• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
That reminds me of an awesome little restaurant that used to be in Grayton called The Corner Cafe...they cooked all their fish on a small grill behind the restaurant and were definitely no frills. My parents had coffee after their meal and Mom asked for some plain milk and had a half-gallon container just plunked down in front of her. Like I said, it was a no frills place, but the food was great!
That story doesnt surprise me at all. I worked there when it was still a small 1 story building (pre-Opal) and the sign by the door that said hours were dependent on surf conditions was really true. I have even seen them make people shuck their own oysters and get their own beer if they were really busy. An awesome bunch of guys and still one of the most enjoyable jobs I have ever had.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
We LOVED going in there! We could bring babies in diapers, barefoot, all of us sandy and salty from a day on the beach, wet bathing suits and all, and that was fine (not like these days where it's a dadgum fashion show just to walk out the front door--I stay home a lot).

The babies would race up and down the center aisle, having a ball. No big deal, customers and waiters alike just watched out for them, and seemed glad we were there. Seems like there were always a few mellow dogs around as well. Sometimes one of the guys would take a break from serving and sit at our table to visit a while. They had off-season down-home specials too, some weeknight or other -- like collards and peas, pork chops, corn bread...they filled the place up on those nights with locals, thrilled to have a place to gather and eat everyday food convivially, without having to cook it themselves!

kit75

Beach Lover
Sep 8, 2009
DeFuniak Springs
straw paper

People that take their straw wraper, roll it up, then take aim at something or someone. This should only be done at a shooting gallery. And some poor soul has to sweep up all the mess.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
People that take their straw wraper, roll it up, then take aim at something or someone. This should only be done at a shooting gallery. And some poor soul has to sweep up all the mess.

Yes, but straw paper worms are approved.[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX5NZAY6_BQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Squirmy[/nomedia]

Hubby never uses straws -- he thinks they're not manly. Also he and our daughter have an aversion to wet paper products, i.e., the wrappers in which the straws are contained. They also cannot stand the paper straws at Ted's Montana Grill.

On the other hand, I love straws. And I like to make patterns with the straw wrappers. But I would never throw the wrappers on the floor.

I B OTAY with wait staff?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I once hung around with a guy who refused to use straws too. Isn't that crazy? They would rather put their lips on a glass that god only knows how many other people's lips have been on, fingers have touched, and possibly not cleaned very well than have it be said that they sucked on something. :blink:

This same guy also once asked me to stop smelling the silverware at the old truck stop in DeFuniak.

Maybe smelling the silverware is something diners shouldn't do, but I felt it was necessary....:blush:

I once hung around with a guy who refused to use straws too. Isn't that crazy? They would rather put their lips on a glass that god only knows how many other people's lips have been on, fingers have touched, and possibly not cleaned very well than have it be said that they sucked on something. :blink:

This same guy also once asked me to stop smelling the silverware at the old truck stop in DeFuniak.

Maybe smelling the silverware is something diners shouldn't do, but I felt it was necessary....:blush:
:rotfl:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

I love to do this, but then I throw the wrapper away. :D

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Just show the straw-phobes this one:

b51794785105670f6a26a94a8e367061.jpg