• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachymom

Beach Comber
Dec 2, 2007
Ohio
We are in the early stages of a move to Florida. We have 4 children and I have lived in Ohio my whole life (husband-since a teen) and we are SO done. We also have health issues that warm weather and warm sea water can only help. Not to mention my mental state...You don't want to see me in the middle of February...hehehe...We will know the time frame in the next few weeks as my husband plans this with his company.

We vacation on 30A every summer, (Blue Mountain, Seaside, Seagrove)so of course I'm pulling for this area since it feels like home already. And while researching schools in FL (eww!) I found that Destin and Santa Rosa are at the top of the state. Yay! We do not want to buy a home prematurely, so we want to rent a home for a couple of years, then buy a home in the same school district.

I guess my question is this...Will we be able to find a long-term rental within the school system? We are looking for a 4 bedroom/maybe 3bdrm that allows 2 amazing dogs, in a very family friendly neighborhood. I would LOVE to rent, then buy a home within the same neighborhood later as long as the neighborhood fits our needs. I'm not asking for much, am I? LOL!

Any insight is very much appreciated! Thanks

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
If you don't have to live right on 30-A, there are actually a good number of single family homes for long term rental at a relatively reasonable price. Lots of military folks buy when they move down here and then decide to hold and rent out the house when they PCS with the intention of coming back to the area when they retire.

First, congratulations on your decision to move to Florida. You are doing what many of us can only dream of.

If I were moving to Florida and were interested in living along 30-A, I think one of the best neighborhoods in the area is Cassine Village in Seagrove Beach. For me, it has the best of everything you would ask for -- quiet, family-friendly neighborhood; beautiful but reasonable homes; two neighborhood pools; on the north side of 30-A but easy access to the beach; great schools; and within walking/riding distance to everything great about the area.

I'm pretty sure you could find a long-term rental in the neighborhood. There are also some homes for sale. All of the realtors that post on the SoWal Beaches Forum are familiar with the neighborhood and can comment further. It is worth a look...

Good luck!

dbcooper

Beach Comber
Jan 11, 2008
Cassine Village is nice. Definitely avoid rental homes next door if you have 4 small children. There are several threads on here regarding full time resident neighborhoods..give it a search.

beachymom

Beach Comber
Dec 2, 2007
Ohio
Thanks, everyone! I will look into Cassine Village and the realty company. I have much more reseach to do and I'm so glad I can find help with you all on this board. We have found so many great places to eat and play due to this board..It makes things so much easier and I appreciate you!

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
Thanks, everyone! I will look into Cassine Village and the realty company. I have much more research to do and I'm so glad I can find help with you all on this board. We have found so many great places to eat and play due to this board..It makes things so much easier and I appreciate you!

also try grove by the sea - just to the east of the old wheelhouse on n. andalusia. VERY quiet neighborhood, with a combination of full time residents, part time residents, and vacation rentals. 2 community pools and play area. there have been longterm rentals in hte past, and may be some now. also houses for sale. great location!