• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

happyi

Beach Comber
Nov 28, 2009
Mirama Beach
The glittering light seen in seawater at night can be attributed to bioluminescence, a handy evolutionary phenomenon that gives certain land and sea creatures the ability to glow in the dark

Sarah Moss

Beach Lover
Apr 5, 2006
Black Creek
Did anyone else see the beautiful glowing waves last nite? What a site! Have any ideas as to what causes it?

How special! Please share what beach you were at. We haven't seen this in years and would love to see it....

PS. It can also occur in the dune lakes. You are very lucky to have witnessed it!

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Some people saw it near Eastern Lake, a couple days ago... I've seen it in the Inlet and in Eastern Lake proper, but it's been awhile. I've seen mullet jetting thru the inlet on a moonless night...

sisters4

Beach Lover
Jul 19, 2005
Jackie: What time were you out? It sounds just beautiful. I am coming in a few weeks and am jealous of all of you down there. Does it happen often?

jackie

Beach Lover
Feb 2, 2006
chicago burb
Jackie: What time were you out? It sounds just beautiful. I am coming in a few weeks and am jealous of all of you down there. Does it happen often?

We were out last nite at around 11, but it is happening again tonite. We were out around 9:30 tonite and it is here again. Our beach is about 3 bloicks east of gulf place. it's just beautiful and we are so happy to be here and see it.

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
photo by August Bach

This is a local friend, photographer, artist, genius who regularly captures the spectacular and the minute...i hope he doesn't mind me posting this...he's a SoWaller too!

you are listening to august radio self portrait at grayton beach with bio luminescent materal, stars.

www.augustbach.com
archives

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just a little further...

i was preparing to send out my image last night when i decided to take the camera and tripod down to the beach to see if i could find something better to send then what i had prepared for today.

what i found when i arrived was a rare occurrence of bioluminescent material rolling into the beaches as far as the eye could see. there aren't really good words to describe
how beautiful this event is. the line in the image is where the water breaks at the second sand bar. as the water breaks the bioluminescent creatures glow
and streak across the waves like soft lightning. . i have never seen it this pronounced or so bright. this image was actually taken when it was subsiding. when i first arrived...it was simply breathtaking.
all of the waves were glowing.

i had to walk about mile down the beach to get to a spot where there weren't any lights from beach homes behind me blowing out the images.
thankfully watercolor has much less light pollution than seaside and i was able to start shooting and figuring it out there as i made my way to grayton state park where it was pitch dark.

i love events like these. just when i am resigned to send the damned picture of the dog with the tongue stuck out because that was the most interesting thing that i saw that day,
i go a little further and i find myself surrounded by this.

to the eye the light appears an emeral green. but i elected to keep it straight out of the camera rather than fussing with it.

wish you could have been there to see it.

simply magical.

and the stars...

how i had missed the stars.

Last edited:

JEANNE

Beach Comber
:yikes: WOW WEE THAT IS AWSOME!!! FANTASTIC.
This is a local friend, photographer, artist, genius who regularly captures the spectacular and the minute...i hope he doesn't mind me posting this...he's a SoWaller too!

you are listening to august radio self portrait at grayton beach with bio luminescent materal, stars.

August Bach - Creative.
archives

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just a little further...

i was preparing to send out my image last night when i decided to take the camera and tripod down to the beach to see if i could find something better to send then what i had prepared for today.

what i found when i arrived was a rare occurrence of bioluminescent material rolling into the beaches as far as the eye could see. there aren't really good words to describe
how beautiful this event is. the line in the image is where the water breaks at the second sand bar. as the water breaks the bioluminescent creatures glow
and streak across the waves like soft lightning. . i have never seen it this pronounced or so bright. this image was actually taken when it was subsiding. when i first arrived...it was simply breathtaking.
all of the waves were glowing.

i had to walk about mile down the beach to get to a spot where there weren't any lights from beach homes behind me blowing out the images.
thankfully watercolor has much less light pollution than seaside and i was able to start shooting and figuring it out there as i made my way to grayton state park where it was pitch dark.

i love events like these. just when i am resigned to send the damned picture of the dog with the tongue stuck out because that was the most interesting thing that i saw that day,
i go a little further and i find myself surrounded by this.

to the eye the light appears an emeral green. but i elected to keep it straight out of the camera rather than fussing with it.

wish you could have been there to see it.

simply magical.

and the stars...

how i had missed the stars.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Wow Hop - the photo is remarkable!!!! I too, witnessed what I always called phosphorescence - I'd seen it once on a sailing trip years ago. My husband and I were down at Blue Mtn night before last and saw it just as it is in your photo. IT was MAGICAL!!!!

Thanks Jackie for starting the thread. I came on this morning to do just that! :D

G