• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
I disagree about LSV's not being safe. Only licensed drivers are allowed to drive them.
The Florida restrictions on LSV's are the tighest in the Country. The 25 mph limit is required because it's been extensively tested to be safe. Motorcycles are much more dangerous if safety is your concern. As i said before I'm much more worried about standard vehicles driving way over the speed limit.

As the 45mph zones develop it will be reduced to 35mph so it's really a moot issue. I can see why LSV owners would want legal access to all of 30-A sooner rather than later. It's going to happen anyways unless State law is revised.

Those afraid of change coming to 30-A should be more concerned about the Chain restaurants coming to 98. If the airport is a big success change will happen even quicker. It seems futile to fight the inevitable. Try to start dealing with it. You have to pick and choose your battles.

Ok, as soon as Grayton State Park gets developed I will accept changing the speed limit from 45 to 35. Until that happens ride your bike on the multi-use path.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Even if the 30A speed limit is lowered to 35, the max allowable speed of LSV's is 25. So by Robertsondavies' logic, the speed limit of 30A will effectively be 25mph for it's entire length. So, will you next advocate pulloff's be installed so traffic can get by the golfcarts that can't even hit the new lower speed limit?

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
I believe LSV's can only travel on stretches of roads with a posted 35mph or less. I would hope they would install more pull offs. You do realize 35mph is the Speed Limit. 36 mph is illegal but 25 mph isn't

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
I believe LSV's can only travel on stretches of roads with a posted 35mph or less. I would hope they would install more pull offs. You do realize 35mph is the Speed Limit. 36 mph is illegal but 25 mph isn't

Yes, i understand what limit means. There are high and low limits. Traveling the length of 30a at 25mph may not be entirely safe.

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
25MPH falls within the legal speed of a 35MPH posted zone.

I don't think any speed is entirely safe.

nr light

Beach Comber
Mar 4, 2010
Destin, FL
I disagree about LSV's not being safe. Only licensed drivers are allowed to drive them.
The Florida restrictions on LSV's are the tighest in the Country. The 25 mph limit is required because it's been extensively tested to be safe. Motorcycles are much more dangerous if safety is your concern. As i said before I'm much more worried about standard vehicles driving way over the speed limit.

As the 45mph zones develop it will be reduced to 35mph so it's really a moot issue. I can see why LSV owners would want legal access to all of 30-A sooner rather than later. It's going to happen anyways unless State law is revised.

Those afraid of change coming to 30-A should be more concerned about the Chain restaurants coming to 98. If the airport is a big success change will happen even quicker. It seems futile to fight the inevitable. Try to start dealing with it. You have to pick and choose your battles.

Glad you're in this conversation Andrew -

Some people seem to think that the fact that LSVs don't have doors it must be more unsafe than say......a motorcycle? A JEEP? It seems to me that people are grasping at air with the "safety" argument. There's no helmet law in florida either, what about that? Here's the bottom line, if youre so concerned with the safety of the drivers and passengers in these vehicles DON'T RUN THEM DOWN. its not DOORS that dictate how safe a vehicle is. Speed. Speed at impact. Speed of other vehicles.
I'm not saying that all people are safe drivers - not saying all LSV drivers are safe drivers...I am saying, however, is that if you want each other safe, drive safely NO MATTER THE VEHICLE.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Even if the 30A speed limit is lowered to 35, the max allowable speed of LSV's is 25. So by Robertsondavies' logic, the speed limit of 30A will effectively be 25mph for it's entire length. So, will you next advocate pulloff's be installed so traffic can get by the golfcarts that can't even hit the new lower speed limit?

Whats wrong with 3 miles of lower speed limits on 30As? I thought y'all said it was all about safety... errr was that convenience, i can't remember? Lower the whole damn thing to 25MPH I say, because I'm all about safety.

Like the NR Light said here, safety is all related to SPEED and Mass at impact basically. From an insurance companies perspective - If there werent' so many flipping 6000 lb (tax deduction elligible) SUV's in South Walton, the rates to drive an LSV in South Walton would be even lower then the low rates already given to these unbelievably safe vehicles. The best part about the LSV, is that, by weighing a fraction of the regular SUV or Car, and by going 30% slower, they're safe as all hell for everyone else in the community. Oh, but the opponents know more than insurance companies on safety and the Sierra club on the Environment... at least if it means they'll have to go a little slower for 3 miles of 30A a few times for someone other than those bikers that NEVER pull over.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
So you will single hand-idly get rid of the SUV's also? Will you keep the second home owner, or tourist from out of state, off of 30A if their car isn't agreeable to you. Sure, LSV's are safe, if they're all that's on the road, and the bikers. But your utopia can never exist. Eventually, one will get plowed by the unprepared driver of the 6000lb vehicle, and we'll get to revisit this side of the debate, again. I hope it's no one I know.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
So you will single hand-idly get rid of the SUV's also? Will you keep the second home owner, or tourist from out of state, off of 30A if their car isn't agreeable to you. Sure, LSV's are safe, if they're all that's on the road, and the bikers. But your utopia can never exist. Eventually, one will get plowed by the unprepared driver of the 6000lb vehicle, and we'll get to revisit this side of the debate, again. I hope it's no one I know.

"But your utopia can never exist" - ah, but can't we try.

"sure, LSV's are safe" - we're progressing here, this is good.

"Eventually, one will get plowed... " True, you're right on the money. Eventually, also a Tahoe will hit a Biker, as will a pedestrian, but I don't plan on outlawing bikers or pedestrians, I hope they are no one I know either of course"

Should Florida Outlaw convertibles ? They're ACTUALLY less safe, instead of more safe than an LSV, ask an Insurance adjuster. I say keep them.

AndrewG

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2010
This isn't about banning vehicles. In fact it's the exact opposite. We want all vehicles to have access.

So John since larger vehicles are much deadlier because they cause more damage and destruction when involved in any accident, and you're focused on safety... Seems the larger vehicles are the problem.

I want to buy an LSV now.