• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
We only ever had a hotel license from DBPR and that was to cover all possibilities of rental situations.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Just to clarify, this is what the DBPR has to say in regard to public lodging establishments:

Does Not Need DBPR License

Condominium rented as transient housing by a Condominium Association as defined in Chapter 718.103, F.S. if the Condominium Association does not own the unit.

DOES Need DBPR License

Condominium or timeshare building with 5 or more units owned or operated by a single entity and advertised or rented for nontransient occupancy.

OK, that's totally confusing. So the nontransient units require inspection and licensing but the transient units do not? :dunno:

DBPR told me/us that every rental accommodation in this state had to have the certificate posted, or at least in the unit, somewhere...granted, that was 13 years ago. Perhaps they've had cutbacks. :roll:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
OK, that's totally confusing. So the nontransient units require inspection and licensing but the transient units do not? :dunno:

DBPR told me/us that every rental accommodation in this state had to have the certificate posted, or at least in the unit, somewhere...granted, that was 13 years ago. Perhaps they've had cutbacks. :roll:

Maybe SWGB will step in and explain in everyday English. He has a good grasp of things like this. But the way I read it, I (for example) can rent my condo to a vacationer who stays a week. I do not personally need a license to do this. I'd say most of us fit the bill in that respect.

Here's more on what the DBPR says on the subject:

PUBLIC LODGING ESTABLISHMENTS

A public lodging establishment is any unit, group of units, dwelling, building or group of buildings within a single complex of buildings which is rented to guests or advertised as rented to guests as a transient or non-transient establishment.
A transient establishment is a public lodging establishment rented for less than 30 days or one month for transient occupancy with the intent that the guest's stay will be temporary. Examples of transient public lodging are hotels, motels, bed and breakfast inns, roominghouses, vacation condominiums, vacation houses, and apartments.
A non-transient establishment is a public lodging establishment rented for at least 30 days or one month for nontransient occupancy with the intent that the residence will be the guest's sole residence. Examples of non-transient public lodging establishments are apartments or roominghouses with more than four units.
These items are offered as examples of lodging that need a DBPR license and lodging that does not need a DBPR license. The list is not all inclusive. If you have specific questions, please contact the department at 850.487.1395 or review the rules for the business type at www.myfloridalicense.com. You should also check with your county or city to learn whether or not a local business tax receipt is required. Please visit our Unlicensed Activity page to learn more about how you can help us combat Unlicensed Activity.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Shallowsnole, I'm pretty sure the license in each unit is no longer an issue. I do remember that we had an additional license for one complex when we rented it and ran the COA. Oddly I don't think there's any kind of inspection process or anything else. We simply got the new license every year and posted it. Never saw an inspector of any kind. That said I'm sure it does give the general public a way of complaining to the DBPR, but I've never seen or heard of a complaint through them.

PrickettProperties

Beach Comber
Mar 28, 2010
Prickett Properties LLC ~ A boutique management company

Would love to tell you about our personalized property management services offered in this area! Our commissions are very reasonable and our results are proven! I will be glad to give you names of our current clientele.

Prickett Properties LLC
Orange Beach Vacation Rentals|Fort Morgan/Gulf Shores Al Condos & Beach Houses
Seagrove & Seaside Florida Vacation Rentals - Bungalow at Seagrove & seaside Fl condo
Seacrest Florida Vacation Rentals - condos and beach houses|Monterey, Capistrano, Cottages at camp creek

Hi-

I am new to this forum. We are looking to buy a house in the area and renting it out. However, we live out of town.

We are debating whether to use a property management company to oversee the daily/weekly maintenance. I can see the reason to use one but they all charge alot!

I was curious if anyone manages their property themselves? Is this possible if you live out of the area? Do you hire a good cleaning service and leave the keys in a lockbox? What about last minute emergency repairs? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you for your time!