• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
As these things so often go in Tallahassee, the House version of SB6 passed in the middle of the night last night.

I was surprised not to see anything on SB6 on the board, because this wildly unpopular bill was supported for our two Yes Men -- Sen. Don Gaetz and Rep. Marti Coley both voted yes.

For background on the bill, the fabulous Sen. Dave Aronberg (candidate for AG) puts it best --

Dear Friends,

A majority of the Florida House of Representatives just joined the Senate in passing Senate Bill 6, which poses the greatest threat to public education that I have seen in my 8 years in the legislature.

This legislation is not about reform. It is about punishment of teachers. It is based on the arrogant view that Tallahassee bureaucrats and politicians are better suited to guide a child's education than their teachers, principals and parents.

I am calling upon the Governor to veto this bad billthat will send good teachers packing and will threaten our children, our schools and our businesses.

Join me in urging a veto by e-mailing Governor Crist at Charlie.Crist@MyFlorida.com or by calling (850) 488-7146.

Sincerely,

Dave

Ditto that last sentence. Call Gov. Crist!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
This is the most horrible bill for education that I have ever seen...and I have been associated with the Fl. legislature since 1980, part of that time working for the Commissioner of Education.

For every parent who has a child in school; every person who has a teacher inthe family; every grandparent who is concerned about their child's education -- call the Governor; write the Governor; write to the local delegation, and make your wishes known.

The fact that they passed it in the middle of the night, after hundreds of parents had spoken against the bill in the committee meetings, tells all.

This legislature is a disaster for the citizens of Florida.

This bill is horrible for our children and teachers!

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Forgive me for being out of touch, but could someone give me the Cliff Notes on this bill?

here you go:

Session :Bills : : flsenate.gov

Not the Cliff Notes version, Susan, but I think the entire product is worth reading. Look particularly for the new test to determine whether or not teachers are retained; and the repeal of any incentive for teachers to gain Master Teacher certification or get higher degrees. There will be little or no continuity, as teachers will not have contacts, except for one school year at the time....and on, and on.
I would not be surprised to learn that somewhere in this mumbo-jumbo language of the legislature, there is a "prize" for one of the test companies! I say this, based on extensive experience, working with the bill's sponsor....

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Interesting that Marti Coley voted for the bill, wasn't she employed as a teacher prior to her election? Leads me to believe she's lost touch with her constituents, former colleagues, and reality.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Interesting that Marti Coley voted for the bill, wasn't she employed as a teacher prior to her election? Leads me to believe she's lost touch with her constituents, former colleagues, and reality.

See Robert's post somewhere else on this board...

Also, hard to believe that Don Gaetz, a former school superintendent, actually voted for this--and signed on to it, I think, as well. I heard part of the debate in the Senate--it is unbelievable that he had ever been part of the school system. And, I always thought he was a good superintendent for Okaloosa County. Interesting that his son, Matt, who just won the Republican primary, says he would not vote for SB 6.

Gaetz sr., also won't take a stand against drilling off our shore--unless the military tells him to...according to his assistant. He has a real way of standing up for his community too.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think some major changes are needed in our school systems.

The only issue I have with this is that teacher pay/employment is based on student performance on these tests.

And teachers complaining it is "unfair" because they can't control all of the other factors in student's lives really rubs me the wrong way. That is nothing new and you get the kids for a significant portion of their awake hours.

I do think teachers need more authority and disciplinary control in the schools and that we must make sure the kids are fed and have the necessary supplies, but beyond that, it's time for the teachers to stop whining and step up.

I know it's not an easy job, and this may not be the right solution, but when you aren't getting results, changes happen.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I think some major changes are needed in our school systems.

The only issue I have with this is that teacher pay/employment is based on student performance on these tests.

And teachers complaining it is "unfair" because they can't control all of the other factors in student's lives really rubs me the wrong way. That is nothing new and you get the kids for a significant portion of their awake hours.

I do think teachers need more authority and disciplinary control in the schools and that we must make sure the kids are fed and have the necessary supplies, but beyond that, it's time for the teachers to stop whining and step up.

I know it's not an easy job, and this may not be the right solution, but when you aren't getting results, changes happen.

Could you remind us which Florida schools you attended and the schools that your children attend?