• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
1. skunky was being a tad bit buttheaded with his comment. I think.

2. Did your Fortune 500 friend buy up the land (where?) to preserve? tell him to get down here and buy up some more land.

3. some people feel the development is going to pump up our economy by providing jobs and attracting more residents to the area - and they may be right. but others feel the explosion of minimum wage jobs, in addition to poorly planned mass commercial development (welcome to walton county), will eventually result in depressed property values surrounding Hwy 98, effecting our entire community. I'm not at all sure which view is correct.

4. life is too short and I'm not going to grieve too much over the changing face of our beautiful town - we've watched it change for many years, and she still has much growth ahead. Instead I will remember to be grateful that a huge stretch of 98 is State Forest, on both sides, between Hwy 331 and Inlet Beach. we should be able to always keep a big slice of beautiful land for deer, bear, and the other wild things that live among us. their habitat is shrinking, but hopefully not entirely. :wave: I just enough people will get involved and help shape good development on 98, if at all possible. Too many seem to have the attitude that as long as it stays off 30A, its okay.

5. Seagrove Lover (above) may have a point. once all is said and done we just may like having ready access to more shopping, etc. however, I do feel we have gained all the conveniences we need, and more, in recent years. maybe more is better. maybe not. one thing is certain. we are going to find out.

Now why do you have to go and hate on my legit suggestion?:bicycle: Buttheads like me can't wait to buy all that cheap Wal-Mart toilet paper. See ya there, and you too Scooty and BR:wave:

Now why do you have to go and hate on my legit suggestion?:bicycle: Buttheads like me can't wait to buy all that cheap Wal-Mart toilet paper. See ya there, and you too Scooty and BR:wave:
If the SRB Walmart comes to fruition, you won't catch me there out of principle. Hubby is not belligerent like I am. So if you see our vehicle there in the future, I am not in approval.

I hope that the Walmart venture fails prior to construction in order to stop the not-too-late-to-change DESTINy of Santa Rosa Beach.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I got here before Destin Commons, Grand Boulevard, Pier Park, Watercolor Crossings, and most of the newer developments/segments of developments on 30-A.

Guess I just feel we've developed enough and that with the exception of some infrastructure improvements for full-time residents we've pretty much got everything we truly need.

If I wanted to be within 5 minutes of every chain store and big box in America I wouldn't have chosen to live here.

that's the whole truth right there scooty! at least for me, you and many others around here...

it seems the majority of residents welcome the coming developments on 98. and have eagerly awaited this explosion of conveniences. we all know what a great place this is to live - but we all have different expectations of what our community needs to offer. every time someone moves here from Atlanta or wherever, they bring with them their own expecations of what a community needs to look like and offer for their convenience, for their children, for their recreation and entertainment, etc. heck, I didn't understand the dog park necessity here - we have so many wide open outdoor spaces and places - this isn't NYC where dogs are confined to small living spaces with no real outdoor space. I understand families wanting more playground space for their children, but there is no place on earth with such big, beautiful outdoor space offered by our beaches and parks and back yards and seaside resorts - for playing, biking, boating, running, flying a kite, kicking a ball, climbing a tree, not to mention lakes, bayous, the bay, fishing, boating, surfing, swimming - our children have grown up with many friends together on the beach, eden park, etc etc etc.... so, it seems odd to hear moms new to the area saying we don't have places for our children to play. this isn't a large city where its hard to meet other moms and children. but these moms bring expectations with them from other cities/towns that involve certain playground equipment. it is not wrong to have these expectations. it is just different from my expectations or experiences in a small coastal community with so much to offer in other ways.

now, families are gaining the conveniences that they feel are truly needed. I am not really complaining because I do love how SoWal is such a wonderful place for families - our schools are starting to bust at the seams - again. and some great things happen that we can all agree to LOVE such as a hospital and wonderful medical offices, doctors, etc.... so, progress must continue.

we can still cry if we want to! wahhhhhhhh!!!

Last edited:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
2. Did your Fortune 500 friend buy up the land (where?) to preserve? tell him to get down here and buy up some more land.

I would imagine this is Ted Turner, and I am sure if he was interested in land in the Pandhandle he has already bought it.

He bought millions of acres of land out west where he could still get it relatively cheap. He is rasing bison on much of it and has turned alot into very expensive hunting and fishing private clubs.

And to some of the locals whose land he bought at foreclosure auctions that had been in their family for hundreds of years he is about as popular there as Wal-mart is on 98.

Many respect and admire Ted Turner and what he has achieved and just as many curse him. So be it also with Wal-mart.

Very few things in life occur without someone patting you on the back or someone else feeling as if you have stabbed them in the back.

Last edited:

5thGenFlo

Beach Lover
Dec 18, 2007
Nashville, TN
Change is inevitable and with every passing day we are challenged to embrace it. But I can't help but want to pause and enjoy these last few moments before change comes. Where life in this place as I knew it to be was beautiful and relaxing. Just a moment to pay my respects to the past as it slowly slips away, gone with the wind.

North Lake

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
Was just reminded of this coming home yesterday when I passed by the wreckage of what used to be Cube Magee's house at the 30A/395 intersection. In its day, it was one of the more "upscale" homes on the beach in Seagrove -- now a pile of splinters and bricks, and soon to be a vacant lot for redevelopment I suppose.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
This is just one person's opinion.
Much is being made of the WalMart going in on 98. I wonder how many have really analyzed where it is, what is across from it and how the development on "scenic 98" is progressing? At this point in time, 98 is four lanes. Last week, while I was gone, Goodwitch 58 complained about being tied up due to excessive traffic, if I remember correctly. Six lanes may be a solution, right? The point is, "scenic 98" is anything but scenic until the Washington National Forest begins and then it is protected from development. We should get real about what is "scenic" around here and what isn't. What is reasonable for development and what isn't. What should be designated as "scenic" and what should not. I, for one, welcome the new WalMart as it will eventually benefit all in the area, both tourists and locals.
I have owned here since 1991 and, for the most part, feel 30A has developed relatively well. I do not see pretentious, ugly high rises such as in Destin and Panama City. Maybe I am more acceptable to change than some. I am quite content with the general progression occurring in SoWal. It will happen. Our only job is to make sure it occurs with consideration for what we have, wish to maintain and value so highly without going overboard regarding our growth.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Anyone know when construction starts and the projected opening date?

A spokesperson told us they anticipated starting construction in late 2010 or early 2011. She said the project is expected to take a year to complete.

This legal notice recently appeared regarding the DEP permit for the store:

STATE OF FLORIDA
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
NOTICE OF INTENT TO ISSUE PERMIT
The Department of Environmental Protection gives notice of its intent to issue an environmental resources individual stormwater permit for ?Wal-Mart Store #5872-00?, Permit Number 66-0201129-004-SI, to J. Chris Callaway, Regional Vice President, Wal-Mart Stores East, at 2001 S.E. 10th Street, Bentonville, Arkansas 72716.
The purpose of the permit is to authorize construction of a new shopping center, plus related infrastructure, including a stormwater management system, on approximately 10.15-acres of a 105.5-acre parcel. Stormwater treatment will be provided via a dry retention pond. Post-development discharge rates will be controlled. A portion of the site development contains jurisdictional wetlands, for which a separate wetland resource management permit has been issued.
Proper erosion control measures will be employed during construction.
The project will be located on the northwest corner of U.S. 98 and West Hewitt Road, east of Sandestin, in Walton County, Florida.
Based on all the above, and with the application of general and limiting specific conditions of the permit, the Department has reasonable assurance the project, as proposed, fully meets the environmental resources permitting stormwater requirements of Chapter 62-346, Florida Administrative Code, and will not harm the environment.
A person whose substantial interests are affected by the Department?s action may petition for an administrative proceeding (hearing) under Sections 120.569 and 120.57 of the Florida Statute. The petition must contain the information set forth below and must be filed (received by the clerk) in the Office of General Counsel of the Department at 3900 Commonwealth Boulevard, Mail Station 35, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3000.
Because the administrative hearing process is designed to re-determine final agency action on the application, the filing of a petition for an administrative hearing may result in a modification of the permit, or even a denial of the application. Accordingly, the applicant will not commence construction or other activities under this permit until the deadlines below for filing a petition for an administrative hearing, or request for an extension of time, have expired.
Under subsection 62-110.106(4) of the Florida Administrative Code, a person whose substantial interests are affected by the Department?s action may also request an extension of time to file a petition for an administrative hearing. The Department may, for good cause shown, grant the request for an extension of time. Requests for extension of time must be filed with the Office of General Counsel of the Department at 3900 Commonwealth Boulevard, Mail Station 35, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3000, before the applicable deadline. A timely request for extension of time shall toll the running time period for filing a petition until the request is acted upon. If a request is filed late, the Department may still grant it upon a motion by the requesting party showing that the failure to file a request for an extension of time before the deadline was the result of excusable neglect.
In the event that a timely and sufficient petition for an administrative hearing is filed, other persons whose substantial interests will be affected by the outcome of the administrative process have the right to petition to intervene in the proceeding. Intervention will be only at the discretion of the presiding officer upon the filing of a motion in compliance with Rule 28-106.205 of the Florida Administrative Code.
In accordance with subsection 28-106.111(2) and subparagraph 62-110.106(3)(a).4, Florida Administrative Code, petitions for an administrative hearing by the applicant must be filed within 21 days of receipt of written notice. Petitions filed by any persons other than the applicant, and other than those entitled to written notice under Section 120.60(3) of the Florida Statutes, must be filed within 21 days of publication of the notice.
Under Section 120.60(3) of the Florida Statute, however, any person who has asked the Department for notice of agency action may file a petition within 21 days of such notice, regardless of the date of publication.
The petitioner shall mail a copy of the petition to the applicant at the address indicated above at the time of filing. The failure of any person to file a petition for an administrative hearing within the appropriate time period shall constitute a waiver of those rights.
A petition that disputes the material facts on which the Department?s action is based must contain the following information:
(a) The name and address of each agency affected and each agency?s file or identification number, if known;
(b) The name, address, and telephone number of the petitioner; the name, address, and telephone number of the petitioner?s representative, if any, which shall be the address for service purposes during the course of the proceeding; and an explanation of how the petitioner?s substantial interests are or will be affected by the agency determination;
(c) A statement of when and how the petitioner received notice of the agency decision;
(d) A statement of all disputed issues of material fact. If there are none, the petition must so indicate;
(e) A concise statement of the ultimate facts alleged, including the specific facts that the petitioner contends warrant reversal or modification of the agency?s proposed action;
(f) A statement of the specific rules or statutes that the petitioner contends require reversal or modification of the agency?s proposed action; and
(g) A statement of the relief sought by the petitioner, stating precisely the action that the petitioner wishes the agency to take with respect to the agency?s proposed action.
A petition that does not dispute the material facts on which the Department?s action is based shall state that no such facts are in dispute and otherwise shall contain the same information as set forth above, as required by Rule 28-106.301, Florida Administrative Code. Under Sections 120.569(2)(c) and (d) of the Florida Statute, a petition for administrative hearing must be dismissed by the agency if the petition does not substantially comply with the above requirements or is untimely filed.
This action is final and effective on the date filed with the Clerk of the Department unless a petition is filed in accordance with the above. Upon the timely filing of petition this order will not be effective until further order of the Department.
This permit, when issued, constitutes an order of the Department. The applicant has the right to seek judicial review of the order under Section 120.68 of the Florida Statute, by the filing of a notice of appeal under Rule 9.110 of the Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure with the Clerk of the Department in the Office of General Counsel, 3900 Commonwealth Boulevard, Mail Station 35, Tallahassee, Florida, 32399-3000; and by filing a copy of the notice of the appeal accompanied by the applicable filing fees with the appropriate district court of appeal. The notice of appeal must be filed within 30 days from the date when the final order is filed with the Clerk of the Department.
The application for this permit is available for public inspection during normal business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays, at the Northwest District office, 160 Governmental Center, Pensacola, Florida.
1tc: April 15, 2010 813L
?????????????????????????????