• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Tambabay.com has a good Q&A article on the bill -

Q & A on Florida's Senate Bill 6 - St. Petersburg Times

and the operative part is this:

"ady wrote:

A major point of contention not addressed in this article is the 900 million for consultants. Transferring scarce education $$ to the private sector is another reason to oppose this bill. Like the FCAT, these new tests will just confirm what the teachers already know about their students. Don't let the school budget be raided by greedy testing companies!"

Would be very interesting to see which Texas-based Testing Company with strong ties to Florida, contributed the most to Thrasher and Gaetz and all the rest...

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
a major point of contention not addressed in this article is the 900 million for consultants. Transferring scarce education $$ to the private sector is another reason to oppose this bill. Like the fcat, these new tests will just confirm what the teachers already know about their students. Don't let the school budget be raided by greedy testing companies!"

would be very interesting to see which texas-based testing company with strong ties to florida, contributed the most to thrasher and gaetz and all the rest...

sb 6 sets aside 5 percent of federal, state and local florida eduaction finance program funds beginning in 2011 (roughly $900 million) to implement the new education initiatives, including end-of-course exams and the new performance pay system. Starting in 2014 that money would then be used to actually pay teachers (remember, that's when linking pay increases to student performance would start).

In the end, it goes to the teachers. There's nothing in this bill indicating 900 million will go to a testing company in texas.

Last edited:

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
So, just because that is questionable, we should go ahead and accept this? .I guess I would just like to see as many people upset about education as are upset about health care...

Hey, your political party is the one that constantly pushes for centralized control over everything. All of the sudden you're against this? Heck, I should be against it for this reason, and you should be for it! :lol:

Last edited:

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
After you said it was incorrect and then proceeded to do nothing but blast Democrats and rail against the politicizing of a political issue (Republicans supported the bill and Democrats did not feel free to look at the voting record, and yes I'm aware that like most things there are a few cross party line votes) could you point out where the misstatement was?

P.S. I'm sorry that the Aricept is apparently no longer working. I hope you and your Doctors are able to find an alternative treatment.

Please give me the dates and times where the legislature has passed legislation in the middle of the night creating the "As these things so often go in Tallahassee" statement.

PS - My health is fine for a person my age thank you, but once again it is really none of your business. With Obamacare on the way I am sure I will have no problem finding doctors when I need one. Problem is they might say at my age I am not worth the cost any longer. Thats fine though - I can afford to pay my own way.

Last edited:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I guess we could make everyone by an education "policy" rather they wanted to or not and get the type of response you are looking for.

Well, I don't have kids but I've never seen a box to check on my tax forms to opt out of paying for education. What's the difference? At least everyone can use healthcare.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Please give me the dates and times where the legislature has passed legislation in the middle of the night creating the "As these things so often go in Tallahassee" statement.

PS - My health is fine for a person my age thank you, but once again it is really none of your business. With Obamacare on the way I am sure I will have no problem finding doctors when I need one. Problem is they might say at my age I am not worth the cost any longer. Thats fine though - I can afford to pay my own way.

Oh god, you are just nit-picking. Debate the miniscule details and not the substance? Well, I know that the oil bill was passed late at night. Really unpopular legislation tends to get through committee and voted on at lightning speed. My guess is that gives the legislators an opportunity to play dumb and act as though they are shocked their vote is unpopular in their district. Then they trot out the old seat at the table line to explain why they went along.

As for the title, what non-partisan description would you prefer? I wasn't sure if deprofessionalization was an actual word.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Oh god, you are just nit-picking. Debate the miniscule details and not the substance? Well, I know that the oil bill was passed late at night. Really unpopular legislation tends to get through committee and voted on at lightning speed. My guess is that gives the legislators an opportunity to play dumb and act as though they are shocked their vote is unpopular in their district. Then they trot out the old seat at the table line to explain why they went along.

As for the title, what non-partisan description would you prefer? I wasn't sure if deprofessionalization was an actual word.

Is the statement accurate ? Would the vote have changed if it were voted on at 8:00am ? No and neither would the vote on heathcare if it had been voted on at 8:00am.

I think you were just going for sensationalism.

But post away as I plan during this election season. Glad to see all the WDEC posting in this forum again.

Last edited:
Is the statement accurate ? Would the vote have changed if it were voted on at 8:00am ? No and neither would the vote on heathcare if it had been voted on at 8:00am.

I think you were just going for sensationalism.

But post away as I plan during this election season. Glad to see all the WDEC posting in this forum again.

WDEC? What does this mean?