• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
You have Cardinals in your yard and they are looking to nest! They are extremely territorial and are chasing off their own reflection they see in either your mirror or on sunlit glass. The female will be a tan color with an orange beak and the male is bright red. They are beautiful birds to watch.

There isn't much you can do about them other than move your car or cover up the glass/mirrors. I don't think the bird will hurt itself. It will more likely decide to put its nest further from your vehicle to get away from having to defend the position.

you are exactly right about the male cardinal! they are so territorial! we had a beautiful male hanging out on a high stairwell window on the front of our house. The nest was (still is I think) just beside the window. That crazy red bird fought himself on the window for about 2 months. we tried everything as far as covering the window from inside and out (which was difficult considering its location). the attacks slowed but he still went at it at least once per day for weeks and weeks.

Here is my crazy red bird. We eventually got used to hearing him and would be happy he was still around. Haven't heard from him lately so now I'm worried about him.
redbird.jpg

redbird2.jpg

Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Someone actually called in to Car Talk recently with a similar question. Well, you know those guys, they gave a lot of wacky advice :roll: but in the end settled for covering up the mirrors.
I've had cardinals coming around a lot lately. One year they nested really close to the porch. It was a treat to see the babies leave the nest. If I hadn't been lucky enough to be here, I would have missed it - took all of 30 minutes and they were out and gone. :love:

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
You have Cardinals in your yard and they are looking to nest! They are extremely territorial and are chasing off their own reflection they see in either your mirror or on sunlit glass. The female will be a tan color with an orange beak and the male is bright red. They are beautiful birds to watch.

There isn't much you can do about them other than move your car or cover up the glass/mirrors. I don't think the bird will hurt itself. It will more likely decide to put its nest further from your vehicle to get away from having to defend the position.

While we don't think this is a cardinal, it certainly sounds like what is happening. Thanks so much for clearing this up!

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
I have experienced the "Crazy Bird" for years. He/She danced on my car for years. At one point his/her beak would bloody my car. They are known as rufus sided towhees and I just call them Crazy Birds. I built a garage to stop them from pecking on my white car. It worked. Cover you mirrors or put fake snakes from Walmart on your mirrors to deter until you can build a garage.

Thanks for the tips!

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
I have experienced the "Crazy Bird" for years. He/She danced on my car for years. At one point his/her beak would bloody my car. They are known as rufus sided towhees and I just call them Crazy Birds. I built a garage to stop them from pecking on my white car. It worked. Cover you mirrors or put fake snakes from Walmart on your mirrors to deter until you can build a garage.

rufus sided towhees --- looked these up and this could be the bird.

garage isn't an option .... perhaps a car cover is in our future!

jd

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta
rufus sided towhees --- looked these up and this could be the bird.

garage isn't an option .... perhaps a car cover is in our future!

Rufus Sided or Eastern Towhees are robin-sized birds, shiny black backs and wings and head with a bright white breast and rust color on the sides. When looking for food on the ground they will kick leaves and debris backward with both feet. They look like they are doing a funny dance!!! They have a long loud 2-note call and a twittering one that sound like "Drink your Teeeeeaaaaa!!!;-)