• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Yesterday around 6-6:30 there were 3 foxes out sniffing around and crouching down behind a bush and fence in Sea Dunes in Dune Allen. One was a beautiful red the other two smaller ones were gray-ish brown. The red one saw me and moved into a darker area then crouched real low keeping it's eye on me.

This evening I saw one of the smaller ones about 4 houses down, They go right into the front yards of the houses. There are quite a few cats in our neighborhood....so watch your pets everyone. My cats are kept in at night....but I've also seen raccoons out during the day twice in the past three weeks. One sat up and put it's hands together like it was begging....or praying AND I had my dog with me. The raccoon was not scared one bit.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I don't think there is much need for worry with foxes. They eat mainly rats and mice, eggs and such. They are also scavengers. I would worry more about them going in garbage pails and making a mess, like raccoons do. A cat would be a difficult catch and not likely to even be sought by a fox. They'd probably go for berries before a cat.

I have a red fox frequent my yard and I have a cat. Relax and enjoy. They are beautiful animals, although I am not fond of the yelping at 2 am. At least I know he is out there flourishing and eating nasty rodents that carry disease.

I don't think there is much need for worry with foxes. They eat mainly rats and mice, eggs and such. They are also scavengers. I would worry more about them going in garbage pails and making a mess, like raccoons do. A cat would be a difficult catch and not likely to even be sought by a fox. They'd probably go for berries before a cat.

I have a red fox frequent my yard and I have a cat. Relax and enjoy. They are beautiful animals, although I am not fond of the yelping at 2 am. At least I know he is out there flourishing and eating nasty rodents that carry disease.
Grazie.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
We usually leave the sunroom door open so that Pepper can go in and out of the fenced-in pool area at will. Do you think that's safe, or should we accompany her every time she goes out?

Large & medium dogs are in no danger from being eaten by foxes.

Rat dogs might be, as foxes eat mice/rats/rabbits, but not Pepper or other dogs that size.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I did some research on foxes and they don't go after most cats or dogs, but really small cats and dogs are fair game for them, especially if they have not eaten and are having a hard time finding food. But I don't think that is the case here, with all the small rodents available.

This beautiful fox looked like a mom with two children.

HelenM

Beach Lover
Aug 21, 2008
I did some research on foxes and they don't go after most cats or dogs, but really small cats and dogs are fair game for them, especially if they have not eaten and are having a hard time finding food. But I don't think that is the case here, with all the small rodents available.

This beautiful fox looked like a mom with two children.

Foxes are quite beautiful, and usually rather skittish around people. I think that small cats & dogs are more at risk from an owl or some of the other large birds of prey that we have in our area.

We have a raccoon who has been visiting our yard lately. He and one of our cats have gotten nose to nose, but not in an aggressive way. I haven't managed to get a picture of it, since he runs away as soon as I turn on the light. And, no, I'm not really comfortable with having "Rackity" making friends with the cats.