• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I just read this in the WZEP news report. Does anyone else think this is a bad idea for an elementary-middle school when the children are in school and the pick up and drop off traffic is as it is?

and when there is a perfectly fine, flat, open field just up the road adjacent to Topsail State Park; there is space in the park itself; and there is a great empty cleared area at the intersection of Highway 98 and 30A!

WTH are they thinking?

"CW Roberts is doing the work of resurfacing Highway 30-A. Ronnie Bell, who now works with the road paving company, requested the use of Van R. Butler Elementary as a staging area for part of the paving process. Basically the equipment will be parked there overnight during certain phases of the resurfacing. In exchange for the use of the land through May, CW Roberts will help with needed erosion control, some paving and will repair any damage to the lawn. The board expressed concerns with the equipment, traffic and security. Attorney Ben Holley noted the possible need for clearance under the Jessica Lunsford Act of the workers are on school grounds when students are present. It was pointed out they usually arrive early and leave later, and only park the equipment and then leave. Member Sharon Roberts said there is already a problem with parking when parents are dropping off and picking up students. Superintendent Anderson said the company might not need the space. The board approved."

Mark Davis is chairman of the board. I am emailing him to verify this and express my concern. If any other parent or grandparent is concerned, his email address is davisMAR@walton.k12.fl.us.

Last edited:

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
Basically the equipment will be parked there overnight during certain phases of the resurfacing. In exchange for the use of the land through May, CW Roberts will help with needed erosion control, some paving and will repair any damage to the lawn.

It was pointed out they usually arrive early and leave later, and only park the equipment and then leave.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
How late is late? Will they be parking there after SPICE is gone? or prior to SPICE leaving? I believe that SPICE is done at 6... I don't like this either & will be sending an email as well... Thanks for this post !!!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Unless there is something I am missing here, this is completely irresponsible
IMO.

It's bad enough that the resurfacing is being done in the middle of Spring Break Invasion...but to put huge construction equipment on school grounds where school and after school children are until 6 p.m. makes no sense.

I don't know of any road constrcution crew that works until or after 6 p.m. unless they are working at night and if they are working at night, then the equipment will be in use, so they will be bringing the equipment in before the students have left.

so far I have not heard from any school board member.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
I just read this in the WZEP news report. Does anyone else think this is a bad idea for an elementary-middle school when the children are in school and the pick up and drop off traffic is as it is?

and when there is a perfectly fine, flat, open field just up the road adjacent to Topsail State Park; there is space in the park itself; and there is a great empty cleared area at the intersection of Highway 98 and 30A!

WTH are they thinking?

"CW Roberts is doing the work of resurfacing Highway 30-A. Ronnie Bell, who now works with the road paving company, requested the use of Van R. Butler Elementary as a staging area for part of the paving process. Basically the equipment will be parked there overnight during certain phases of the resurfacing. In exchange for the use of the land through May, CW Roberts will help with needed erosion control, some paving and will repair any damage to the lawn. The board expressed concerns with the equipment, traffic and security. Attorney Ben Holley noted the possible need for clearance under the Jessica Lunsford Act of the workers are on school grounds when students are present. It was pointed out they usually arrive early and leave later, and only park the equipment and then leave. Member Sharon Roberts said there is already a problem with parking when parents are dropping off and picking up students. Superintendent Anderson said the company might not need the space. The board approved."

Mark Davis is chairman of the board. I am emailing him to verify this and express my concern. If any other parent or grandparent is concerned, his email address is davisMAR@walton.k12.fl.us.

Sorry, I will admit to a bad vote. I think we got this fixed. The vote was dependent on the contractor being able to comply with the Jessica Lunsford Act. Don't think it will happen. I will let you know later.

M