• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Second Spring Break Balcony Accident

A spring break visitor from Arizona was hospitalized Sunday when a railing on a second floor balcony gave way and he fell just under 15 feet to a pavement below. Robert K. Komadina of Phoenix, Ariz., 20, suffered a laceration on the back of his head and was complaining of back and neck pain.
Komadina was on the balcony of a rental house at 5116 Beach Drive in Panama City Beach Sunday afternoon. He was leaning back while talking with a relative when an eight-foot long section of the rail broke out and he fell through to the concrete area below.
No foul-play was suspected. Robert Komida was taken to Bay Medical Center and was reported to be in good condition.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Is this the first time the railing actually caused the issue - all the stories I hear are of idiots climbing on top of them and then either falling or jumping!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Is this the first time the railing actually caused the issue - all the stories I hear are of idiots climbing on top of them and then either falling or jumping!

Ironically it's a private home and not a condo or hotel.

Condo's and hotels are required by state law to have the balcony rails inspected every 5 years and make appropriate repairs.

It's been at least 4, with two deaths. There was also a shooting 2 weeks ago in PCB. :eek:
So sad.

I warned my students about balconies before their spring break. I told them that I love them (well, most of them), and want them to return from spring break healthy and with no arrests on their records. I treat them like I'm their surrogate Mom. That's the way I roll.