• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
101. Don't ask "How is everything?" if the diners haven't taken a bite yet.

101a. Don't wait too long to ask "How is everything?" in case something is wrong with the order/food.

101b. Also don't say "Is everything great?" in the situations above. There are not many restaurants where everything. is. great.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think most of these are GREAT and should be posted in restaurants - though a couple I think can be broken for regular customers when the server has a realtionship with them.

#23 - Steaming the label off a wine they like seems excessive and a PITA - IMO writing down the info for them is sufficient.

#5 is one of my pet peeves - I can understand if I am doing casual dining outside on an uneven surface, but a wobbly table indoors just seems careless and sloppy.

#17 - I know this is correct, but don't feel others should have to have dirty plates in front of them just because I take forever to eat.

Jychf

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2008
SRB
I do agree strongly with most of these but I'm a little confused as to why a server is to not mention their name to the guest. After 25 years in the business this is the first time I've ever heard that, it is in fact a requirement at most restaurants....strange.:dunno:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I do agree strongly with most of these but I'm a little confused as to why a server is to not mention their name to the guest. After 25 years in the business this is the first time I've ever heard that, it is in fact a requirement at most restaurants....strange.:dunno:

Most of those come from fine dining, Northern, and European dining standards. Here in the south it doesn't matter how fancy a restaurant is I want to know my waiters name so I know what I should call them. This also cuts down on the ever rude habit of a patron yelling out ma'am, hey you, dude, or any number of other idiotic things I've heard. Of course snapping thy fingers should result in immediate banning from dining out.

sbartoldus

Beach Fanatic
May 19, 2007
Here
www.thirdeyeimages.net
Most of those come from fine dining, Northern, and European dining standards. Here in the south it doesn't matter how fancy a restaurant is I want to know my waiters name so I know what I should call them. This also cuts down on the ever rude habit of a patron yelling out ma'am, hey you, dude, or any number of other idiotic things I've heard. Of course snapping thy fingers should result in immediate banning from dining out.

Totally agree. Maybe there should be a list of 100 things that restaurant guests should never do.

HelenM

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2008

I am from the North, and every restaurant I worked in had the staff introduce themselves to their guests.

I agree with most of the rules (except for the name one), but just wanted to point out that there are some times when it is necessary to reach across one guest in order to serve another...sitting at a booth comes to mind.

I am surprised that they don't have the serve on the left, remove on the right rule.

Drives me crazy too. The mnenomic is RR, "remove from the right." So the lemma to this theroem is that one does SL, "serve to the left."

Another thing that bugs me is passing. One always is supposed to pass counterclockwise ("to the right") at a table.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Was it that they are not supposed to "announce" their name, or that they aren't supposed to tell you their name? :dunno: