd row. Not to get too personal, but as for your personal question, I sold my beach house in Seagrove in early 2005, and am looking to buy again now.

I wish everyone would just walk everywhere. Barring that, I'm not ANTI LSV, I'm pro LSV like many around the country, despite that they are not a green panacea. All I really want is that stretch at Deer Lake to be LSV amenable. It's the one stretch, that cuts off someone having the run of South Walton in an LSV, between Grayton Beach and Rosemary. It disconnects Seacrest/Alys Beach/Rosemary/Inlet, from the other side of Seagrove/Seaside/Watercolor/Grayton.

It's one stretch that can make the whole thing cohesive. There is fierce opposition to this proposal, which I support wholeheartedly. Some of the opposition is well reasoned. Much is uninformed not understanding that LSV's are currently allowed all over 30A currently, except on the couple of stretches that are 45MPH.

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
Fair enough question. Yes, I agree thatif the county agrees to make the last couple remaining stretches of 30A passable by LSV, it will increase property values that are NOT gulf front or 2nd row. Not to get too personal, but as for your personal question, I sold my beach house in Seagrove in early 2005, and am looking to buy again now.

I wish everyone would just walk everywhere. Barring that, I'm not ANTI LSV, I'm pro LSV like many around the country, despite that they are not a green panacea. All I really want is that stretch at Deer Lake to be LSV amenable. It's the one stretch, that cuts off someone having the run of South Walton in an LSV, between Grayton Beach and Rosemary. It disconnects Seacrest/Alys Beach/Rosemary/Inlet, from the other side of Seagrove/Seaside/Watercolor/Grayton.

It's one stretch that can make the whole thing cohesive. There is fierce opposition to this proposal, which I support wholeheartedly. Some of the opposition is well reasoned. Much is uninformed not understanding that LSV's are currently allowed all over 30A currently, except on the couple of stretches that are 45MPH.

I live on that stretch of 30A, drive it at least twice a day, and I think lowering the speed limit there would be insane. People already regularly drive between 50-65 mph there, I am watching them fly by right now. Putting a bunch of unsecured passengers in an open air vehicle in the speeding and ever-increasing traffic volume that travels that corridor is a recipe for disaster.

I am not anti-green, I am pro-safety. Enforce the laws on the books already and improve the technology so that LSV's travel at a higher rate of speed in a safe, enclosed manner, and I'm all for it. Better yet, start a shuttle service using a vehicle that can legally travel the road as the law reads today. Changing a law that is not even enforced, making it more rigid, just to appease a few people, is not smart. I have no desire to witness anyone being killed on 30A, and I have no doubt that would be the result

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
ban on vehicles on 30A? then why not in Florida? or the USA? the argument is really getting ridiculous. no one is against the use of a golf cart where safely permitted within a neighborhood - this is what they are designed for - short range recreational travel. not 17 miles to dinner at Stinky's from your "resort" on 30A.

forget about the ridiculous notion of everyone going out and getting yet an additional mode of transportation to add to their SUV, honda civic, smart car, scooter and beach jeep. just the fact that it is so ridiculous to contemplate anyone actually going anywhere in one - it isn't practical, it isn't safe, it is in no way "green" and it is not going to get you where you want to go unless its two or three blocks from the rental to the beach access - in which case it should be perfectly allowable.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
I live on that stretch of 30A, drive it at least twice a day, and I think lowering the speed limit there would be insane. People already regularly drive between 50-65 mph there, I am watching them fly by right now. Putting a bunch of unsecured passengers in an open air vehicle in the speeding and ever-increasing traffic volume that travels that corridor is a recipe for disaster.

I am not anti-green, I am pro-safety. Enforce the laws on the books already and improve the technology so that LSV's travel at a higher rate of speed in a safe, enclosed manner, and I'm all for it. Better yet, start a shuttle service using a vehicle that can legally travel the road as the law reads today. Changing a law that is not even enforced, making it more rigid, just to appease a few people, is not smart. I have no desire to witness anyone being killed on 30A, and I have no doubt that would be the result

Ok, a couple excellent observations and points. I would share some the concern of wanting to preserve human life. I myself usually probably travel between 50 and 60MPH on that stretch myself in my SUV. I often come across bicyclists in that stretch among others, and they're going about 25MPH sometimes less, sometimes a bit more... about the save speed as an LSV.

I dont' want to see a bicyclists get killed either, but I'm not willing to take away their freedom to ride that stretch and hope a drunk idiot going 75 not paying attention does not hit them. It is a dangerous stretch in a bicycle or in an LSV - very true. Do you think cyclists should also stay off 45MPH stretches of 30A because of the this? It's a tough call, granted.

I totally agree that LSV's should be made to go faster, to be safer. That is a subject of national debate right now actually, among manufactureres of LSVs who are limited by the original statutes granting them special status, to limit the speed capability, which can easily be boosted by manafacturers... sometimes speed equals more safety, and that is definitely one such case. I am in no way supportive of non LSV compliant vehicles on 30A, and am leery of golf carts made to barely comply, but that can't get up past 20mph.

good points anyhow. I'd interested in your view on whether cyclists should be protected from the potential horrors on that stretch too, or not?

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
ban on vehicles on 30A? then why not in Florida? or the USA? the argument is really getting ridiculous. no one is against the use of a golf cart where safely permitted within a neighborhood - this is what they are designed for - short range recreational travel. not 17 miles to dinner at Stinky's from your "resort" on 30A.

forget about the ridiculous notion of everyone going out and getting yet an additional mode of transportation to add to their SUV, honda civic, smart car, scooter and beach jeep. just the fact that it is so ridiculous to contemplate anyone actually going anywhere in one - it isn't practical, it isn't safe, it is in no way "green" and it is not going to get you where you want to go unless its two or three blocks from the rental to the beach access - in which case it should be perfectly allowable.

sorry, i'm not quite getting your point clearly, or question - if its addressed to me.

dilligas

Beach Crab
Feb 15, 2010
I'm all for lower speeds on 30A. I'm one of those "fools" that drives 25 mph in the 45mph zones anyway (at least until I notice that someone's behind me). I like the slower pace of SoWal life. What's the hurry when you're driving on one of the most scenic stretches of road in the country?

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
For safetys' sake it should be made a FREEWAY, with ZERO cars and ZERo LSV's allowed then. I disagree respectfully with your point, that 30A is not a resort area. Yes it is not a legally defined Planned Unit Develoment per se.. sure.. but it is one cohesive resort area, bound by many things, like this website for one. Watercolor, just aint Watercolor without Seaside, and without the run of 30A to Grayton's offerings, and Deer Lake's beauty. When people stay in Seagrove Beach they lunch at Bud & Alley's Taco Bar for instance, ditto the folks in Watercolor who frequent Sundog Books, or Cafe Onano. Cohesively bound by a unique geography, a wonderful mutli-use path, a world renowned architectural and urban planning style called new urbanism, a sense of community, a place of being, a state of mind (SoWal), etc. 30A is a wonderfully elegant resort area, with distinctive, interactive neighborhoods. That it is technically not one PUD resort is missing the point about people actually USE the area, and THINK about the area. It is a good point of debate however. I hate to see 30A as a FREEWAY or Highway running efficiently, through a series of numerous and different (perhaps controlled access even in future) resort 'hoods. If what you say are true, and shared view of enough people, you can just raise the speed limit on 30A to 50MPH, and then make it "safe" because no LSV's will then be allowed on it at all. The new I- 30 Interstate will also help make your point

Sorry, I'm still siding with the Friends of 30A on this one...

No INTERSTATING of 30A !

I don't think the Friends of 30 A ever said that they wanted to change the speed limit. The idea was brought up to them, so they advertised their meeting about it to see what the community thought. And obviously the majority of the community is not in favor of it, so they dropped it. I was hoping that meant this thread would eventually do the same thing, but I wasn't so lucky.

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
Ok, a couple excellent observations and points. I would share some the concern of wanting to preserve human life. I myself usually probably travel between 50 and 60MPH on that stretch myself in my SUV. I often come across bicyclists in that stretch among others, and they're going about 25MPH sometimes less, sometimes a bit more... about the save speed as an LSV.

I dont' want to see a bicyclists get killed either, but I'm not willing to take away their freedom to ride that stretch and hope a drunk idiot going 75 not paying attention does not hit them. It is a dangerous stretch in a bicycle or in an LSV - very true. Do you think cyclists should also stay off 45MPH stretches of 30A because of the this? It's a tough call, granted.

I totally agree that LSV's should be made to go faster, to be safer. That is a subject of national debate right now actually, among manufactureres of LSVs who are limited by the original statutes granting them special status, to limit the speed capability, which can easily be boosted by manafacturers... sometimes speed equals more safety, and that is definitely one such case. I am in no way supportive of non LSV compliant vehicles on 30A, and am leery of golf carts made to barely comply, but that can't get up past 20mph.

good points anyhow. I'd interested in your view on whether cyclists should be protected from the potential horrors on that stretch too, or not?

I frequently see cyclists on that stretch too, and they are almost always courteous and ride in single file on the far right. Passing them safely and fairly quickly is usually easy, except on the most crowded days in season. There's a short stretch around Prominence where there is a central island which prevents passing, which can be troublesome. The folks who have to suddenly slow down after going 60 typically don't like that, and the folks behind them who cant see what is going on really don't like it, and it gets ugly.

I do not believe people would respond well to actual vehicles which take up the same amount of lane space as a car, and they could perhaps even mistake it for a car and not realize how slow it was going until they were almost rear-ending it. Passing would take longer and require crossing completely into the oncoming lane, which I almost never have to do with cyclists.

What I would really like to see is a bicycle lane in at least one direction on 30A. And while I'm dreaming, ensure the bike/walking path is completely separate from 30A for its entire length. Crossing the causeway at Camp Creek Lake while walking a dog is not fun when there is nothing separating you from the speeding vehicles, and there are several places like that along 30A.

Last edited: