• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
GEO, I can appreciate that Ed Walline to Red Bar is probably a bit far for a bare bones, barely compliant LSV. I don't mind a bit of excitement myself, I may give it a run, if I had one that went at least 30MPH... but that's me. Others like yourself might want a kick ass purpose built $15,000 LSV to make that run. Fair enough though - you make your point, and appreciate your response to my question about how 30A actually functions, despite your prefernce that folks get around and run errands with full size vehicles.

I am kicking myself for even adding to this time wasting, shaking my head at every one of your posts, thread. By State Statute, an LSV cannot go faster than 25 mph, so it doesn't matter how much you spend on it; the very best , most expensive LSV will still only travel at 25 mph. And even on a 35 mph road that is still 10 mph slower than it should be. I don't care how you look at it, that is a bad combination.

:cry: I am sad because of the additional posts that this post will encourage, please forgive me, I couldn't help myself.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
I am kicking myself for even adding to this time wasting, shaking my head at every one of your posts, thread. By State Statute, an LSV cannot go faster than 25 mph, so it doesn't matter how much you spend on it; the very best , most expensive LSV will still only travel at 25 mph. And even on a 35 mph road that is still 10 mph slower than it should be. I don't care how you look at it, that is a bad combination.

:cry: I am sad because of the additional posts that this post will encourage, please forgive me, I couldn't help myself.

God forbid a discussion about expanding usage of Electric Vehicles, and the nature or future of South Walton's urban planning, and communityhood warrant a long discussion of facts and arguments - that might infuriate the majority who prefer the tyrany of the majority and the silencing of discourse.

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
I don't have an issue sharing the road with LSV's for 30-A. 30-A will eventually be 35mph anyways as development is going to happen.

I see folks speeding over 60mph at those 45mph junctions. It's very dangerous.

If someone wants to spend their money on one of these things let them do it. My understanding is they have to have the same licenses and insurance as regular vehicles.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
FTLOC!

It isn't that we dislike LSV's on principle.

It isn't that we hate the environment.

It isn't that we think everyone on 30-A/in Sowal should drive a massive gas guzzling SUV with only one person in it everywhere they go.

It is that we looked at your suggestion of LSV's, analyzed the pros and cons of having them on 30-A, and found they were NOT a good fit or solution for a variety of reasons - safety being foremost.

Which is why we then suggested OTHER small, fuel efficient, green, easy to park, and inexpensive vehicles that have seatbelts, doors, and have to meet crash test standards instead!

And also suggested adding public transportation AND encouraging people to carpool, walk, and bike more.

Give it up already!

North Lake

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
Come on out this Saturday, March 27 and try public transportation on 30A. Free trolleys running from 10-4 making regular stops at 26 or so marked bus stops at convenient locations along the length of 30A. The Friends of Scenic 30A are celebrating the state's Scenic Highway Day. Public reception at the District 5 Commissioner's office at 70 Logan Lane in Grayton on Friday evening from 6 to 8; then activities along 30A all day on Saturday. Walk, Bike, or ride the Bus and enjoy Scenic 30A all day on Saturday. As Bill Freeze said to the County Commissioners tonight, "be jolly and ride the trolley." Incidentally, the four buses from Bay Town Trolley in Panama City that will be running are being underwritten by developments along 30A for this event - no taxpayer funds involved. This will be a good trial run for public transportation along 30A...with an adequate number of buses and regular route and schedule. If you like the notion of public transportation on 30A, come on out and support this event.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
FTLOC!

It isn't that we think everyone on 30-A/in Sowal should drive a massive gas guzzling SUV with only one person in it everywhere they go.

It is that we looked at your suggestion of LSV's, analyzed the pros and cons of having them on 30-A, and found they were NOT a good fit or solution for a variety of reasons - safety being foremost.

Which is why we then suggested OTHER small, fuel efficient, green, easy to park, and inexpensive vehicles that have seatbelts, doors, and have to meet crash test standards instead!

And also suggested adding public transportation AND encouraging people to carpool, walk, and bike more.

Give it up already!

Scooterbug, are you pissed that others are coming out in support of LSVs now? Relax, you're still probably barely in the majority on this, at least among the locals who have to put up with tourists all year.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
FTLOC!

Give it up already!

Scooterbug, are you pissed that others are coming out in support of LSVs now? Relax, you're still probably barely in the majority on this, at least among the locals who have to put up with tourists all year.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Come on out this Saturday, March 27 and try public transportation on 30A. Free trolleys running from 10-4 making regular stops at 26 or so marked bus stops at convenient locations along the length of 30A. The Friends of Scenic 30A are celebrating the state's Scenic Highway Day. Public reception at the District 5 Commissioner's office at 70 Logan Lane in Grayton on Friday evening from 6 to 8; then activities along 30A all day on Saturday. Walk, Bike, or ride the Bus and enjoy Scenic 30A all day on Saturday. As Bill Freeze said to the County Commissioners tonight, "be jolly and ride the trolley." Incidentally, the four buses from Bay Town Trolley in Panama City that will be running are being underwritten by developments along 30A for this event - no taxpayer funds involved. This will be a good trial run for public transportation along 30A...with an adequate number of buses and regular route and schedule. If you like the notion of public transportation on 30A, come on out and support this event.

Alan Gray of the West Florida Regional Planning Council said last week that part of the reason for bringing the trolleys onto 30A for Scenic Highway Day is to interest Walton County residents in becoming trolley riders. There is trolley service in Bay County and Okaloosa County, and they would like to bring the same to Walton County. That way the service could be linked through the three counties, taking many cars off the roadways.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
FTLOC!

"but it's not that we dislike [jews or other persecuted groups], we've weighed the evidence and in 'our' came down against them that's all"

It isn't that we hate the environment. sure, its just that you're decinding against it, in this case on convenience and safety issues, that have been dealt with an decided the other way in most other states in the Union, and supported by every credible environmental group and progressive think tank in the country.

It isn't that we think everyone on 30-A/in Sowal should drive a massive gas guzzling SUV with only one person in it everywhere they go. Even though limiting the usability of an LSV, directly encourages the samn exacting f-king thing.

Which is why we then suggested OTHER small, fuel efficient, green, easy to park, and inexpensive vehicles that have seatbelts, doors, and have to meet crash test standards instead! Sure, you're suggesting the a pie in the sky solution, and until then, you'll discourage the next logical step in that direction, that's largely available right now I'm suggesting public transportation and LSVs - seems like some agree with me, hope that doesn't ruffle your feathers any more than it already has.

And also suggested adding public transportation AND encouraging people to carpool, walk, and bike more. I'm encouraging people to stop beating their wives, stop masturbating in public, carpooling, quit smoking, stop driving any vehicle in an unsafe manner, stop driving the suburban on valium to the Watercolor Publix.

Give it up already!
Are you going to call me a fat white guy next?

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
I disagree about LSV's not being safe. Only licensed drivers are allowed to drive them.
The Florida restrictions on LSV's are the tighest in the Country. The 25 mph limit is required because it's been extensively tested to be safe. Motorcycles are much more dangerous if safety is your concern. As i said before I'm much more worried about standard vehicles driving way over the speed limit.

As the 45mph zones develop it will be reduced to 35mph so it's really a moot issue. I can see why LSV owners would want legal access to all of 30-A sooner rather than later. It's going to happen anyways unless State law is revised.

Those afraid of change coming to 30-A should be more concerned about the Chain restaurants coming to 98. If the airport is a big success change will happen even quicker. It seems futile to fight the inevitable. Try to start dealing with it. You have to pick and choose your battles.