• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
.... And while I'm dreaming, ensure the bike/walking path is completely separate from 30A for its entire length. Crossing the causeway at Camp Creek Lake while walking a dog is not fun when there is nothing separating you from the speeding vehicles, and there are several places like that along 30A.

Could not agree more. I also don't understand why all the areas with the path on the roadway shoulder are not posted for 25 MPH. I believe the two areas west of Watercolor are even worse than the area at Camp Creek and I believe the limit there is 45 MPH. I've seen many small children on bicycles that should not be that close to a roadway with a 45 MPH or even a 35 MPH speed limit.

Since LSVs are already legal on most of 30A and elsewhere in the state, the focus should be on enforcement of the existing requirements. I would argue that most, if not all, of the LSVs I have seen do not meet the requirements posted earlier. If the requirements were enforced I would welcome their presence. This concept is called sharing. Try it you might like it.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Spring breakers are here ............... and some in my neighborhood rented a cart/LSV from a local company.

Yesterday they confirmed every safety concern/prediction of bad behavior people have posted in this thread. :bang:

nr light

Beach Comber
Mar 4, 2010
Destin, FL
What a crock! You are really all about money not green in my estimation. I drive a new Nissan Versa. It is a small economical car but you fail to mention that if LSV's were allowed on 30A it would probably not prohibit the gas powered ones as well which would put out far more pollution than my Versa. Green, my butt! Its all about money.

The state of Florida does not currently allow GAS powered LSV's. They won't be on the road because they won't be registered at the DMV. They won't have tags and they will get pulled over.

I see that many of you say that safety is your primary concern with having these new vehicles on the road. Everyone is speeding to work. Big trucks are going 50-60 mph! Little LSV's are going to get run down because EVERYONE is speeding. Speeding. I think that if your primary concern really was safety... than slow down. Go the speed LIMIT at least. Isn't it safer if we all just go a bit slower anyway? And we are talking a mile here and a mile there...not lowering the speed limit on ALL of 30a.

I feel like we are on the cusp of a very progressive movement here...in a way that is different from most communities. Its hard to deny that there is a world-wide advancement to "green" vehicles, cars and hybrids. Awesome. But 30a is different because of that unique resort-FEEL. (I know there are lots of different resort communities, but Jeffersondavies has a point in that they all FEEL as part of the same community and this forum attests to that.) We CAN do green here like many places can't. We have an opportunity to be progressive and unique. I think LSV's are a step. I think they embrace the lifestyle and genuine quality of life that 30a is known for...

At the very least, it is worth looking into further.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
I think today or tomorrow, or even Wednesday would be a great day for you and robertsondavies to come and sit and watch the traffic in SS(vehicular and pedestrian, and bicycle) Then you could offer a firsthand opinion regarding your position on LSV's on 30A. It may be a bit different.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
The state of Florida does not currently allow GAS powered LSV's. They won't be on the road because they won't be registered at the DMV. They won't have tags and they will get pulled over.

I see that many of you say that safety is your primary concern with having these new vehicles on the road. Everyone is speeding to work. Big trucks are going 50-60 mph! Little LSV's are going to get run down because EVERYONE is speeding. Speeding. I think that if your primary concern really was safety... than slow down. Go the speed LIMIT at least. Isn't it safer if we all just go a bit slower anyway? And we are talking a mile here and a mile there...not lowering the speed limit on ALL of 30a.

I feel like we are on the cusp of a very progressive movement here...in a way that is different from most communities. Its hard to deny that there is a world-wide advancement to "green" vehicles, cars and hybrids. Awesome. But 30a is different because of that unique resort-FEEL. (I know there are lots of different resort communities, but Jeffersondavies has a point in that they all FEEL as part of the same community and this forum attests to that.) We CAN do green here like many places can't. We have an opportunity to be progressive and unique. I think LSV's are a step. I think they embrace the lifestyle and genuine quality of life that 30a is known for...

At the very least, it is worth looking into further.

Be careful nr-light. A few of the local forum celebs have decided that LSVs are a "bad idea" and would prefer we not even discuss it. They wish this thread had "died already", b/c it doesn't comport with their viewpoint.

Apparently they prefer SoWal gain notoriety by rolling back the LSV electric vehicle statute - becoming "the New Urbanist town that prefers the Chevy Suburban be used to get around" to Red Bar, Modica, Publix, Angelinas, Yellowfin, Amavida, the Beach, etc."

I would welcome the debate about this, but apparently the New Urbanists who have so far responded have already settled the matter, in their minds - therefore they wish to stop hearing the arguments for making the last 15% of 30A LSV compatible - ad nauseum.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Dude, please, that horse died long ago and in my opinion, everytime you take a jab at it th SH*T hits the fan. I am glad you have brought your opinion to this forum, but really I think its over at this point.:D

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Be careful nr-light. A few of the local forum celebs have decided that LSVs are a "bad idea" and would prefer we not even discuss it. They wish this thread had "died already", b/c it doesn't comport with their viewpoint.

Apparently they prefer SoWal gain notoriety by rolling back the LSV electric vehicle statute - becoming "the New Urbanist town that prefers the Chevy Suburban be used to get around" to Red Bar, Modica, Publix, Angelinas, Yellowfin, Amavida, the Beach, etc."

I would welcome the debate about this, but apparently the New Urbanists who have so far responded have already settled the matter, in their minds - therefore they wish to stop hearing the arguments for making the last 15% of 30A LSV compatible - ad nauseum.

We have sowal celebs? I always heard that term and thought of Sheryl Crow, Tony Romo, or Sean Payton.

You keep insinuating that we all want big SUV's driving around. Honestly they're as annoying as LSV's. Everyone who has countered your insane ramblings has also preached using a trolly system, biking, or heaven forbid walking.

The only one doing any "spinning" here is you.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
I think today or tomorrow, or even Wednesday would be a great day for you and robertsondavies to come and sit and watch the traffic in SS(vehicular and pedestrian, and bicycle) Then you could offer a firsthand opinion regarding your position on LSV's on 30A. It may be a bit different.

John R. I will gladly review the situation in person soon. Should Seaside be re-trafficed ?(yank stop signs out, widen the streets, create raised over 30A walkovers for pedestrians) to allow better emergency vehicle access, better pedestrian safety and pedestrian isolation, and much quicke, speedier, and arterial flow of all the large delivery and construction trucks on the 30A Highway? Is that the vision? I'm open to your views on it.

I think a solution to your concerns is a Big Dig, ala Boston, thru Seaside, as well as Rosemary perhaps. Perhaps all of 30A. I would be opposed I think it would obnoxiouisly violate certain tenets of New Urbanism. But it would alleviate a great deal of concerns presented by a number of folks that these damn LSV's get in the way, and are dangerous. It would IMPROVE traffic flow greatly on 30A. It would dial speed up greatly, for all those just tired of all those tourists clogging roads up. It would separate the trucks and cars, from the people, dogs, bikes. It may make it more convenient for the locals in many respescts. But in my view, it would be diametrically opposite to what New Urbanism is supposed to stand for. It would kill 30A IMHO, just like the Interstates killed some of our urban cities in the 60's and 70's.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
We have sowal celebs? I always heard that term and thought of Sheryl Crow, Tony Romo, or Sean Payton.

You keep insinuating that we all want big SUV's driving around. Honestly they're as annoying as LSV's. Everyone who has countered your insane ramblings has also preached using a trolly system, biking, or heaven forbid walking.

The only one doing any "spinning" here is you.

Let's stop insulting, and start debating slowly then.

I'm not insinuating that you really want large SUV's at all. I'm trying to get you to realize the practical impact of your views. The fact that we're all for more exercise, biking or walking etc, is a truism we all share - but has nothing to do with the debate at hand, unless we're talking about making all of 30A a NO power vehicle zone period. I'd be for that, but I don't think that's on the table.

I hope these counterpoints haven't been too convoluted or rambling.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Dude, please, that horse died long ago and in my opinion, everytime you take a jab at it th SH*T hits the fan. I am glad you have brought your opinion to this forum, but really I think its over at this point.:D

see above, it wasn't me that brought it up. please don't look at this thread anymore if you've put this horse to rest. Also, if you're very very opposed to 30A, and apparently that's an overwhelming majority opinion, that I will totally stand down, and just figure that I'm just plain wrong on this. If that's the case then y'all need to get together, and get rid of Electric LSV's on 30A. I just have this beautiful hilarious picture in my mind of a ceremony where The New Urbanists, now lead by Karl Rove ceremonially demolish an Electric LSV on the town square in Seaside, as the throngs of Republicans from Atlanta look on and cheer.