• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
In real estate terms, "highest and best use" means most profitable.

Yes, I am well aware of that...

but, profit in dollars doesn't always mean ultimate profit...balancing old with new, nature with human and respect for 100-plus year old trees has much more value in many minds...we just don't have enough of those minds in these parts IMO.

One can always make money, but (apologizes to Joyce Kilmer) only God/Nature can make a tree.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I went to the very first public meeting about the Viridian Hotel, possibly four or five years ago, and the developers, some really good local folks, had plans that we very, very cautious of retaining most of those great trees. They even had an arborist study them and ways to minimize the impact the building would have on them. There was to be a coutyard that would preserve some of them. Due to the dynamics of an economic meltdown, the plans of the Viridian have morphed more than just a little bit, and I have no idea what the building will look like now. (But I hope they don't try to call it the V.)

It does hurt to see great trees torn down. Also, we have to brace ourselves for something possibly even sadder: the eventual demolition of the Seagrove Village Market... it will happen someday (not too soon.)

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I went to the very first public meeting about the Viridian Hotel, possibly four or five years ago, and the developers, some really good local folks, had plans that we very, very cautious of retaining most of those great trees. They even had an arborist study them and ways to minimize the impact the building would have on them. There was to be a coutyard that would preserve some of them. Due to the dynamics of an economic meltdown, the plans of the Viridian have morphed more than just a little bit, and I have no idea what the building will look like now. (But I hope they don't try to call it the V.)

It does hurt to see great trees torn down. Also, we have to brace ourselves for something possibly even sadder: the eventual demolition of the Seagrove Village Market... it will happen someday (not too soon.)

I thought a courtyard had been the plan...I wonder what happened? It seems in the present economic state, there would have been even more incentive to scale down and preserve the courtyard and the trees. I wonder if there was even any thought of relocating them to some place in the forest or one of the state parks?

I wish South Walton had a historical society, and that somewhere on the beach we had a building (maybe the Seagrove Market building) that could be preserved and some of the things from the way the beach used to be could be put on display, along with a collection of photographs chronicling the history of the 30A area.

I feel sad when I think of what we had here and how with one fell swoop of a bulldozer or a chain saw, so much of it is gone forever ... to be replaced by one more condo building or another empty strip mall...I am sad when I think how my grandchildren will never know the dunes and the tiny beach side buildings and the people who loved it just the way it was because they were in awe of what nature had given us. IMO it is unfortunate that we did not have enough vision to preserve more of it by integrating it into the plans for "progress." I am glad for what has been preserved in the parks and the forests and by individuals here and there. I just wonder what the unforeseen consequences of this much development will ultimately be...today when I drive around it does not feel as though we have been good stewards of the land.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I can only echo all of your statements; those trees 'were' truly amazing - could they have been moved?! For the owners: I hope the Viridian is wildly successful.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
does anyone know what they did with the trees? did they just bulldoze them down and haul them off to burn?

was any consideration given to relocating them?

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
When we were practicing in Miami, we collaborated with another husband and wife team on a project in the design district where there were these magnificent oak trees on our site - the developer COULD have chosen to take them down but he is such an enlightened client to begin with that he readily accepted to keep these. We were thrilled. Here is the result - project name: Oak Plaza.

Last edited:

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
The thin smear

of civilization demands that all things old and of any "real" value be destroyed less the citizenery remember and take issue.

Boycott the damn hotel, the bar the dining facility...make them pay in the only coin of value - profits.

Screw'em all. IMHO

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
When we were practicing in Miami, we collaborated with another husband and wife team on a project in the design district where there were these magnificent oak trees on our site - the developer COULD have chosen to take them down but he is such an enlightened client to begin with that he readily accepted to keep these. We were thrilled. Here is the result - project name: Oak Plaza.

Oh Chickpea, I know there are so many ways to do this--it breaks my heart that we lose so much beauty unnecessarily. When I think of all the years we enjoyed that space and those trees and all the storms and all the time those little trees had survived...:sosad:

Thank you for sharing this beautiful spot.
Those guys were lucky to have you on the project.

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I thought a courtyard had been the plan...I wonder what happened? It seems in the present economic state, there would have been even more incentive to scale down and preserve the courtyard and the trees. I wonder if there was even any thought of relocating them to some place in the forest or one of the state parks?

I wish South Walton had a historical society, and that somewhere on the beach we had a building (maybe the Seagrove Market building) that could be preserved and some of the things from the way the beach used to be could be put on display, along with a collection of photographs chronicling the history of the 30A area.

I feel sad when I think of what we had here and how with one fell swoop of a bulldozer or a chain saw, so much of it is gone forever ... to be replaced by one more condo building or another empty strip mall...I am sad when I think how my grandchildren will never know the dunes and the tiny beach side buildings and the people who loved it just the way it was because they were in awe of what nature had given us. IMO it is unfortunate that we did not have enough vision to preserve more of it by integrating it into the plans for "progress." I am glad for what has been preserved in the parks and the forests and by individuals here and there. I just wonder what the unforeseen consequences of this much development will ultimately be...today when I drive around it does not feel as though we have been good stewards of the land.

South Walton does/did have a historical society. Remember the Coastal Heritage Foundation? Unfortunately, virtually all of the folks who started it are now history themselves, and only a few people care anymore. What is left of it lives on, on display at the Coastal Branch Library.